Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 PM

13 posts, read 51,802 times

Advertisements

Having lived in the valley for many years I strongly support all TomBradyFan's points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 01:12 PM

17 posts, read 107,066 times
I think the best city to move to in the Valley would be McAllen.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 13 days ago)

52,724 posts, read 48,043,641 times
Default Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgv17_956 View Post
here's more scenes from McAllen

photos from Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing (http://www.flickr.com - broken link)
http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)
These pics are great. This shows progress is being made in the area. Never mind that some of this is retail; the area is doing new things and, from the looks of this, it's not ugly at all. They could do more, sure, but this is a start. And anything with palm trees gets my vote.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,974,435 times
What are race relations like there? Do you need to know Spanish to gain employment? I noticed its 84% Hispanic 14% White there.. or has that changed and CD has it wrong on the facts page for the city?

The pictures do look very nice.. but I wonder if your not just capturing the best of the city, while hiding the worst.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,974,435 times
This is also true of El Paso TX.. I was reading this and El Paso was all I pictured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey rvphoto17, those pics are better. Thanks.

The problem with the border cities compared to other small towns is that the border cities put emphasis on the service and fast-food industries. It does not give the average low income person a chance to succeed or do better. It's an endless cycle--little juanita grows up to run a taco stand like her daddy. Joe graduates high school and works in the local whataburger. Why do they do this? Because the city does not provide better quality of life for these people. Look at the local newspapers. What is celebrated? The opening of more big-box stores. A new Target? Lets rejoice! A new Best Buy? Yes, now we can complete with CITY XYZ! The local border towns are too concerned about how they appear to an outside audience in hopes of attracting more of the same type of people--people that work in low paid service industries and the like. You heard the saying...if you don't leave the Valley by X year, you'll never leave! It's true. Why? because the valley does not have the types of jobs that further the quality of life in the region.

It's an endless cycle. New walmarts, new mcdonalds, new big box stores....that's great and all for the consumer but not the person trying to break out of the low income mold. This is my main complaint with living down in that region. McAllen seems to be fixing that problem a little more lately, but I'm not quite convinced yet.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:25 PM

i found this one on Wikipedia

Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 13 days ago)

52,724 posts, read 48,043,641 times
Whoa!! What highway is that? If it's McAllen, then it must be U.S. 83. It's the only freeway that runs through there.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Whoa!! What highway is that? If it's McAllen, then it must be U.S. 83. It's the only freeway that runs through there.
yeah that's expressway 83...
it was probably taken on a sunday... traffic is usually not that light.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:54 PM

Default McAllen's "Changing Face"

Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 PM

378 posts, read 1,443,791 times
It's good that the city is growing but it's just boring suburban growth. That's the only ting I hate about those pics other then that their good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas