Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Thank you. It's getting really old. The funniest thing is when I was recently in LA, when we told people we were from Texas, there was no disdain at all. People were so friendly. From my experience, whatever "rivalry" there is between Texas and California is coming only from Texas. It's pretty funny.
Did you go in saying, "What the heck is wrong with you people that you don't do things the way we do them in Texas?" and "Why in tarnation don't you have a Whataburger? In-N-Out sucks! I need to have Whataburger in California ASAP!" and "Where can I get some REAL Mexican food? None of this CalMex stuff" and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 01:54 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times
Quote:
Stop introducing yourself by saying "Hi there. Are you one of them evil, bad, satanic, fancy book learnin' liberal California heathens from Hell?" First impressions mean a lot.
Hard to stop doing something i don't do in the first place. Also, I'm a "liberal heathen." If I did introduce myself to people like that it would be as a tongue-in-cheek compliment.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:28 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
Thank you. It's getting really old. The funniest thing is when I was recently in LA, when we told people we were from Texas, there was no disdain at all. People were so friendly. From my experience, whatever "rivalry" there is between Texas and California is coming only from Texas. It's pretty funny.
From my experience, the people in TX could not care less if you are from California, NYC or Timbuktu. Especially in the big cities. That LA is the same in this regard is not surprising. This "rivalry" to me seems mostly an internet phenomenon. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the people arguing it are from neither state.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:17 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
From my experience, the people in TX could not care less if you are from California, NYC or Timbuktu. Especially in the big cities. That LA is the same in this regard is not surprising. This "rivalry" to me seems mostly an internet phenomenon. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the people arguing it are from neither state.
Could be...but I have actually met Californians that say they have been met with hostility. All it takes is just a few bad apples.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:53 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
Could be...but I have actually met Californians that say they have been met with hostility. All it takes is just a few bad apples.
And I'm sure there Texans who have experienced the same the other way around in LA. Anecdotes like that however does not make it the norm.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:43 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
And I'm sure there Texans who have experienced the same the other way around in LA. Anecdotes like that however does not make it the norm.
He just assumes that happens only to Texans who go to California and scold them for being "evil," liberal, and non-Christian. Or in other words, that they deserved it or had it coming. But obviously, not for any Californians who get that treatment in Texas.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Interestingly enough, the same complaints about Californians moving in and ruining a state seem to be talked about in Oregon and Washington State (one of numerous articles), and have been for a long time. Likewise Colorado (they're none too fond of Texans, either, I'm well aware). And there's mention of other states being less than pleased at an influx of Californians and their attitudes. So it's not a Texas/California rivalry exclusively.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:10 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
I am a bit puzzled by all the talk about "California Libs moving to Texas". From what I've read on citydata.com, most of the Californians moving to Texas seem to be more right-wing than the average Texan. (I mean the average Texan, think about it.) They move here because they are in search of a place that (they think) provides an escape from a state that (they think) wants to take away their guns and wants to (I'll grant them this) tax them more. However, I'm not sure whether they will really pay less in taxes here -- our property taxes are pretty high, despite having no state income tax.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
I'm surprised by people blaming rising housing costs in Texas on people moving from California. Really, people? It's supply and demand. Texas is popular now and it doesn't matter whether the newcomers are from California or Timbuktu. I'm especially surprised by supposed realtors, who should know better, whining about high prices and blaming people from California. These people didn't relocate their million dollar homes here and shoot up the lot prices. They just moved. Like anyone else from any state. Geezus.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:33 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
On a related note: I'm from Texas and have had family in California since I was a kid in the 60s. Been out there to visit many times during the interim and I've never had anyone pick on me for being from Texas. Maybe, way back, there might have been some ignorance on their part, mostly naive people thinking that we lived differently (which we didn't) ... but that was way back.

I've traveled a fair amount since then and the only place in the US that I ever felt like "Texans" were discriminated against was in Colorado. Just a bit ... but then, it was already full of Texas transplants already. Later, they had the big influx of California immigrants, which kinda took the heat off of us. I remember hearing them complain about all those Californians moving to Colorado and bringing their "gang member" kids with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas