Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times

Advertisements

Houston is a great choice as it has everything you want, but Houston is huge and picking a place to live and getting a job in that same location can be a bit overwhelming. San Antonio is at the very edge of your 6 hours to Lafayette requirement and is 2 hours to the Corpus Christi beaches. Something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Sounds like Houston is the place for you.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:21 AM

506 posts, read 510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshineandsouthernmess View Post
Alright y’all,

I’m from Louisiana originally and although I LOVE IT and miss my family... the economy tanked, crime is high and it’s not exactly a place I’d like to meet someone and start a family. I moved to Colorado for college and I’m almost done so I’ve made the decision to move to TEXAS! I’ve done research and read nothing but good things. Plus, I’ve pretty much settled on east Texas since it isn’t that far from the LA border so I can go home on holidays and such. In no particular order, I’ve listed below what I want from my future home...

1. NO SNOW OR UNBAREABLE FREEZING TEMPS! I like very mild winters and want more sunny days year round. But, I do love those summer thunderstorms. I’m also not too scared of hurricanes. I am aware that moving anywhere near water and down south, there is potential to lose everything in a hurricane. My family raised me strong. *NEED*
2. I’d like to be close to a beach. I love the beach and I read most beaches in Texas allow dogs which is awesome!! (The beach thing isn’t a requirement but it’s high on my wants list LOL)
3. A low crime rate is a must. I will be moving on my own and want to feel safe in my town...as we all do. Low rape, break in, and robbery!! *NEED*
4. Somewhere with good job prospects. I am finishing my business degree which leaves me with a pretty wide variety of choices on what to do with it. But, I struggled in Louisiana and that constant fear of lay offs and not being able to find a replacement job...I want to avoid that! *NEED*
5. I prefer East Texas. Somewhere 6 hours or less from Lafayette, LA. That’s where I’ll be going to see family.
6. Things to do. I’m a simple girl and entertained pretty easy. I’m just looking for a couple good restaurants, some bars, and random places to meet people since I’ll be starting over completely. DOG PARKS ARE A PLUS SINCE I DO HAVE A LAB!
7. Finally, I don’t want to live in a old run down town but I also don’t want a busy, crowded, hussle like city. A happy medium! WITH NICE PEOPLE!! I miss that southern charm and hospitality, that’s a main reason I want to go back down. My town is filled with rude people, traffic, bad drivers, and selfish greedy personalities. I miss smiles and friendliness, people inviting neighbors over for bbqs and crawfish boils. Everyone is willing to help everyone! *NEED*

Let me know what y’all think and where I can check things off this list!! I’m looking forward to advice and ideas and seeing what people suggest!! Hit me with it y’all!! (:
1. A lot of Texas gets cold in the winter, but around 30 or so, with maybe 20 being the lowest. The cold, snow you think of takes place in the Panhandle or far west Texas in the mountains.

2. Galveston is a beach city, but I don't think it's the kind of place one wants to live in really, but rather visit. You could look into Brazoria County, but the beach does get old after a time. Best times to go to the beach is when you don't visit it often, but set aside a date so you can have something to look forward to, to be excited about visiting. If you live too close, the beach loses its appeal.

3. Low crime rate...usually in small towns that happen. Just get a feel by visiting, driving around, looking at Neighborhood Scout website. I'd advise taking up self-defense classes and own a firearm if you haven't already, but it's up to you. Crime is everywhere, even in small towns.

4. Good job prospects...I'd live about about half an hour to an hour outside of a city. That way you can commute.

5. East Texas is very nice, but Texas is a HUGE state. Even East Texas is big. I live in Huntsville and it takes me two hours to drive to Tyler, Marshall, Longview, Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Kilgore, etc. All are beautiful cities. I grew up in Haughton, outside Shreveport/Bossier and would make weekend trips to Texas. I knew Texas is for me for the rest of my life.

If I HAVE to live in East Texas, it'd be Tyler. I like East Texas, but I am more of a Hill Country person. I am finishing up school myself and hope to heck I find a job that is close to the Hill Country. I'd love to live in someplace like Marble Falls, but again...job.

6. Small, prosperous cities have dog parks and the places you can go to.

7. Tyler isn't an old run-down town. Nor is Longview. You will meet a lot of nice people. There are always rude people, but don't let a few negative people ruin the town you want to live in. I think you will like Tyler. There's another post and replies topic'd "Tyler or Longview" in one of the Texas forums here on City-Data.

Sounds to me you are looking for someplace like the Hill Country. I seek the same. I like the quiet life, the towns where it's like the 1950s, but not rundown, but I also would like to go someplace now and then to be entertained (Austin). I wouldn't even mind commuting to Austin for a job, fighting traffic, as long as I have a nice place to come home to in the Hill Country. The Hill Country is like my "Willoughby" in that episode in "A Stop at Willoughby" in The Twilight Zone.

My advice is to take a few days off and take a road trip in the regions you think you might like. I did.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM

1,982 posts, read 973,595 times
I agree with many of the answers on this thread.

-Take the time to visit areas you are interested in. Speak to the locals there. Ask them what it is like to live there.
-Houston or San Antonio might be good choices. They are both larger areas with jobs available.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Try one of the nicer southern Houston burbs like Pearland or Friendswood. I think they would check most of your boxes.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Try one of the nicer southern Houston burbs like Pearland or Friendswood. I think they would check most of your boxes.

OP has just graduated college and is probably under 30. It doesn't sound like she went straight from high school to college, but I'm doubting she's a prime candidate for a suburb. The more vibrant and singles oriented areas of Houston are probably a better fit for her.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:46 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
OP has just graduated college and is probably under 30. It doesn't sound like she went straight from high school to college, but I'm doubting she's a prime candidate for a suburb. The more vibrant and singles oriented areas of Houston are probably a better fit for her.
I saw she mentioned she didn't want to be in a crazy city with a bunch of hustle, and I think that fits Houston to a tee. So I just mentioned the suburbs as a happy medium where she can still access the amenities of the city if she likes, but would have a little more safety, won't have to deal with as much traffic and craziness and is still 30 minutes or so from the beach.

I could be wrong, but what she described doesn't scream Inner Looper to me.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:20 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I saw she mentioned she didn't want to be in a crazy city with a bunch of hustle, and I think that fits Houston to a tee. So I just mentioned the suburbs as a happy medium where she can still access the amenities of the city if she likes, but would have a little more safety, won't have to deal with as much traffic and craziness and is still 30 minutes or so from the beach.

I could be wrong, but what she described doesn't scream Inner Looper to me.

I guess I missed that one. No one can get 100% of their list for things. It's actually easier for a female to live in the suburbs than male. For the sake of the last sentence, I'm assuming she's going to be moving to Texas as a single female. A female usually has more mating options than a male and doesn't need to have the volume of options that a male needs. It's more crucial for single males to be in the hustle and bustle of a city than single females. A single female in a suburban location, if it is inner ring, can pop into the city for a night at a bar, and get hit on a bunch at times, and have some potential dates.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:12 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
I wouldn't even bother factoring beaches into your consideration. You'd be better off just driving to a MS or AL beach a few times a year than going to a Texas one.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 678 times
Hi OP,

Since safety is one of your needs, you may conduct simple background checks to some people you come across with, whenever you find it necessary. You may do so by checking out [url]https://www.texasarrestwarrants.org/texas-background-check[/url] .

Good luck on your new place!

Last edited by PatriciaC.; 07-13-2018 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: my link is not working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas