Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:28 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
We we live in CA now, but my son graduated high school in Texas and now attends UCLA. He's going into junior year and is compiling a list of Med Schools to apply to. He still has a thing for Texas so we are both just trying to get info. Most of his buddies are at A&M so he knows of the big schools, but wants to investigate some of the smaller ones too.....thx
Well, good luck to him. I would encourage him to apply widely, both in terms of location and ranking of schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
That is great. I actually had a good friend go to UNT HSC when the hospital was still there off Camp Bowie.

My son is debating between MD and DO schools which UNT is one. It seems that it comes down to, within the profession the MDs have a bit of a superiority complex. However in doing research there is no difference in their licensing or ability to choose specialties.

As someone who has a background in Healthcare Administration and knows a lot of physicians (including the one I've lived with for almost 20 years), I'm going to disagree slightly here. I would say that the allopathic/MD degree is absolutely the preferred option for someone who wants to go into a specialty that is more than even moderately competitive. It is extremely difficult for someone with a DO degree to match into an allopathic residency in a field such as Plastics, Ortho or Derm, for example. The MD degree will afford him more options. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-15-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 02:48 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
Quote:
We we live in CA now, but my son graduated high school in Texas and now attends UCLA. He's going into junior year and is compiling a list of Med Schools to apply to. He still has a thing for Texas so we are both just trying to get info. Most of his buddies are at A&M so he knows of the big schools, but wants to investigate some of the smaller ones too.....thx
Best of luck to your son,OP.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
[/b]

As someone who has a background in Healthcare Administration and knows a lot of physicians (including the one I've lived with for almost 20 years), I'm going to disagree slightly here. I would say that the allopathic/MD degree is absolutely the preferred option for someone who wants to go into a specialty that is more than even moderately competitive. It is extremely difficult for someone with a DO degree to match into an allopathic residency in a field such as Plastics, Ortho or Derm, for example. The MD degree will afford him more options. Just my opinion.

Yeah its funny that was his opinion as well from everything he heard, but then on the otherside the DOs will tell you the opposite, Im sure the truth is on the individual experience.....thx

Old 09-16-2016, 06:07 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
I also work in healthcare. MD is strongly preferred to DO in most specialties. If he wants to do internal medicine or family practice, then it doesn't really matter.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:37 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
[/b]

AGREED. If your son wants to get to a competitive specialty and residency, he should go to the best MD schools he can get to. Certainly DO and even foreign medical graduate can get to competitive specialty and residency but it is much much much more difficult!

Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
He's also considering the military option, the benefits are amazing for med students. Of course you still have the same issues as far as picking medical schools....thx all.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:18 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Be careful with military medical school. They don't require a residency, unlike civilian medical school. You end up having to do your residency after you retire at age 40+. Not good. I have a good friend who went through that, and it was a very tough year!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
Quote:
He's also considering the military option, the benefits are amazing for med students. Of course you still have the same issues as far as picking medical schools....thx all.
I certainly don't think it is a good option. Med school is four years. If they pay for those years, the service requirement is probably 4 years. You earn much more as civilian.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:38 AM

286 posts, read 569,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
AGREED. If your son wants to get to a competitive specialty and residency, he should go to the best MD schools he can get to. Certainly DO and even foreign medical graduate can get to competitive specialty and residency but it is much much much more difficult!
The order is MD>DO>IMG, all things being equal. That being said, there are plenty of DOs and Caribbean graduates that have done fine. And more and more DO schools are opening which is effectively pushing out the ability of a Carib graduate to get a job (or even 3rd and 4th year rotations in the states). It all comes down to test scores and whom you know. A little known fact is that the ACGME and the AOA have now merged, and all DO students will apply to the MD match sometime in the next few years. Initial plan was 2018, but now it's probably 2020 or later. Single GME Accreditation System

My suggestion, having spent the last 5 years mentoring students in Texas and other states, is to go to the school that costs the least. Graduating in 2021 with $300,000-$400,000 of debt is an incredibly uphill climb due to the interest. Remember, they're not earning enough to pay down that principle until 2024 or beyond, so there are people finishing residency today that owe upwards of $600,000 secondary to compound interest and principalization.

If they want to be a military doctor, then by all means have at it. Realize that the government might not choose your specialty anymore, but they might not let you do it until you complete your contract. That means doing an internship then a GMO tour. And even if you do get into a military or civilian residency, you then have to work for the government for 4+ years. The math does come a lot closer to breaking even than it used to, but the military pays 50% or less what the private sector does. Each person is different, and again, if you want to serve the country, it's a great way to do so.

Beyond that, any of the schools in Texas will be better options than out of state. It's a cost benefit analysis. Each has merits, and you should look at what residencies are available at each school to determine the best fit. If your son wants to do orthopedics, he should go to a school with an orthopedics residency so he can get the best mentorship. Same goes for any specialty. If he hasn't decided, go to the one with the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas