Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:05 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,411,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It is a huge PITA and involves a bus ride from DFW airport to the DFW station that is weirdly located not in the airport but in an office park a couple miles away;
What? You must have done it many many years ago. DART train service connects directly to DFW Airport in Terminal A. Are you talking about Love Field? There you have to ride a dedicated shuttle bus to connect to DART rail. And to get to Mockingbird Station from DFW, you just take the Orange line through downtown and then north. No train change needed. The Orange Line trains go from DFW all the way to Plano.

Quote:
The cities of Plano and Richardson, with their superior school districts, are able to attract companies to the area without having to bribe them with hard earned tax payer money.
WRONG! The cities of Plano & Richardson both offer massive tax subsidies to lure companies. Whether those subsidies are worth it or not is a question, but they give companies just as much as Dallas does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 02:59 PM

439 posts, read 437,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
What? You must have done it many many years ago. DART train service connects directly to DFW Airport in Terminal A. Are you talking about Love Field? There you have to ride a dedicated shuttle bus to connect to DART rail. And to get to Mockingbird Station from DFW, you just take the Orange line through downtown and then north. No train change needed. The Orange Line trains go from DFW all the way to Plano.

WRONG! The cities of Plano & Richardson both offer massive tax subsidies to lure companies. Whether those subsidies are worth it or not is a question, but they give companies just as much as Dallas does.
Indeed, regarding Dart connecting downtown Dallas to Love Field airport, the job is 95% complete.

Regarding the second part of your comment, back when my younger brother went to Plano High School in the seventies, the quality of education in that city was already renowned. My point is that the only way to stop the pimping process of cities bribing corporations with hard earned tax payer money is to continue raising the standard of education. I am almost willing to wager the life of my sweet ex mother n law that doing away with air conditioning in the schools would raise the average grade point average by a point. So, one can imagine how even more beneficial it would be if the whole region did away with equality based education.
Again, the reason for implementing a policy of affirmative action was to correct offenses in the past that made many disadvantaged. Instead, assuming the rich kids still get passed on at the Ivy league schools, the students getting the best educations today, those still having to open books, learn to read and write, pass tests, and acheive a passing grade, are those same poor white males who would graduate and possibly become racists.

Last edited by Yellow pool of piddle; 09-01-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 10:06 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,411,548 times
Quote:
My point is that the only way to stop the pimping process of cities bribing corporations with hard earned tax payer money is to continue raising the standard of education.
Well then your point is wrong, because Plano gives both local tax breaks and borrows from the official Texas Enterprise Fund to draw corporations to their borders and it's public schools are decently highly rated so there isn't much higher they could realistically go. There are tons of cities they compete with who also have quality high school education and high quality university education in the same borders which Plano lacks. The only way to stop giving tax money to renegade corporations is to grow local business (and education is a part of that) and then national business will come of their own accord.

I don't really understand the rest of your post, but I'm not sure taking away the A/C in schools would have any kind of positive result.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Well then your point is wrong, because Plano gives both local tax breaks and borrows from the official Texas Enterprise Fund to draw corporations to their borders and it's public schools are decently highly rated so there isn't much higher they could realistically go. There are tons of cities they compete with who also have quality high school education and high quality university education in the same borders which Plano lacks. The only way to stop giving tax money to renegade corporations is to grow local business (and education is a part of that) and then national business will come of their own accord.

I don't really understand the rest of your post, but I'm not sure taking away the A/C in schools would have any kind of positive result.
My grandparents on my fathers side didn't have air conditioning in the one room school house they attended.
Do you understand the need for intro classes in college? Students are graduating from high school unprepared for college. Professors first have to confront fallacies that were taught to them before any productive advancement can be made in their learning. Instead of competing to further the quality of education, we are educating kids on the philosophy of equality. Problem is, there is no such philosophy as that idea is a false virtue. We all know this. We are just afraid to admit to it for fear of being smashed undr foot.
And what is a major fallacy taught to children nowadays? The idea that, in the past, science and religion were at war with each other. What is the truth? Well, religion gave birth to science. First Islam dug up the works of Aristotle and then Cathlicism (Christianity) further developed it.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:14 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
I see the city of Dallas as the primary rotten core poisoning the North Texas region. The cities of Plano and Richardson, with their superior school districts, are able to attract companies to the area without having to bribe them with hard earned tax payer money. In the Houston area, the same is true of Katy. Why enable this inner city corruption by living in the cities that sponsor it?
Katy-town is rotten. Cinco Ranch is a whole other world and they are connected by Pin Oak/Westheimer Parkway. Katy ISD is decent--quality runs the gamut from exemplary in SW Katy to above-average in the older parts.

All the developments in the Katy area are in the Houston ETJ. Don't know if the Katy City Council is inept or listening to the voters who desperately want to keep the small-town atmosphere by encouraging development in Houston to keep the transplants out.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Katy-town is rotten. Cinco Ranch is a whole other world and they are connected by Pin Oak/Westheimer Parkway. Katy ISD is decent--quality runs the gamut from exemplary in SW Katy to above-average in the older parts.

All the developments in the Katy area are in the Houston ETJ. Don't know if the Katy City Council is inept or listening to the voters who desperately want to keep the small-town atmosphere by encouraging development in Houston to keep the transplants out.
I differentiate what is quality education from equality based philosophically. Quality based education requires some effort as it is uphill. In contrast, equality based education is downhill in effort. As we are all equal, so some of us shouldn't be made to open a book, learn to read or write, study, take tests, or achieve a passing grade point average. In a quality based education system, the teachers are adults. In contrast, in an equality based education system, the teachers become equal with the students who have been provided with legal rights. Whenever there is a probem between a student and a teacher in an equality based education system, the two are called into the principle's office to resolve the problem between the two.

Understanding what is an equality based education system in contrast to an equality one as defined above, the Katy and Plano I.S.D.'s are far superior to either HISD or DISD. School systems shouldn't vomit future criminals into society, but graduate productive citizens.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:08 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
I differentiate what is quality education from equality based philosophically. Quality based education requires some effort as it is uphill. In contrast, equality based education is downhill in effort. As we are all equal, so some of us shouldn't be made to open a book, learn to read or write, study, take tests, or achieve a passing grade point average. In a quality based education system, the teachers are adults. In contrast, in an equality based education system, the teachers become equal with the students who have been provided with legal rights. Whenever there is a probem between a student and a teacher in an equality based education system, the two are called into the principle's office to resolve the problem between the two.

Understanding what is an equality based education system in contrast to an equality one as defined above, the Katy and Plano I.S.D.'s are far superior to either HISD or DISD. School systems shouldn't vomit future criminals into society, but graduate productive citizens.
I was talking about distribution of resources. The best teachers, newest schools, shiniest athletic facilities, etc. are in South of I-10, particularly in rapidly-booming, affluent SW Katy. The okay teachers, older schools, well-maintained athletic facilities, etc. are generally north of I-10. But those less-affluent parts of Katy ISD are really on par with the best that neighboring Alief ISD or HISD (West Memorial portion) can muster.

But when you have affluent homebuyers looking to move into the far reaches of suburbia, they will definitely choose the best the district can offer. Those who can afford the affluent areas with the best teacher and newer infrastructure will swarm to SW Katy over settling in the okay areas. Developers of master-planned communities make this inequality a selling point!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I was talking about distribution of resources. The best teachers, newest schools, shiniest athletic facilities, etc. are in South of I-10, particularly in rapidly-booming, affluent SW Katy. The okay teachers, older schools, well-maintained athletic facilities, etc. are generally north of I-10. But those less-affluent parts of Katy ISD are really on par with the best that neighboring Alief ISD or HISD (West Memorial portion) can muster.

But when you have affluent homebuyers looking to move into the far reaches of suburbia, they will definitely choose the best the district can offer. Those who can afford the affluent areas with the best teacher and newer infrastructure will swarm to SW Katy over settling in the okay areas. Developers of master-planned communities make this inequality a selling point!
In Plato's dialogue Meno, Socrates taught the mind of a slave to advance. So, an abundance of resources is not required in order to teach. That is just the typical argument made by government for spending all our hard earned money. The idea of education is to advance upwards. Effort needs to be made. Little bodies need to be made to sit still so that the marbles in their head will roll around. Our society has been sickened recently by an over abundance of psycho-babble. Contrary to what these modern sophisticated claim today, it was always the parents who knew what they were doing in raising children and not the village of weirdos now in control.
It is high time we put the cognitive scientists where they belong. Their titles should not be certified as scientists, but decertified as artists. Think about it! If an artistic psychologist had his and/or her mental patients to work on as their art, they would then be more willing to starve for them. Let's hear Dr. Phil do a show on that!
Side note, as humans have to teach their children to sit still in order for their minds to work, resourceful mother dolphins have to teach their babies to dive deeper into the water in order to exercize their lungs. They have to be abusive as they have to force their babies down placing themselves between them and the surface of the water.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:20 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,219,204 times
I don't know. I've met a lot of stupid parents. Also, sitting still is not always the best way to learn. Have you every been to a Montessori school? The students at those schools are often academically ahead of their peers in similar schools and they don't sit still in a traditional setting at all. You'll see some kids sitting on the floor doing work, some cleaning the classroom, some getting a lesson from the teacher, and maybe a few doing works at a table.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I don't know. I've met a lot of stupid parents. Also, sitting still is not always the best way to learn. Have you every been to a Montessori school? The students at those schools are often academically ahead of their peers in similar schools and they don't sit still in a traditional setting at all. You'll see some kids sitting on the floor doing work, some cleaning the classroom, some getting a lesson from the teacher, and maybe a few doing works at a table.
When I was attending school in the seventies,certain subjects like PE (Physical Education) were deemed BS as everyone attending the course received an A. Now as certain disadvantaged students will receive an A regardless, because teachers are too afraid to award them otherwise, the whole education system is becoming BS as everyone being equal should receive an A. I am not questioning the integrity of teachers here.
I witnessed this nonsense firsthand in a literature class after going back to college. The minorities didn't have to open a book, do homework, pass tests, or acheive a passing grade. This brings down the level of education for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas