Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 46,094 times

Advertisements

I saw this on another forum, Waco is in the Top 10 Worst Places to Live. The article doesn't give any specific reasons, just sites some sources for statistics. Since we're moving to Waco this summer, I'd love to hear some feedback from Wacoans.

Best Life Magazine: Family & Fatherhood: The 100 Best Places to Raise a Family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:12 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbpds View Post
The article doesn't give any specific reasons ...
Don't listen to the haters. Waco bashing is a popular sport among the small minded folk.

Waco is a good place.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
I don't know much about Waco, I've only passed through it a couple times, but that is the most random "Best Places" list ever. There's no rhyme or reason to it. How many families can afford to live comfortably in NYC? They discount Beaumont for air quality but L.A. comes in at #12??? I hope people don't actually base major life decisions like moving on such lists, but something tells me people do.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Waco is a wonderful city and I think it keeps on getting better. And its location is really hard to beat because you're never more than two hours from D/FW and Austin, and Houston is three hours away. But Waco has a got a little boom going, particularly on the south side and in the Woodway area. It's always a joy to drive through on I-35, but it's worth a stop.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:17 PM

20 posts, read 112,608 times
My sister lives in Waco and really likes it, I have also considered moving there. I think its a nice place and good housing!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,666 times
I visited there in the 80s while living in Texas and it was definitely an OK
place in my book. People real friendly, hospitable and we had a fantastic
steak in a little family type restaurant.
These rankings about "good" & "worst" cities to live in are a bunch of crap
and are meaningless and useless. Pay no attention to them.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,117 times
i can find HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of places that are worse places to live than Waco. i have never lived in Waco but have been through it since its kinda sorta close to me. i prefer Temple however.
Waco has some very nice areas on the outskirts....Crawford (home of GWB's ranch) being one of them. very quaint quiet pretty town.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Waco is a great city and it can be alot of fun if you get to know the right people. However, The crime is getting out of hand,but most of it deals with drugs and revenge. The city is making huge strides to better itselfs with new developments downtown and also Movie Thursday's.

Waco has alot to offer for kids and tourist! The Zoo is getting a new asian area, the mammoth museum is being built just right down the river and much more!! Also in talks of getting IMAX at Galaxy 16 [theatre] and a Movie studio downtown.

The city also offers great nightlife believe it or not. Offering different types of clubs for all races.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
Default You got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
.These rankings about "good" & "worst" cities to live in are a bunch of crap and are meaningless and useless. Pay no attention to them.
I agree. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:32 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I don't know much about Waco, I've only passed through it a couple times, but that is the most random "Best Places" list ever. There's no rhyme or reason to it. How many families can afford to live comfortably in NYC? They discount Beaumont for air quality but L.A. comes in at #12??? I hope people don't actually base major life decisions like moving on such lists, but something tells me people do.
I agree. Number 1 is Honolulu? Most can't afford to live there. I graduated from a private HS there and think it's hilarious that this list says that the schools spend $9K/student....except they didn't mention that 40% of the population goes to private schools because the public schools are pretty much AWFUL. Very strange list, indeed.

L.A. high on the list is another head-scratcher.

Oh and pertaining to the original thread. I think a lot of people poo-poo Waco because it is pretty insular and stagnant. There's a little bit of old-fashionedness to it. Lots of Baptists and church is a very important part of the town's identity (maybe because of or supported by Baylor). Even people I know from Waco who now live in Austin say "well...I'm from Waco...(roll eyes)." Seems like a very nice family community, but I have a feeling that you'd need to "fit in" to feel at home - particularly religiously. I could be wrong though. I mean companies don't relocate to Waco very much, so there's not a lot of influx of new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: