Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 04:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

...The first governor of Trump-era Texas, heading a Republican Party buffeted by gale-force winds from the right in a state far more chaotic, divided and unsteady than its Obama-era version.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/05/u...-governor.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 07:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Abbott is just a product of the small-minded, ignorant, repressive, religious conservative voting public
And Texas was not that great under Obama---
Why the NYTimes would write that just means the reporters don't live here
Abbott and Perry BOTH made egregious decisions in their agendas which were supported by the same GOP legislators in office now (for the most part)...
We have wasted MILLIONS of $$ trying to force unconstitutional legislation into law and challenge Federal policies that benefit people the alt-right GOP hate...

Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Nothing has changed much in the way Texas politics has been conducted since I moved here in 1959. The present numbnuts in charge are no different than the dems who ran the state for 100 years straight. They just call themselves republicans these days.

This should be moved to the politics forum, however.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:50 PM

You are correct in that some Republicans used to hide under the Democratic name and changed after LBJ pushed through the Civil Rights legislation of the 60s
But please don't compare a Democratic agenda w/the GOP's...

And sure -- move it to the political forum

Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM

716 posts, read 539,890 times
the same can be said for state like California -once a Red state with balanced budgets - now 2-3 generations later its red with left wing waco ploitics - so its not just the right - its all both parties and both have ruined state after state - look at Illinois, Conn. also =

The issue is all politicians real power is spending OUR money - taking from those who earn and spend it on those who don't

for those simple minded here - that is call income redistribution - if more people would use just 1% of the grey matter between their ears- read- question - use common sense then these pols would not have the power they have been given by us - the voters

Both parties do stupid things and spend OUR money for dumb a programs- and what do we do about it? elect them - time after time

If we want to list their power we need to vote them out when they do stupid things - hold them accountable - don't let them spend our money on stupid issues -

as long as the parties are allowed to continue to operate like they do - from using illegals to register via DMW like in Calif, republicans to say one thing and do another- electing the likes of the pelosies, mc connels then we deserve what happens

At least trump is exposing washington for what it is - a bunch of self serving a hols that only want to keep their power and get reelected - whats when obamma care blows up - or 90 million people don't have jobs - watch those diluters in congress sit on their hands - do nothing and tell us how hard they are working

Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
The article was written by Ilana Panich-Linsman for The New York Times. That alone tells you all you need to know about it, so why waste time and energy discussing it?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:10 AM

716 posts, read 539,890 times
there is nothing to fight about i think trump is the perfect present for this time - you don't - we don't agree that i agree with

however trump or any president really does not effect our daily lives- congress and the courts are the ones that impact us most- passing dumb laws or or like the courts making laws up

the president is a figure head - they make speeches - they travel whoopee - trump can't raise our or lower our taxes without is coming from the house - trump can't build a wall without the money - from the house - etc etc

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 AM

106 posts, read 96,120 times
The politicians are what I love about Texas.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
The politicians are what I hate about Texas. Great state, great people, food, music. But I have to avoid listening to or reading anything that comes out of the mouth of Abbott,Patrick, or even worse - Paxton. Too much ignorance and small mindedness for me. Why Texans vote for politicians who concern themselves with non issues at the expense of revenue to our state is beyond me.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
The politicians are what I hate about Texas. Great state, great people, food, music. But I have to avoid listening to or reading anything that comes out of the mouth of Abbott,Patrick, or even worse - Paxton. Too much ignorance and small mindedness for me. Why Texans vote for politicians who concern themselves with non issues at the expense of revenue to our state is beyond me.
Because -- frankly--so many of the people of Texas are bigots, mysogynists, poorly informed on factual information, and religious conservatives--

And I am born and bred 5th generation Texan...so think I have a leg to stand on...

We have produced some great politicians---Sam Houston, Stephen Austin, Bob Krueger, Lloyd Bentsen, Charlie Wilson, Kay Bailey Hutchison (an effective, fair Republican Senator), Bob Bensen, Barbara Jordan, LBJ (crook that he was, he was a true populist).
LBJ brought water and roads to the Hill Country and pushed through the Civil Rights bill which is now being dealt the death of a thousand cuts thanks to former AG Holder's weak spine, the conservative GOP legislature, and a corporate-bias Supreme Court...

If you run a Google search for "best governor of Texas" you get no legitimate response...
Just list of current and past governors--but no ranking of +/- governors...

The Castro brothers catch the media's attention but have detractors in Texas even within their party
Bill White, former Houston mayor, lost election for governor to Perry--could have made a huge difference in the direction of our state but we still would have had a GOP legislature...

I was hoping that the influx of all the out-of-state transfers might make a swing to more knowledgeable voters but haven't seen it yet...maybe because so many of them come from states just as conservative/GOP as TX and even those from CA are just as likely to be alt-rights fleeing the more liberal aspects of CA for more conservative, right-wing TX...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas