Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 7,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It means that among those many Hispanics there may be some that prefer to speak Spanish as English may not be their first language. Even if they know English they might be more comfortable speaking Spanish and doing business in Spanish. That's why many employers especially in retail and sales find being bilingual an asset. It's that simple. If you didn't know this then you're not familiar with living and working in large cities with big Hispanic populations.

Is that clear enough, bruh?
San antonio is an exception, most hispanics there prefer english over spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 10:09 PM

124 posts, read 121,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread
I've lived in Austin for 16-years and have seen this same sob story so many times. People move here and can't hack it, so they complain about how terrible Austin is and how much better (insert city) is. I find Austin to be a clean, friendly, well-educated city full of wonderful people and tons of recreational activity. But if you're going to make it here then you can't spend all your money in restaurants while expecting to make a certain amount of money just because you have a degree. Everyone has a degree; you're not special. What else do you bring to the table? What SKILLS do you have? That's what sets you apart from everyone else.

And I don't buy this bias against out of staters at all, or there wouldn't be so many living here. Just where I work alone over half of the employees are from other states/countries and only one person is actually from Austin. You're grasping at straws trying to make it sound like Austin is out to get you.

I hope you enjoy San Antonio; you're one of the only people I've ever heard of who thinks it's better than Austin in any way other than being cheaper. If you really just want to have a higher salary abnd go to nice restaurants, then Houston is even better (hope you enjoy humidity and ZERO natural beauty, though).

Whining on here changes nobody's opinion and I honestly don't see the point of your post. You're not stopping anyone from coming here, so please head down to San Antonio and take your negativity with you. Fact is, there are many people in line waiting to take your place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
This is the exact kind of attitude people have in Austin. These people act like Austin is the Premiere city of Texas and that no other city will do. But how dare anyone say anything bad about their precious city, oh my. Oh our city has so much recreation to do, yeah if you like hiking on unmarked, unpaved and need a machete to walk through the trails then its 'A' okay.

1. When is the last time you have been on the job market to look for the job?

2. When is the last time you walked by any creek in Texas or better yet any medians or roadways?

3. When is the last time you walked on any trails other than the ones around Zilker park?

4. Why does the city have low wages and high cost of living? (Even other long term residents have told us that Austin has low wages, so your not that special)

5. Why are long term residents considering moving if Austin is so great?

6. Why do you think Austin is all that great? Especially when other cities are 100 times better than Austin, especially if you include the nation.

7. Just because people move here doesn't mean its a booming city (ie its just not about numbers)?

8. If you were honest, you would say that there isn't much to do at all here wouldn't you? What city has so few entertainment options, even Columbus has a pro sports team. 3 major stadiums. 2 major successful malls, what does Austin have?

To elaborate some more, if I had to guess you haven't been on the job market lately and you have no idea what it is like jobs are extremely competitive, I had one interviewer tell me they had over 200 applicants for ONE position.

On the trash part, I have a place where I walk during my lunch break everyday, and it has trash all along the road that has been there for weeks and no one has picked it up, we are paying for clean streets and yet the city isn't taking care of its streets. The weeds in the Median are at least 8' tall, doesn't Austin take care of its city????????????? There is trash in the creeks, that no one cleans. Very few asphalt or concrete trails to walk on and the asphalt trails are either washed out in places or it is in such disrepair and hard to walk on. The creek behind Mary Moore park is full of trash the shelter will normally have tons of trash in them, there is graffiti everywhere. There are homeless people that stay at Mary Moore park and have everything they own in their cars and they spread it out all over there.

I seen that you never mentioned anything about the low wage paying jobs here and the high cost of living, so you must acknowledge that part is true. We have many friends that have lived in Austin for over 20 years who acknowledge that the jobs here are low paying, they plan on moving because it is getting too expensive even for them. So if they are leaving then what makes you so special?

Btw, we know for a fact that SA takes care of their parks and has more concrete or Asphalt trails than Austin does, so we can definitely say that SA is way better in that department, and their parks are 50 times better, how can Austin even think they can compete with the River Walk? (which is about 20 miles long)

No missy your attitude (and many other Austin people), low wages and high cost of living is why newcomers aren't staying.

I like how this guy/girl came on here made a big rant about people out of state, then he/she doesn't take the time to respond to my view on things, to us this is how Austin people really are, and this is proof of how they treat people from out of state too.

I will reiterate again, the only reason we chose Austin was because we thought there would be more/better job opportunities in Austin, we didn't know the market was so flooded with techs or administration people, or we would have chosen San Antonio first, because we thoroughly enjoyed SA way more than we did Austin and this was before we even moved here. But as I look at the number SA really isn't that bad compared to the nation, there seems to be really good jobs there, and we both truly believe there is way better recreation in SA, we think of SA as a hidden gem. We didn't choose Dallas because of the reason with his incident down town and the people (with the exception of a few) seemed to be standoffish if that makes sense, so we narrowed it down to two Austin and San Antonio, we didn't have time to go to Houston as we were only visiting for a week, so we didn't get a vibe for that city. We may try to go next weekend though.

I wish they would expand I-35, it really needs to be 4-5 lanes between Austin and SA.

Last edited by daisyschic; 10-02-2016 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Duplicates

Old 10-02-2016, 10:54 PM

394 posts, read 435,261 times
Tech is "ok" in Houston, a lot of C#/.NET(mainly for industry)... but it is the funnest city "overall" to me

Houston will have the most "to do" in my honest opinion out of any Texas city and the most "well rounded people"(generally speaking)

Last edited by The_Man74; 10-02-2016 at 11:32 PM..

Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
I like how this guy/girl came on here made a big rant about people out of state, then he/she doesn't take the time to respond to my view on things, to us this is how Austin people really are, and this is proof of how they treat people from out of state too.
Sorry, I have other things to do than waiting on thread replies on city-data.com

And I did already respond to your "view on things", in that it is completely inaccurate, and you didn't respond to any of my questions either about skills and experience, but here you go:

Quote:
1. When is the last time you have been on the job market to look for the job?
2-years ago.

Quote:
2. When is the last time you walked by any creek in Texas or better yet any medians or roadways?
All the time. I'm an avid runner and am on various trails/roadways in the North Austin area multiple times per week.

Quote:
3. When is the last time you walked on any trails other than the ones around Zilker park?
I run on the trails in my neighborhood, as well as other parks multiple times per week.

Quote:
4. Why does the city have low wages and high cost of living? (Even other long term residents have told us that Austin has low wages, so your not that special)
In my industry (software), Austin pays better than any other city in the state. For other jobs? Probably because they have no trouble filling open positions, therefore they don't have to pay as much. Simple economics. There are many more people who want to live here than people like you who want to leave, so there is never a shortage. Just look at other places like in California where the cost of living is exponentially higher and wages aren't high enough to match, yet they have no trouble getting people to move there in droves.

Quote:
5. Why are long term residents considering moving if Austin is so great?
Because they can't afford to live here anymore. Either that, or they can't deal with change, which is a common thread. There are a lot of people in Austin who want it to stay exactly the same as it was 30-years ago and don't want it to ever change at all. That is a very unrealistic mentality, and honestly quite ridiculous. Every place changes, good or bad, and you either deal with it or you move.

Quote:
6. Why do you think Austin is all that great? Especially when other cities are 100 times better than Austin, especially if you include the nation.
This is purely subjective. Some people like other cities better, so people like Austin better. You are trying to make the case that San Antonio is some utopia compared to Austin, so your opinion on what cities are better is already invalid as far as I'm concerned just based on that. And as for why I think Austin is all that great, I already gave my reasons in my first post. I love the vibe, the people, the culture and the landscape. I love the community I live in. I have not been to many cities with the character that Austin has, nor such a strong economy and low unemployment rate.

Quote:
7. Just because people move here doesn't mean its a booming city (ie its just not about numbers)?
Um, that is LITERALLY the definitely of a booming city: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomtown

Quote:
8. If you were honest, you would say that there isn't much to do at all here wouldn't you? What city has so few entertainment options, even Columbus has a pro sports team. 3 major stadiums. 2 major successful malls, what does Austin have?
No, if I were honest, that's not what I would say at all. There is so much to do here that I can never do it all. A plethora of outdoor activities (sports, hiking, boating, canoeing) both in and around Austin, not to mention that you can enjoy them nearly year-round (have fun doing anything outdoors in Columbus in the winter). Social events, countless festivals, F1 racing, live music.... etc. Malls and pro sports teams? This isn't that kind of city. If that's what you want then Dallas or Houston are for you. I don't care about pro sports, and if I really want to hang out at a mall (ugh), then between the Domain, Barton Creek and Lakeline I have more than enough options.

If you're bored in a city with this much going on all the time, then you're not even making an effort.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris bauer View Post
San antonio is an exception, most hispanics there prefer english over spanish.

Both times we visited SA we never had any problems, plus looking at the job openings I have yet to run into one that prefers you to be bilingual.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
They are both big Texas cities with (generally) very good economies, but other than that you could not be more wrong man

Houston is much less pretentious than Dallas. It has a coast. It is bigger, which is a fact. It's arguable that it's more "urban" but most tend to say it is. There's just ALOT more to do in Houston honestly. People will tend to be more friendly, laid back, and down to Earth in Houston. I think the OP needs to realize the different "personalities" amongst the Texas cities.

We actually would like to retire in Texas and we enjoy the nature down here very much, however we have to make a decent living. So we do care about Texas, we just could do without the pretentious attitudes that we have came acrossed here in Austin, Texas. More about that in my other post, that I am working on writing.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Sorry, I have other things to do than waiting on thread replies on city-data.com

And I did already respond to your "view on things", in that it is completely inaccurate, and you didn't respond to any of my questions either about skills and experience, but here you go:

2-years ago.

All the time. I'm an avid runner and am on various trails/roadways in the North Austin area multiple times per week.

I run on the trails in my neighborhood, as well as other parks multiple times per week.

In my industry (software), Austin pays better than any other city in the state. For other jobs? Probably because they have no trouble filling open positions, therefore they don't have to pay as much. Simple economics. There are many more people who want to live here than people like you who want to leave, so there is never a shortage. Just look at other places like in California where the cost of living is exponentially higher and wages aren't high enough to match, yet they have no trouble getting people to move there in droves.

Because they can't afford to live here anymore. Either that, or they can't deal with change, which is a common thread. There are a lot of people in Austin who want it to stay exactly the same as it was 30-years ago and don't want it to ever change at all. That is a very unrealistic mentality, and honestly quite ridiculous. Every place changes, good or bad, and you either deal with it or you move.

This is purely subjective. Some people like other cities better, so people like Austin better. You are trying to make the case that San Antonio is some utopia compared to Austin, so your opinion on what cities are better is already invalid as far as I'm concerned just based on that. And as for why I think Austin is all that great, I already gave my reasons in my first post. I love the vibe, the people, the culture and the landscape. I love the community I live in. I have not been to many cities with the character that Austin has, nor such a strong economy and low unemployment rate.

Um, that is LITERALLY the definitely of a booming city: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomtown

No, if I were honest, that's not what I would say at all. There is so much to do here that I can never do it all. A plethora of outdoor activities (sports, hiking, boating, canoeing) both in and around Austin, not to mention that you can enjoy them nearly year-round (have fun doing anything outdoors in Columbus in the winter). Social events, countless festivals, F1 racing, live music.... etc. Malls and pro sports teams? This isn't that kind of city. If that's what you want then Dallas or Houston are for you. I don't care about pro sports, and if I really want to hang out at a mall (ugh), then between the Domain, Barton Creek and Lakeline I have more than enough options.

If you're bored in a city with this much going on all the time, then you're not even making an effort.
This goes to you and Falconheadwest
Before I get to your comments: Columbus actually has two pro sports teams and 3 other major stadiums (which I initially forgot about because I am not into soccer at all), which means Columbus has 5 major stadiums, and Austin is lucky to have 2 and from what I hear Nolan Ryan may pull out the RR express, which may leave Austin down to only one. My My, I mean it may not matter to you, but to many other Americans it does matter.
Here are the 5 major stadiums:
About MAPFRE Stadium | Columbus Crew SC

Welcome to Nationwide Arena!

Huntington Park: Home of the Columbus Clippers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Stadium

The best stadium in the whole damn land:
OhioStateBuckeyes.com :: The Ohio State University Official Athletic Site

The two major malls (successful) again it may not matter to you, but to many Americans its does:

The Mall at Tuttle Crossing® - A Shopping Center In Dublin, OH 43016-1537 - A Simon Property

Polaris Fashion Place | Columbus, OH Shopping Mall

Columbus has the best zoo in the nation:

https://www.columbuszoo.org/

Which zoo is No.1? | The Columbus Dispatch

On your second point I think this guy says it better than me about the software stuff and is more suited to talk about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
Plano is EXCELLENT for IT... I actually work in that area currently and my salary is very very good. At 28, I doubt I would get paid this well anywhere else in TX besides a few shops in Austin and Houston

Some great places that come to mind are Dell, HP, Ambit Energy, IBM(probably more so in Addison though), Intuit..

There are a lot. A lot of local and national banks too which pay very, very handsomely for IT professionals (I can attest to this lol)

Plano also has a nice LifeTime Fitness in a great location for there, I think... if that's something you guys are into

Also, to be honest, I've never really gotten/felt that Plano was all that pretentious/snobby as people say. And I work and am in the Legacy area a lot (because of work and gym mostly). I think since you two are in a relationship you two might actually like it. But it's much more wise to buy a house in that area than it is to rent, that's my honest opinion. It's very much geared towards couples and families and it's a nice area. There's good shopping at the Shops @ Legacy and they're building some great stuff off DNT right there. There already is a small, but very good night scene in that area too!

All that said, I still think it's more so geared towards families lol. Or there are other options in Texas for young(er) professionals. But you two might actually really like that area I think.

They will generally require a two step skills test to place with any of those shops but they're generally pretty easy(well I always thought so lol). As you said, yes it is mostly based on pure skill level. If he's doing database and can prove that he knows how constraints, JOINs, UNIONs, some solid TSQL, he will be fine. They won't ask you how to do a SELECT statement basically lol. Again, it's good in that they base it pretty much entirely on just skill set. I always thought that that was fair and the best way to go about it. I think it's a great area honestly if you're in a serious relationship and/or are starting a family... but that's just me

*sorry if I read that wrong, but that's just my take on Plano

I think SA will overall be more "enjoyable/fun" though

Quote:
That should tell you something right there, older people are typically wiser and have more life experience, in which many people no longer seem to respect.

Quote:
No I am trying to prove that there are many more cities that are a ton better than Austin. Have more activities to do and many have real zoos. I am trying to prove how people think Austin is this utopia, and it's not even close. It lacks quite a bit of sophistication and many magazines have hyped Austin so much, to make us think that everything these magazines have said is a complete forgery:

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/in...omies-ranking/

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...y-for-job.html

and to throw this one in for fun:

Austin district's claim to highest graduation rate among major Texas cities Mostly False | PolitiFact Texas

Austin isn't even ranked in the nation for healthcare that is a very sad fact, don't people of Texas care about healthcare?

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...or-austin.html

I mean compared to Columbus, Austin is far behind, real far behind:

Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, OH - Rankings, Ratings & Photos | US News Best Hospitals

How can anyone who thinks logically, that Austin is all but nothing but a playground where no one seems to be responsible.

The longhorns are half the size of Ohio State, I don't understand what all the hype is about. Austin has many areas it needs to grow in that is my point, so you totally missed my point on that subject.

Quote:
And your suppose to be hip? rofl You totally missed what I was getting at. But that's okay, that's one that flew over the Cuckcoo's nest.

Quote:

Doesn't that stuff all cost money (ie gas, parking, rentals, and etc)? I mean if you can't make enough to earn a living then how can a person go to all of these events, yes we have done a lot of stuff here, but we have had a financial cushion to lean back on, however that cushion is gone because the cost of living and low wages have drained our accounts and before we run completely dry we plan on picking up and moving. Thus we may do a few of those things, but we can't do them all because our budget is limited, by the income we make, which you still haven't gotten your head around, a city can have a bunch of stuff to do, but if you don't have a disposable income then people can't spend their money in that city.

You can have fun outdoors in the winter time if your not a wuss, snow is actually quite fun, but no one likes to drive in the snow, however snow by itself is quite pleasurable (ie skiing, snowmobiling, snow ball fights, making snowmen, sledding, snow forts, igloos, ice skating, ice fishing, hockey and on and on) something you probably will never understand.

The live music isn't that great which I have mentioned before.

I don't know why your boasting about F1 maybe because its the only thing you have that is worthwhile, however in motorsports F1 ranks very low in the nation to watch. Yes people do watch, but compared to short tracks (including NASCAR short tracks) NASCAR is the number one watched motorsports in the U.S., followed by Indy car and then Drag racing, most people in the US don't really watch F1 so its kinda of laughable to think that F1 is all that great here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motors..._United_States

Americans do care about their pro sports teams, if a city doesn't have it, then it does make a difference, you can't just simply dismiss and act like it isn't significant because it is, if your thinking of a city that appeals to everyone then you have to include sports. Having recreation isn't enough to make it appeal to everyone.

Those aren't malls if you really want to call them that btw. Maybe more like strip malls.

Here are many others who have agreed with me and others:

https://alicia-prague-blog.com/2013/...just-mediocre/

Why is Austin so full of pretentious people? - Discussion on [domain blocked due to spam]

We love this one:

Six Stupid Reasons to Move to Austin, a Mediocre Town | Houston Press

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38418

https://ihateaustintexas.wordpress.c...-usa/#comments

Why Austin Sucks - Feedback - The Austin Chronicle

San Antonio is 'infinitely better' than Austin, list says - San Antonio Express-News

Oh I can go on and on about how many people have been disappointed by Austin, but some of them I can definitely agree with, and I actually agree with most of these articles. Hence I am not the only one who thinks this way. Maybe Austin ought to quit being so pretentious and get to work on being a better overall city, instead of saying our town is so great blah, blah, why not go to work and actually make it one of the best cities in the nation.

That's enough for now, maybe add more later, for fun. Btw I do have a life too, but I still can make time to follow up on a post that I wrote.

Last edited by daisyschic; 10-03-2016 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 06:46 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Why didn't you do this research before you moved here??

Everyone on this board would have advised you of the traffic, the cost of housing, the blissful lack of Pro Sports teams & the lack of higher paying jobs (for someone who doesn't have a job lined up).

No one....as in NO ONE from this board would have encouraged you to move here (given your data points). We (us local austinitites on CD) are often fussed at for telling people this (it's often suggested that we are being rude). We aren't. We're telling people like it is. You were absolutely setting yourself up to fail. If you're a kid & you're a rolling stone who's going to sleep on a friends couch....no problem, but if you're a family, then have a damn job lined up.

We don't care that you like lots of shopping malls & we don't care that you like pro sports teams & pro sports stadiums. We don't care if you think food is too expensive here (obviously you & I eat at different spots). We don't care that we're not as liberal as you think we need to be (or as the national rags say we are).

If one ends up with a great job here & lives in a great neighborhood with great schools here in Austin, then good for them (& many people have). But if one comes here & can't hack it, stop whining......just leave already.

You have every right to come here.....& prosper or fail. And we have every right to tell you to buck up... (& stop whining).

(Oh....& stop making this an Austin vrs. San Antonio thread. Every Austinite I know likes or loves San Antonio. We visit often & love the fact that it isn't Austin & doesn't want to be Austin. The only people I've ever heard say ANYTHING negative about San Antonio are recent transplants....& actually it's just a very small percentage of them. Most everyone likes or loves SA.)

Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
(Oh....& stop making this an Austin vrs. San Antonio thread. Every Austinite I know likes or loves San Antonio. We visit often & love the fact that it isn't Austin & doesn't want to be Austin. The only people I've ever heard say ANYTHING negative about San Antonio are recent transplants....& actually it's just a very small percentage of them. Most everyone likes or loves SA.)
^^Yup.

SA is different than Austin, but I don't know anyone in my circle of friends that dislikes it. At the worst, maybe, a lot of people think of it as the weekend get-away or the place to go for amusement parks and pro-sports.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:30 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Why didn't you do this research before you moved here??
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas