Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:58 AM

16 posts, read 15,493 times

Advertisements

Can someone please give me their honest opinion about living in Midland or the surrounding areas? I'm looking for the Good, the Bad and the Ugly!!! Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 11:53 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Well, I have lived here in Midland for 25 years OP.I am pretty tired of it.Its flat,ugly landscape and nothing to do.It has a really high cost of living and bad schools.I am ready to move as soon as I can.Its also really isolated.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:51 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
That about sums it up. ^I don't think the schools are very bad if you go private. They seem like some of the best private schools in Texas.
It is a good place to make money and then return home after a while. It wouldn't be too bad if you owned a huge ranch, but I don't think it's really a place for an outsider to call home.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:39 AM

16 posts, read 15,493 times
Thank you for honesty!

Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
That about sums it up. ^I don't think the schools are very bad if you go private. They seem like some of the best private schools in Texas.
It is a good place to make money and then return home after a while. It wouldn't be too bad if you owned a huge ranch, but I don't think it's really a place for an outsider to call home.
ya we do have some pretty good private schools.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:13 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,015 times
I've heard Midland is booming right now. Jobs are highly paid.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,081,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
I've heard Midland is booming right now. Jobs are highly paid.
Typically and simply "the" story when the price of oil soars, as it is now.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:26 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
The cost of living in Midland mirrors the oil market - boom or bust. Housing is ultra expensive and hard to come by when oil prices are high, but the opposite is true when the price is low.

Midland is kinda known for being the white collar city to the more blue collar Odessa. It seems like an excellent place to raise a family, though likely not very exciting if you're a party animal in your 20s.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:22 PM

132 posts, read 95,045 times
Midland is booming. I have a friend from LA who's husband works in oil and gas. They moved to Midland a year ago. Huge culture shock, but she says she's happy. It depends on you obviously. Cheap COL.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:27 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,104 times
Default 11 years

I have lived here for 11 years and have school age children, there is plenty to do for them--every activity you can possibly think of, it gets harder for the teens/college age but still plenty of sports, theater, religious activities for them to do. Right now it seems like the infrastructure can barely keep up with the growth and that includes, schools, roads, services etc. We did public school but are in private school now. It takes a long time to get anything done but if you are patient you can get it done (car inspections, flat tire fixed, appointment for orthodontics etc etc) everything will take awhile. You have to eat out early to avoid crowds, may restaurants have to close early or shut partly down because not enough staff. Unemployment is extremely low, businesses are begging for workers, Target has a table set up at their entrance to nab potential employees as you walk in! I have also met some of the nicest people here, people who will definitely help you out if you need it, they are the first to bring food if you are sick or give your kids a ride etc etc. but that being said, the terrain is sad and if you go somewhere like the Davis Mountains or the Hill Country then drive back to Midland, the difference in scenery is mind blowing and the thought will pass through your head "why do we live here?!!" and the answer is because the kids don't want to leave right now and we are making good money and that is the truth. Every holiday or day off we head out of town for greener pastures. Feel free to send me a PM if you want more specifics, ive met lots of people this way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas