Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 14,509 times

Advertisements

They may seem random but it's hard to find these things out 1200 miles away. I just need some local help.

1. Cost of a gallon of regular gas at local station?

2. Do cars and pick-up's need emissions testing for vehicle registration in Dalhart?

3. Are there burning restrictions for home wood or pellet fireplaces? If so please explain what they are.

4. Property taxes. Roughly how much would you pay per year for prop taxes for a $150,000 home? Also what kind of rates would you pay for utilities Electricity/Gas, Water, sewage, garbage?

5. We have one child. Do they have good libraries and also are there Cub/Boy Scout troops in the Dalhart area? What other things in the area can you think of that would fit this situation?

6. Are there stupid laws like plastic bags being banned in grocery stores or being chargrd for plastic? Banning toys in Kids Meals or making it illegal to allow a dog to ride in the front seats? ( i know they sound stupid but these are the things they are considering in the area and have already past in other parts of the state)

7. Can you drive or walk more than a mile anywhere in town without seeing graffiti spray painted on buildings or vehicles?

8. What Cell phone carriers work best in town and on outskirts?

10. City Parks. Are they well maintained? Do they charge fee's to get in? If they do charge how much? (Bigger parks here it is $5 per day)

I will probably think of more but just can't right now. Thank You in advance for the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Do you realise how freakin' small Dalhart is? If you were asking about Dumas I might not think your questions were quite so ridiculous. Wait, you forgot to ask if it gets cold there in the winter (the answer to that would be 'yes' -- it's the coldest place in Texas).

Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,935,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaHere559 View Post
They may seem random but it's hard to find these things out 1200 miles away. I just need some local help.

1. Cost of a gallon of regular gas at local station?

2. Do cars and pick-up's need emissions testing for vehicle registration in Dalhart?

3. Are there burning restrictions for home wood or pellet fireplaces? If so please explain what they are.

4. Property taxes. Roughly how much would you pay per year for prop taxes for a $150,000 home? Also what kind of rates would you pay for utilities Electricity/Gas, Water, sewage, garbage?

5. We have one child. Do they have good libraries and also are there Cub/Boy Scout troops in the Dalhart area? What other things in the area can you think of that would fit this situation?

6. Are there stupid laws like plastic bags being banned in grocery stores or being chargrd for plastic? Banning toys in Kids Meals or making it illegal to allow a dog to ride in the front seats? ( i know they sound stupid but these are the things they are considering in the area and have already past in other parts of the state)

7. Can you drive or walk more than a mile anywhere in town without seeing graffiti spray painted on buildings or vehicles?

8. What Cell phone carriers work best in town and on outskirts?

10. City Parks. Are they well maintained? Do they charge fee's to get in? If they do charge how much? (Bigger parks here it is $5 per day)

I will probably think of more but just can't right now. Thank You in advance for the responses.
As the above poster mentioned, it's a small town of about 7000 people. Questions 2,3, and 6 aren't applicable or given a second thought, I'm sure. Property taxes are higher than the US average in Texas. It looks like there's a small lake/park in the SW outskirts of town, judging from Google Maps. Hope that helps (I haven't gone through there in decades).

Old 04-28-2011, 03:34 PM

12 posts, read 51,236 times
As the others said, Dalhart is a small town. I think the whole town is only about 4 square miles. What made you pick it? My husband is from up that way but we haven't been there in a while. There's really not a lot there. As far as #4, I think you'd probably have trouble finding a house that costs that much. Most in the area will be older and cost less.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,755 times
1. Gas prices will always be more expensive than in amarillo or dumas because all but two gas stations are owned by the same guy and he sets the price
2.no
3.no
4. i know you would probably have to build a house to cost that much and it would probably have to be in canyon view neighborhood
5.There is the library downtown, i think there is still a boy scout troop in town, there is also 4h
6.no stupid laws
7.the only grafitti is a little on the underpasses and at the old spillway (which is outside the city)
8.cell carriers are xit cellular, verizon, and at&t works but there is no at&t company building in town
9. there is no nine
10.There are three parks in town they are all free and almost always clean

Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 13,622 times
Default Some answers

We have lived here just barely over a month and can answer some questions. We moved from southern CA.
During the last month gas has fluctuated from $3.52-$3.69. Usually it is 5 cents more than Dumas, but has been cheaper at least once. We have only been to Amarillo once in that time.

Dalhart is very compact, in that you can walk most anywhere. There seems to be no crime. The first day I drove into town, there was a car with the engine running in a gas station parking lot, with no occupant. Apparently there was no theft worry! I was shocked, not having seen anything like that for 20 years (since I was a kid in a small town in northern CA). Having been here a month now, I am getting more used to things like that. People don't lock their cars, or bikes, etc.

Having two small children, I am delighted with the parks in this small town. They are everywhere. Some have newer play equipment, some have older metal equipment. My kids enjoy both.

The library, though small, so far has had everything we've wanted. Plus they can do inter-library loans at no charge. The kids section is great and at least 1/3 of the library.

So far I love Dalhart. The people are very friendly and welcoming and there are lots of folks from out of town.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:16 PM

Default cell

Oh! There is a verizon cell store in town and that is the only national one so far as I know. We have strighttalk (prepaid) and have had net10. Those work great in town.

There are no cookie-cutter homes in this town. It is a great place to raise a family!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superperson View Post
9. there is no nine

You is alright.

I like you.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,233 times
I'm moving there soon.. for a job im looking for a place

Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Default Place to live

Housing can be difficult to find. Try the Country Inn Apts. 806-249-5873
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas