Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Birth place of Colorado Residents, age 25 and up (by percent):
Colorado - 29
California - 6.6
Mexico - 5.5
Texas - 3.8
Illinois - 3.7
New York - 3.4

So, Texas is fourth in representation from any specific state - by birth, it is quite possible they lived for 20 years somewhere else before moving to CO. Of course, there are people that may have been born somewhere other than Texas, but live in Texas most of their life before moving to CO. Should be about a wash, I suppose.

Conversely, place of birth for Texas residents, age 25 and up:
Texas - 50
Mexico - 12.9
California - 2.7
Louisiana - 2.4
Colorado - 0.5 (25th in order)

The placing includes foreign countries, so you are much more likely to run into someone born in India, Central America, Vietnam, Africa, South America, China, or the Philippines than someone from CO. Colorado is just ahead of Germans and Alabamans, though .

So, while there are Coloradans moving to Texas, they are hugely diluted in the mass of humanity (27 mil+), whereas the Texans moving to Colorado (5.5 mil) make up one of the largest demographic groups.

Interestingly, German born residents make up a full one percent of the CO population and make up the largest foreign group (other than Mexico)...

Old 10-21-2017, 12:59 PM

21 posts, read 23,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
No im not being rude or fussy about everyone moving here. I am just legit-ly curious what is bringing everyone to colorado? I thought Texas was the place to be at! I actually wanted to retire and/or move to texas one day, but seeing everyone from Texas is moving to Colorado, i am thinking maybe there is something I am missing?

No I am not one that is mad that people keep moving here, in the contrary, it is good for the economy! I am just genuinely curious what is bringing them here? Is it the mountains or low cost of living? maybe a perk I dont know of? Sorry if I came off the wrong way on asking "why a lot of texans moving here" no no no. I am really curious! not fussy about it ha ha.
People move for many different reasons. I do have some close friends from Texas and they left for various reasons. Weather, scenery, jobs, and outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing, biking, and so much more). CO as a whole has a lot more to offer for my friends. Personally I would much rather live in CO than TX any day.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgypsy View Post
People move for many different reasons. I do have some close friends from Texas and they left for various reasons. Weather, scenery, jobs, and outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing, biking, and so much more). CO as a whole has a lot more to offer for my friends. Personally I would much rather live in CO than TX any day.
The opposite is true for me. I'd rather live in Texas and visit Colorado.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:01 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The opposite is true for me. I'd rather live in Texas and visit Colorado.
Same here. And I've lived in both states.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:53 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Been in TX for 15 years and I've travelled every inch of it. I find living here to be pretty good, all told. One thing I miss is more variety in the landscapes, so comments like yours strike me as horribly jejune.

Sounds like you should do everything you can to move back home and never leave again.
You have not explored much of it then if you have been here for 15 years. Every inch of it? Really?!! Your summation of the state being "97 percent the same" is entirely incorrect. Anyone that has been here any length of time and explored the state know this to be erroneous. So you are going to tell me that Corpus is the same as Lubbock is the same as Marfa is the same as Big Bend is the same as Tyler? C'mon dude, get a reality check. Tell me, what did you think Albert? How was San Saba when you drove through there? Is Mustang Island more your speed? What about valentine? How was that place when you were exploring every inch?

Sounds you should not be a jerk and have normal discussion like the rest of us are having, especially when you make uneducated statements.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
You have not explored much of it then if you have been here for 15 years. Every inch of it? Really?!! Your summation of the state being "97 percent the same" is entirely incorrect. Anyone that has been here any length of time and explored the state know this to be erroneous. So you are going to tell me that Corpus is the same as Lubbock is the same as Marfa is the same as Big Bend is the same as Tyler? C'mon dude, get a reality check. Tell me, what did you think Albert? How was San Saba when you drove through there? Is Mustang Island more your speed? What about valentine? How was that place when you were exploring every inch?

Sounds you should not be a jerk and have normal discussion like the rest of us are having, especially when you make uneducated statements.
Wounded pride, eh?

You misquoted me. I wrote, "97% of TX land mass is unremarkable to anyone who's travelled a bit." I am not trying to tell you that a state as large as TX has zero variety in its biomes. You failed to comprehend my posts. I am aware that it isn't literally all prairie; but it is mostly flat and mostly sub par in beauty IN MY OPINION and in that of my friends who are from elsewhere and my well-travelled Texan friends who aren't blinded by home state pride.

Big Bend is a special place. It strikes me as remarkable, as landscapes do in the American West in a much higher proportion than here in TX. Big Bend is part of the 3%.

I have made it a life priority to explore much of the earth: Europe, Latin America, Asia, North America, Africa. I don't find much of TX's landscapes to be remarkable. It has plenty of other strengths, though, which is why I am happy here. I do miss having access to outdoor recreation in wild landscapes that give me a sense of awe. I have learned to fulfill that need by traveling to other states and countries.

No need to descend to name calling, by the way.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
No need to descend to name calling, by the way.
You mean like descending to talking to people like they are beneath you or stupid? Either way...and nope, no pride here. Only interested in the truth and not blanket statements, but carry on.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:31 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
You mean like descending to talking to people like they are beneath you or stupid? Either way...and nope, no pride here. Only interested in the truth and not blanket statements, but carry on.
Not my intention at all. Sorry to have come off that way, just trying to convey my experiences here in TX truthfully. Read a few of your other posts. Sounds like you're drifting around the west looking for the right fit. Good luck to you and stay open to all types of people. We don't need more polarization in this country.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:52 PM

498 posts, read 571,896 times
I have lived in Colorado Springs and Fort Collins. I have also lived in Houston (twice) and Austin. I have relatives in both states. I enjoy visiting Colorado....don't mind the cold. However, for year round living I like Texas - even west Texas over east Colorado.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:46 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I will say that Colorado is the main place I ever hear people in Dallas say they love and like to visit and would want to move to. The 2nd place is San Francisco.
Not a surprise as both are the extreme partisan magnets of the U.S.--Dallas being the Conservative mecca and San Francisco with it's well deserved Liberal/Progressive reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas