Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 PM

3,270 posts, read 5,651,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
CA was solidly Republican and red at one point. It was a lot like Texas. Texas is becoming more and more blue though.
Texas was also reliably blue for decades. Nobody knows what the future holds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 04:12 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,437,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Texas was also reliably blue for decades. Nobody knows what the future holds.
That is true but the democratic party back then was a lot different than it is now.The democrats used to be more conservative than they are now.A lot of the democrats became republicans as the party became more liberal.Rick Perry is one example.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 7,243,873 times
Texas used to be more moderate, including in east Texas. In the past four decades, and with the advent of the Internet and cable/satellite TV and so-called "news" piped in to the homes, it's changed dramatically. I've seen it go from middle of the road and balanced to hardcore extremist on the right. People used to think more for themselves, and the churches were less politically polluted. Now, well...

Old 06-15-2017, 02:04 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,041,983 times
Well this might be a strange observation but do you guys remember the working man/kicker style being so prevalent growing up in Texas? That kicker style has always existed and it was always a staple of Texas but now I notice that it's everywhere. Kicker brands like Ariat, Cinch, Justin's, etc are household names. I see more people interested in big trucks, and people I knew who would hunt and fish would never wear it like badge of pride before and show it all off on social media. When I was in high school people were just into the latest trends like rock band t-shirts, Airwalks, Vans, etc. you'd stick out wearing kicker clothes.

So yes, in that regard I have noticed Texans just go from sort of middle of the road to hard right kicker conservatives that show off their cowboy boots, their guns, what they hunted and such.

When did this shift happen? Was it always there but I didn't notice it? I just don't remember Texas ever being THAT kicker or right wing.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:03 PM

554 posts, read 747,463 times
Quote:
Well this might be a strange observation but do you guys remember the working man/kicker style being so prevalent growing up in Texas? That kicker style has always existed and it was always a staple of Texas but now I notice that it's everywhere. Kicker brands like Ariat, Cinch, Justin's, etc are household names. I see more people interested in big trucks, and people I knew who would hunt and fish would never wear it like badge of pride before and show it all off on social media. When I was in high school people were just into the latest trends like rock band t-shirts, Airwalks, Vans, etc. you'd stick out wearing kicker clothes.

So yes, in that regard I have noticed Texans just go from sort of middle of the road to hard right kicker conservatives that show off their cowboy boots, their guns, what they hunted and such.

When did this shift happen? Was it always there but I didn't notice it? I just don't remember Texas ever being THAT kicker or right wing.
Those are good questions, radiolibre99 ...

When I became an adult, back in the 60's & 70's, the Austin area, in particular, had 2 basic 'culture groups': Kickers, and the nationally-trendy. The "trendy's" tended to be UT-Austin students or graduates, were usually from either the DFW or HOU area, and could be found in the newer, trendier nightclubs, disco bars, and restaurants. F'rinstance, you wouldn't (and couldn't) wear your cowboy hat into one of those places; bouncers wouldn't let you in.

The Kickers tended to be more craft-type people; those who actually worked with their hands, worked shift work or, if they had a college degree, might have graduated from Texas A&M, or a smaller State college.
I personally gravitated toward the "kicker'-culture, being that I was a drummer, working in numerous Country Bands throughout Central TEXAS, and being employed in day-jobs, too. Many of the guys (and some of the gals) I worked daytime jobs with during that time were also fairly-kicker-like in their cultural attitudes. Again, many of them were hourly, shift-working employees, just like me, so the comparison may be a bit "moot".

Since leaving Austin, and TEXAS for a better job some years ago, I've noticed a little of the trend you're asking about ... except in the Austin area. More so than when I was prowling the backstage-areas of clubs & venues, I've noticed that the "trendy's" seem to be in abundance around Austin. I can only relate that to the Austin area though, since my kids & their Families still live in that area, and I get to observe while we go to different places around town that were only a fenced pasture when I lived there.
To add to that ... When I visit with some dear-old-friends who don't live in the Austin area, I also see a lot of folks who may be tourists, but certainly aren't living the kicker-lifestyle. It's really not until we get out into the outlying counties & towns that I see the real kicker (also called "farmer") culture in abundance. One of my best friends & his wife own a dancehall/restaurant in one of those small towns. The "ambience" is definitely kicker-style, there! That probably hasn't changed in 2 or more generations!
... YMMV, of course! ...

Last edited by tomchard; 06-16-2017 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Hadda fix Grammar - She's fine now!

Old 06-16-2017, 03:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,041,983 times
Tomchard, I just see a lot more kicker gear, not just cowboy boots but work boots, cammo gear, more people driving trucks. I mean when I was growing up, most kids and college aged folk and even grads just followed the latest trends and the kicker look was way in the distance. Now it seems much more prevalent. Western wear is common among young women who wouldn't wear anything country except for cowboy boots and a skirt, hipsters who wear vintage boots, and such. The working man look has become a trend in and of itself with brands like Carthart, Dickies, Wolverine, Caterpillar becoming trendy. I see boot stores everywhere now.

It's not overwhelming, people still follow the trends and wear what they want, I am just saying that I've seen a growth of this kicker look in Texas, but then again I've seen it in the San Fernando Valley here in CA too. I think it's just a growing trend to see that more.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:41 PM

554 posts, read 747,463 times
Quote:
Tomchard, I just see a lot more kicker gear, not just cowboy boots but work boots, cammo gear, more people driving trucks. ...
<SNIP>
It's not overwhelming, people still follow the trends and wear what they want, I am just saying that I've seen a growth of this kicker look in Texas, but then again I've seen it in the San Fernando Valley here in CA too. I think it's just a growing trend to see that more.
... Well, you could indeed be right, radiolibre99! Over here in "Sillycon" Valley I've only noticed 1 or maybe 2 guys (where I used to work) with Carharrt Work Pants, and barely anyone wearing any form of boots - much-less kicker / cowboy boots. I used to get stared at for wearing my Ropers! The youngsters thought I was from another world, or something ... ... Of course, they were too cowed by political-correctness to actually say anything. But, that's another issue.

We haven't been back to TEXAS yet, this year. I guess we need to get back down there, so I can check this out! It's prolly gonna hafta wait until the Fall, though. I'm becoming less-and-less heat tolerant, living out here! ...

Old 06-16-2017, 07:34 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,234,148 times
We called them ropers when I was growing up.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:48 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,178,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
If you register to vote here you're Texan. You have just as much say in local politics as Texas seniors born and raised. You have just as much a right to vote in your interests as they do.
If the way they (Californians in general, not the OP) vote was in their best interest, they wouldn't be wanting to leave CA for TX in the first place.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,178,609 times
Quote:
It is the result of Nashville pushing pop country (early 90s) and more recently, bro country music. Most of the "country" people you see nowadays have never lived anywhere but the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas