Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 34,084 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I am a single, twenty-four year old mother of a two year old child currently living in a city that is slowly but surely driving me out of the cost of living bracket. I am two months from finishing my education in the medical field at a trade/professional school and have some money saved towards the purchase of a new home. With the average cost of a home in my area being approximately $750,000 (on the low end), I have been informed that Texas is an excellent area for first time home buyers. Unfortunately, thats all I know about Texas. Im looking for SAFETY above all else, and an excellent school district for my daughter. Can anyone recommend an area where homes are around $140,000 and below, and where I won't have to be too concerned with racism and violence?
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Last edited by kaylsmills; 04-01-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylsmills View Post
Hello everyone!
I am a single, twenty-four year old mother of a two year old child currently living in a city that is slowly but surely driving me out of the cost of living bracket. I am two months from finishing my education in the medical field at a trade/professional school and have some money saved towards the purchase of a new home. With the average cost of a home in my area being approximately $750,000 (on the low end), I have been informed that Texas is an excellent area for first time home buyers. Unfortunately, thats all I know about Texas. Im looking for SAFETY above all else, and an excellent school district for my daughter. Can anyone recommend an area where homes are around $140,000 and below, and where I won't have to be too concerned with racism and violence?
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Did you post in the wrong forum? You posted in the San Jose thread and I don't think you will find any $140,000 in San Jose...I'm guessing you are moving out of San Jose? Anyways, I can tell you a little bit about my state and the areas I have been to in it.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:19 PM

Yes!!! I sure did! And Im sooo frustrated trying to change that. Any tips on how to post in the correct forum?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylsmills View Post
Yes!!! I sure did! And Im sooo frustrated trying to change that. Any tips on how to post in the correct forum?
Honestly, I don't know...I see though you are finishing your studies in the medical field...I can tell you that while Denton, Texas' housing costs are not the lowest in the state, you might wanna check out my hometown as the Texas Woman's University might be what your looking for...and I'm sure that after living in SJ or anywhere in Coastal California...your opportunities for housing while studying will not be few and far between...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanx so much! I'll give Denton a look.
Maybe I could just re-post my message.
Do you know how to post new ones?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 PM

go to the texas forum...I dunno whether you wanna post in Texas (The state as a whole), Dallas, or Fort Worth...because it is just up north from both of those cities...I'm actually going to try and get some pics up to put in one of the forums soon so...but maybe the Texas forum would be best without one of those other cities...(We Dentonites) like to think of our town as its own place and not a suburb of Metroplex...

Old 04-05-2008, 05:17 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
D'oh! Sorry, I should have caught this sooner... only a moderator can move your post, so I'll take care of that asap.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
The medical field in Tyler, Texas is outstanding...one of the best in the US. Homes are very inexpensive! You are only a little over an hour to Dallas.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:19 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Good medical school at Texas Tech in Lubbock along with cheap housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas