Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:45 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Stop replying to these questionable newbies that have a few posts and most of them involve disparaging posts about Texas to goad Texas forum posters. Clearly Yellow Pool is not serious. His posts are incoherent and NerdLord happened to join us just last month to start bashing in the Texas forum too. How have you guys not figured it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 11:44 AM

439 posts, read 437,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I was referring to the public university system, not the elementary & secondary levels. They (K-12) are roughly on a par with those in Texas.

The university educated private sector types seem to be leaving in droves. But that's another topic.
Ever wonder why colleges have to include intro classes? Students are entering college unprepared. Example? The myth about how science and religion have been at perpetual war with each other in history. The truth is that religion gave birth to science with Islam digging up Aristotle's works and Catholicism advancing upon it. Prior to that time, math served as the science. Professors in intro classes today are having to go to war with students in order to get them turned around.

Another example of student disillusionment? That change for the sake if change is a virtue and that we have to cut ourselves off as a great rise of mankind over a foolish past. In actuality, our Founders were not mutually separated from the past, but the vast majority of the foundation they stood upon was inherited from their own founding ancestors. Unlike the great ones in power today, our Founders did not recognize their own greatness - stand upon themselves - but they were later recognised by the American transcendentalists of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Thoreou, Samuel Clemens, and so on.

Just consider how Sir Isaac Newton believed in the fall of mankind? Unlike the contention of our president in power now, change is not a virtue. It is a means to an end, not a glorious end.

Last edited by Yellow pool of piddle; 08-12-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Stop replying to these questionable newbies that have a few posts and most of them involve disparaging posts about Texas to goad Texas forum posters. Clearly Yellow Pool is not serious. His posts are incoherent and NerdLord happened to join us just last month to start bashing in the Texas forum too. How have you guys not figured it out?
You are attempting to establish the truth here by a show of hands. My argument is that thattype of thinking is not rational, but definitive. Another way people vote, having to uproot themselves painfully in the process, is with their feet. They are moving away today from corruption towards the truth. This is why Marxist nations have to close their borders.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:04 PM

Exhibit A people ^

Old 08-12-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Exhibit A people ^
Law is irrational. In fact, a good argument can be made that it is the perfect lie. You think I'm the only one crazy here? We are all having to endure the idiocy of science spending lots of money making rational recommendations only so the irrational law-makers can make the final determinations.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
Law is irrational. In fact, a good argument can be made that it is the perfect lie. You think I'm the only one crazy here? We are all having to endure the idiocy of science spending lots of money making rational recommendations only so the irrational law-makers can make the final determinations.
And you learned all this at IH because you were oh so lucky to attend a Texas university because Texas is the best and even better than Harvard. Harvard doesn't teach Socrates and that's why people have voted with their feet to go to Texas schools, eh?

Old 08-12-2016, 12:40 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
This thread is getting pretty funny. Rice is the best university in the state of Texas. UT is certainly the best public university in the state and it exceeds many flagship universities. Many OOS students apply to UT because of the quality of education and the cost is less than many state public and private schools. This coming from another UofH graduate.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
And you learned all this at IH because you were oh so lucky to attend a Texas university because Texas is the best and even better than Harvard. Harvard doesn't teach Socrates and that's why people have voted with their feet to go to Texas schools, eh?
To win an argument, the sophists in ancient Greece had to establish that the best conclusion one could ever acheive was an opinion. In contrast, the Greek philosophers didn't disagree with them, but showed that quality formal truths could be acheived by the use of rational truth engines.

Similarly, there exists an absolute American who is neither this liberal nor that conservative. What is an American is not a matter of opinion. I think the state of Texas best exemplifies this America and its education system best teaches it.

Last edited by Yellow pool of piddle; 08-12-2016 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 08-12-2016, 01:14 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
...Yellow Piddle

Have you read the textbooks the Texas Board of Education has a adopted? They're a mess and one of the reasons my kids attend private elementary school. Texas doesn't have the best education system. I'm a 3rd+ (don't know how far back yet because we haven't done our genealogy) gen Texan who is ashamed by how badly our school stacks up overall to so many states. The K-12 problems can't help but negatively affect our state's universities. I used to be a college librarian and I was dismayed by how ill prepared so many of the students I encountered were for college level work.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:05 PM

214 posts, read 214,584 times
Quote:
He clearly is serious. The guy is going on for half a dozen posts about the almighty UT. I'm sorry it's embarrassing to you but from my experience this is typical Texan behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: