Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:09 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times

Advertisements

That's great. My husband has finally been able to start drawing a salary again from one of his companies but it's half what he was bringing home before the crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 11:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
That's great. My husband has finally been able to start drawing a salary again from one of his companies but it's half what he was bringing home before the crash.
Hang in there - things are moving in the right direction, finally.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:17 PM

254 posts, read 191,858 times
Default If you are reading this from thousands of miles from Texas, don't make the mistake of thinking a recovery is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hang in there - things are moving in the right direction, finally.
It isn't that people doubt your train of thought, but locomotives just don't work this way. You are focused on the price of a barrel of oil. During 2008, that happening of a temporary downward glitch in the energy business in Houston amounted to the train stopping at the station to pick up passengers before continuing on in the same market as before.

Lots of investors today are losing betting on the gamble that today's downturn is another repeat of the temporary glitch of 2008.

The locomotive today is still in the garage after being drug from the tracks. Its engine is being taken out and rebuilt as the tracks outside are being rearranged and replaced. This is a whole new market instigated by OPEC.

At the same time, during the downward bust of the late eighties in Texas, lots of positive things happened in Houston. All the news during the bust wasn't bad. Lots of companies relocated to Houston during that time. Compaq seemed to pop up out of no where as Continental Airlines based itself in Houston.

After reaching the bottom of the market, the only place for it to go is up. However, during this time, it is the investors benefiting most from the rise in the barrel of oil and they live all around the world. Any indicators that the energy market in Houston are in a recovery are surely false ones. Indeed, they don't indicate that a recovery is on the way in Houston and Texas or even that the market won't fall even further in the future.

Last edited by Dallas retail updater; 12-27-2016 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
It isn't that people doubt your train of thought, but locomotives just don't work this way. You are focused on the price of a barrel of oil. During 2008, that happening of a temporary downward glitch in the energy business in Houston amounted to the train stopping at the station to pick up passengers before continuing on in the same market as before.

Lots of investors today are losing betting on the gamble that today's downturn is another repeat of the temporary glitch of 2008.

The locomotive today is still in the garage after being drug from the tracks. Its engine is being taken out and rebuilt as the tracks outside are being rearranged and replaced. This is a whole new market instigated by OPEC.

At the same time, during the downward bust of the late eighties in Texas, lots of positive things happened in Houston. All the news during the bust wasn't bad. Lots of companies relocated to Houston during that time. Compaq seemed to pop up out of no where as Continental Airlines based itself in Houston.

After reaching the bottom of the market, the only place for it to go is up. However, during this time, it is the investors benefiting most from the rise in the barrel of oil and they live all around the world. Any indicators that the energy market in Houston are in a recovery are surely false ones. Indeed, they don't indicate that a recovery is on the way in Houston and Texas or even that the market won't fall even further in the future.
LOL the oil field is not a locomotive, and I am not focused only on the price of a barrel of oil. Nor am I focused on just Houston. May I suggest that YOUR focus is quite a bit more narrow than mine?

Oil and gas related companies ARE rehiring again in Texas. How do I know that? Because I know lots and lots of people who got laid off who have been called back. I have family working at Halliburton - and as I and others have pointed out to you, Halliburton is hiring again. But don't take my word for it:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Oil-Field-l-Texas-jobs.html
Texas Oil And Gas Jobs
https://jobs.halliburton.com/search/...onsearch=texas
Schlumberger Jobs - Jobs in Texas

By the way, my husband and I bought tons of stock in energy companies (all oil and gas) at the very lowest point of the market and we're enjoying watching their value rise. It beats the heck out of trainspotting.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
LOL the oil field is not a locomotive, and I am not focused only on the price of a barrel of oil. Nor am I focused on just Houston. May I suggest that YOUR focus is quite a bit more narrow than mine?

Oil and gas related companies ARE rehiring again in Texas. How do I know that? Because I know lots and lots of people who got laid off who have been called back. I have family working at Halliburton - and as I and others have pointed out to you, Halliburton is hiring again. But don't take my word for it:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Oil-Field-l-Texas-jobs.html
Texas Oil And Gas Jobs
https://jobs.halliburton.com/search/...onsearch=texas
Schlumberger Jobs - Jobs in Texas

By the way, my husband and I bought tons of stock in energy companies (all oil and gas) at the very lowest point of the market and we're enjoying watching their value rise. It beats the heck out of trainspotting.
Here is my argument. A locomotive will accelerate away from a station the same exact inverse that it took for it to slow down getting there. Attempt to burn out in a train from a standing stop and it will just spin its wheels. Yet, the full effect of the energy downturn has yet to even be felt in Houston. In my opinion, I think the locomotive has yet to arrive at the station as a downturn. When it does, like what happened during the eighties, there will be a loss of jobs and a stall in the metropolitan's population growth. Believing that a recovery in the energy business is in progress works in the favor of the energy company's investors. If I were a CEO of such an energy company, I'd nourish that belief.

Where are all the energy executives proclaiming from the mountain top that a recovery is now fully under way?

Last edited by Dallas retail updater; 12-27-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Here is my argument. A locomotive will accelerate away from a station the same exact inverse that it took for it to slow down getting there. Attempt to burn out in a train from a standing stop and it will just spin its wheels. Yet, the full effect of the energy downturn has yet to even be felt in Houston. In my opinion, I think the locomotive has yet to arrive at the station as a downturn. When it does, like what happened during the eighties, there will be a loss of jobs and a stall in the metropolitan's population growth. Believing that a recovery in the energy business is in progress works in the favor of the energy company's investors. If I were a CEO of such an energy company, I'd nourish that belief.

Where are all the energy executives proclaiming from the mountain top that a recovery is now fully under way?
Why do you keep going on about locomotives and Houston? Broaden your field of vision.

Look, like it or not, the price of a barrel of oil is going up, slowly but steadily. That's a trajectory that's likely to continue, and one that has far reaching effects.

I don't know what business you work in, but my husband has worked in the oil and gas industry for over thirty years. During that time, the industry has hit "rock bottom" a couple of times. One time was this past year. He's seen the industry hit the bottom and climb back up several times, and based on his experience, all the people he knows who are working all over the world, the uptick in hiring, calling crews back, and just activity in general, along with the increase in oil and natural gas prices, lends credibility to his belief that the industry is picking back up again.

It's really not that hard to figure out if you're in the industry. Six months ago, lots of people were out of work. Now they're being called back. Companies are rehiring. Service companies are getting called back.

It's all good.

By the way, I never said that a recovery is "fully underway" whatever you mean by that. All I've said is that things are picking back up. And they are.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Why do you keep going on about locomotives and Houston? Broaden your field of vision.

Look, like it or not, the price of a barrel of oil is going up, slowly but steadily. That's a trajectory that's likely to continue, and one that has far reaching effects.

I don't know what business you work in, but my husband has worked in the oil and gas industry for over thirty years. During that time, the industry has hit "rock bottom" a couple of times. One time was this past year. He's seen the industry hit the bottom and climb back up several times, and based on his experience, all the people he knows who are working all over the world, the uptick in hiring, calling crews back, and just activity in general, along with the increase in oil and natural gas prices, lends credibility to his belief that the industry is picking back up again.

It's really not that hard to figure out if you're in the industry. Six months ago, lots of people were out of work. Now they're being called back. Companies are rehiring. Service companies are getting called back.

It's all good.

By the way, I never said that a recovery is "fully underway" whatever you mean by that. All I've said is that things are picking back up. And they are.
I'm not arguing with you. Congratulations on you and your husband's good news. For those thinking of pulling the trigger relocating to Houston, perhaps a good indicator to watch would be the leasing up of the millions of sublease and vacant office space now sitting empty in the Houston area?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you. Congratulations on you and your husband's good news. For those thinking of pulling the trigger relocating to Houston, perhaps a good indicator to watch would be the leasing up of the millions of sublease and vacant office space now sitting empty in the Houston area?
Shrug - I guess - but this thread isn't in the Houston forum and I wasn't aware we were limiting the discussion to whether one should or should not move to Houston.

Houston's economy has diversified. Houston will survive. In fact, it just might be a good time to get a deal on some real estate in Houston...who knows? Not me - I'm happy where I am.

And getting happier.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Shrug - I guess - but this thread isn't in the Houston forum and I wasn't aware we were limiting the discussion to whether one should or should not move to Houston.

Houston's economy has diversified. Houston will survive. In fact, it just might be a good time to get a deal on some real estate in Houston...who knows? Not me - I'm happy where I am.

And getting happier.
I was thinking the same thing. For example, Fort Worth has been slumping because of a downturn in both the energy and defense industries. Houston has so much of the energy business though, it is easy to isolate it when speaking of Texas. One rarely thinks of North Texas as a major energy center which it is.

When I write a response in here, I think of the reader as thousands of miles away and he or she as a potential person interested in relocating. Thirty years ago, while there didn't exist the internet, one had the benefit of being able to read two major daily newspapers in the large cities that one might be interested in moving to. This competition in the media helped dig up more in-depth information that I don't think is being conveyed to people nowadays. In contrast, the more nationalized media of today is marketing more nonsense in order to avoid offending their international customers telling them all what the want to hear by comparing all things reducing them down to the same old basic and equal tripe.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It's been my impression that most folks participating in the Texas section of the forum are either from Texas or very familiar with Texas.

That being said, familiar or not, people should definitely do a lot of research into ANY place before they up and move there. I love Tyler, Texas and I brag about it's positives every chance I get but I certainly would hope that anyone considering moving to the Tyler area would visit and do their own research first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas