Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM

18 posts, read 13,496 times

Advertisements

Lived in Texas all of my life, half of it in North Texas.

Texas is not only a national success, it's an international success. There are reasons for this, but I think the TV series DALLAS did much to promote this. Amazing that it was marketed internationally, with a script right out of Hollywood.

Texas also has generosity of spirit -- in abundance with volunteerism. I've participated in an event, where a couple of the people honored came from NYC and had no idea what to expect. These New Yorkers remarked that there was no way anybody in NYC would volunteer their time with such passion (they would if they were paid!).

Outsiders observed that raising money in Texas for something charitable was unbelievably easy.

Lastly, there are parts of Texas that ARE the Texas of 60 years ago. In particular, Far West Texas, e.g. Marfa, Alpine, Marathon. And I mean that in the most complimentary way. It's certainly not unique to us in this state, but if you are a native Texan, you must see it to absorb it, and I never went out there until 2013 --- my loss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,497,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualtexan View Post

Lastly, there are parts of Texas that ARE the Texas of 60 years ago. In particular, Far West Texas, e.g. Marfa, Alpine, Marathon. And I mean that in the most complimentary way. It's certainly not unique to us in this state, but if you are a native Texan, you must see it to absorb it, and I never went out there until 2013 --- my loss!
I've heard Alpine described as "mythic" Texas. And I think that's a great fit. I love that little town - I may be biased, but Trans-Pecos is the best part of the state. Marfa seems a little weird now - like a colony of Santa Fe.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,600,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
That is true but the democratic party back then was a lot different than it is now.The democrats used to be more conservative than they are now.A lot of the democrats became republicans as the party became more liberal.Rick Perry is one example.
They were only socially conservative, but fiscally liberal. Working class blue dog Democrats. They barely exist anymore because of Obamacare. Most of the blue dog Democrats were voted out of office after that bill passed.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:05 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,407,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They were only socially conservative, but fiscally liberal. Working class blue dog Democrats. They barely exist anymore because of Obamacare. Most of the blue dog Democrats were voted out of office after that bill passed.
Okay I see.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 AM

716 posts, read 540,599 times
blue dogs should;d have been voted out - this cluster)(&*&(*(* called obmmma care is running America

Old 06-21-2017, 05:54 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,743,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
Sometimes we have to separate the internet from real life.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with Californians -- I actually lived there briefly at one point myself. Also I've never seen anyone in Texas directly confront a Californian just for being from California (many of us are transplants anyway).

Now what I have seen -- and this is not specific to Texas, it's everywhere I've lived -- is locals grumble about Californians cashing out the equity in their expensive coastal real estate, then driving up the cost of living locally because they can easily outbid everyone for housing.

Solution? Don't buy a house here and you'll be just fine ...
Hey that is the free market at work, kinda like when Houston-based Enron used California deregulation to jack up electricity rates there. Comeuppance isn't always pretty.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:25 AM

16 posts, read 17,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
There are jerks everywhere, unfortunately. 99% of "old time" Texans are pretty much "you do your thing, I'll do mine". As long as you aren't telling us how to change to YOUR "standards", or whining because you want us to do things the way you did "back home", you ain't gonna have a problem.

Oh - and most of us have guns. Learn to deal with that. We don't care if you do or not - just don't try to tell us how you don't think we should have 'em. Again - live and let live.
Well, lets see.....If you did things the way we did here, why move to begin with. Trust me...you DO NOT want to do things the way California did. Tried to tell them, but,wouldnt listen and here we are today! My "Standards" , amazingly felt more in line with Texas as far as that goes when I visit twice a year. California standards.......Uh...no thank you. Whining about the way things were done back home....see above! Always believed in the no whining rule anyway. Guns, well, my son has a conceal permit, my brother has a conceal permit my daughter in law has a permit, and in case of the Zombie Apocalypse, ( Pelosi takes over ) I am getting to one of their houses asap! Their collection would make the US Army feel inadequate. And, as far as you do your thing I'lll do mine! I LOVE IT! That is the problem here, the crazies here want to run your life from cradle to grave and tell you what to do, when to do it, and exactly how to do it....again, No thank you! All I want is a bit of freedom and to not go broke living it. California is looking at a 25% payroll tax soon for middle income earners. Due to the new healthcare bill they are coming up with. Bad enough I am already paying 10% , now they want to add another 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas