Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:04 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
How many times does it take, when people die because of a inferior infrastructure, before the state realizes it needs to update their infrastructure? IT'S A SAFETY ISSUE. Not a limitation.

Why do people that live in Austin have this superiority complex? I'm actually sick and tired of it.

First, I'm not from Austin. I've lived in Salt Lake, Denver and all over Texas, including Austin in the last 20 years. I have driven back and forth from DFW to Austin and San Antonio frequently and I35 has been under construction for most of that time. Every major freeway in DFW has gone through massive overhaul (I35, 635, I30, 820). The reality is the state can't build roads fast enough to keep up with all the people moving here. You my dear are part of the infrastructure problem and why an apartment that rented for $700.00 ten years ago is now going for $1300.00. A whole bunch of people just like you bought into the hype about how cheap Texas is to live in. You and many others have found out the hard way, that's not always true.

Who in the world would have thought nearly 6 million people would move here in 8 years? Really think about that for a minute. It's a huge number. Some states don't have that many people. Of course there is going to be an infrastructure problem. New roads can't be built overnight. Millions of people are not moving to Ohio to live. The rust belt is dying.

People who don't do research BEFORE they make a major move are probably going to be very disappointed. The whole "It's cheap to live in Texas" is a myth unless you are coming from a more expensive metro area (San Francisco, Chicago, New York). It used to be cheap to live here 10-15 years ago. That ship sailed some time ago. Don't believe the hype.

Facts: It is hot here. Summer lasts for 6 months. Your electric bill will be huge in the summer. You are going to be stuck in traffic unless you work near where you live if you live in a metro area with good jobs. Natural beauty is somewhat lacking if you are coming from a more scenic state. You can't buy a new entry level home here for 120k anymore.

Either acclimate or don't, but this thread is getting really old. We get it, you don't like Austin. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but San Antonio is not the end all be all. I predict you will once again be disappointed after you move there too. The dear diary today I went to SA and went to the Riverwalk is silly.

San Antonio is a nice city and I enjoy going there, but let's get real it's not some nirvana. Every person who I know that was born and raised there left for better opportunities in Austin or DFW and have said they would never go back.

I love Texas. Texas is Texas. Texas has been very good to me and it's a great place to live, but I would never expect it to be like Utah or Colorado. I moved here for opportunity which I have found, not to whine about what I miss where I used to live.

Good luck to you and may you find jobs in SA quickly...

Last edited by Angie682; 10-15-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 02:33 AM

124 posts, read 122,048 times
Just to add to my last post here is another thing I was talking about:

Reddit's 'Unpopular Opinions About Austin' Thread: The Greatest Hits So Far: Austinist

Old 10-16-2016, 11:38 AM

20 posts, read 24,339 times
You know, after taking all this in, and trying to be objective...I understand. I get it OP. I do. But again my dear. The problem isn't with Austin, or anyplace for that matter. The problem is you have been beaten down and now you find yourself trapped in a cycle of negativity. I get it, you are frustrated. You and your boyfriend are having a hard time finding jobs that pay for the qualifications you worked hard to obtain. That's not a local problem unfortunately, that's a global issue right now. You and I are of the same generation. I UNDERSTAND the struggles you are going through. I understand what it is like to feel over qualified and underappreciated. To feel like you took the right path, only to be let down time and time again. It is hard and it will make you bitter inside, but only if you LET IT. When you let the negative take hold, it skews your point of view. Everything is seen in a negative light. You only seek out the problems, the "what's wrong" with everything around you. Please, try to fight it. Try to look for the positive side of things. Try to find the beauty that is all around you. I promise, you will find it. On the wind swept bluffs of South Dakota, to the silent pines of Northern Maine, there is beauty all around you.

Like the song by great Man in Black himself, I've been everywhere. In this amazing country at least. I've purchased art in Greenwich Village, and dined on fried bologna sandwiches at a centuries old general store in Appalachia. I've seen wealth to such an extent that it will forever change your perspective on what it truly means to "have" as opposed to "have not." And I've witnessed levels of poverty, where the desperation hanging in the air could be cut with a knife, it put the fear of God into me. But in all of these places, even on the most remote back roads of Nowheresville America, I've found the most profound beauty. Happiness is a state of mind and home is where the heart is. Find your happiness, and your home. Both come from within. Keep up the good fight, don't let the negative win.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:34 PM

I simply made a comment about improving the infrastructure, the infrastructure has been the same for decades, no one can sit there and say that we didn't know any of this was happening. The roads have been the same since probably the 70's which is way more than enough time to address those issues. The issues you brought up had nothing to do about the safety of the people.
The roads have been the same since probably the 70's which is way more than enough time to address those issues. The issues you brought up had nothing to do about the safety of the people. Don’t you care about people’s safety?

These Are Some Of The Worst Highways In Texas | KERA News

Even An 85 MPH Highway Can't Fix Austin's Traffic Tangle | KERA News

Top 5 Most Accident-Prone Roads In Texas

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks no merge lanes are dangerous:

Yield signs without acceleration lanes

Old 10-16-2016, 02:42 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
People are entitled to different opinions and priorities - and they're not obligated to present a winning argument in order to defend those opinions. Please all let's stay focused on the point of this thread and not on personalities.

As for the short merge ramps - there are some notorious ones in places I've lived before. Notorious for being a hazard when you essentially have to stop before entering a highway where people are driving 60MPH. So, for me, that'd be a drawback if it was the standard. It wouldn't prevent me from moving there, though.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:58 PM

I'm more certain every time I visit SA, that SA is 100 times better than Austin. I'm surprised this city has economic problems and why people wouldn't want to move there is beyond me. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
I'm more certain every time I visit SA, that SA is 100 times better than Austin. I'm surprised this city has economic problems and why people wouldn't want to move there is beyond me. It's absolutely gorgeous.
What do you find gorgeous about it?

Old 11-19-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What do you find gorgeous about it?
The nature and the trail system they have there, every single time we go there it is really well done, the nature is well taken care of, along the trail and everything is just done really well. The trails are some of the best I have seen in the nation. The nature is just amazing, everything is just gorgeous along the trails. Now I can only speak for SA and Austin, but I would choose SA trails over Austins any day of the week. Austin doesn't seem to really take care of anything. Other than that I can't speak on other cities.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:18 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,766 times
Love SA ! Moved back solely bc its where we wanted to live. Could've chosen any Texas city but feel SA suits us best.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:03 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,054,525 times
Is Austin getting too big for its britches? San Antonio has better bones than Austin and appears to be a real city in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas