Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It was expensive because insurance inserted themselves as needless middlemen who jacked up the prices, and now they have themselves enshrined into law. It’s not because you unwisely didn’t have insurance the same time as some immigrant families scrubbing toilets for $7/hour.
OK, whatever you say. I was there and I have no clue as to if they were immigrant families scrubbing toilets for $7/hour but since you say so . . . They could have been born in Fort Worth for all I know with the guys knocking down good money in whatever job they did have. I know they did not choose to speak English and they were not required to show any I.D.

As to the reason at the time I did not 'wisely' have insurance I did not go into and I don't regard it as anyone else's business. I don't mind paying for services I receive, but I do want it to be fair. Insurance companies have done a number on the costs of things, but that is widely acknowledged. I was not naive when I asked the doctor the question, I just wanted to make my point.

I unwisely used a personal experience as a point because I was exchanging viewpoints with a civil poster and actually enjoying the exchange of views on this board for once.

Time to exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 11:54 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
OK, whatever you say. I was there and I have no clue as to if they were immigrant families scrubbing toilets for $7/hour but since you say so . . . They could have been born in Fort Worth for all I know with the guys knocking down good money in whatever job they did have. I know they did not choose to speak English and they were not required to show any I.D.

As to the reason at the time I did not 'wisely' have insurance I did not go into and I don't regard it as anyone else's business. I don't mind paying for services I receive, but I do want it to be fair. Insurance companies have done a number on the costs of things, but that is widely acknowledged. I was not naive when I asked the doctor the question, I just wanted to make my point.

I unwisely used a personal experience as a point because I was exchanging viewpoints with a civil poster and actually enjoying the exchange of views on this board for once.

Time to exit.
I’m just saying, assuming you and/or your daughter have received healthcare in the last 20-30 years, the prices shouldn’t have come as a shock. The $7/hour thing is the deduction where I take your word seriously about their inability to speak English and their $0 bill, because the only way that would be the case would be at a public hospital with a sliding pay scale. Otherwise, it just sounds like a story from one of those right wing spam emails my great aunt sends me.

But rather than look to greed from the insurance industry, the hospital’s pricing scheme, or your own financial missteps, you chose to make assumptions about and blame people speaking a different language.

Last edited by Westerner92; 11-09-2018 at 12:04 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 08:55 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post

But rather than look to greed from the insurance industry, the hospital’s pricing scheme, or your own financial missteps, you chose to make assumptions about and blame people speaking a different language.
This 100%! My wife works in the medical industry and the current state is sickening. She vents about it constantly. The ridiculous greed from the insurance industry, the pharmaceutical industry, and the hospitals is staggering.

Blaming people who speak a different language is just a convenient excuse. Its just the narrative trying to be taught.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:49 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Can we have a reference for this statistic, please?

Not a hard fact, but more of a compilation of the following data (and much more- actually have my Masters in Sports Medicine so have studies this kind of stuff a lot). There is a significant piece of ER visits which are attributed to mental health, which I did not touch on, but which my daughter has suffered from her entire life. Just trying to find help for her - and I am sure many reading this have also experienced - it becomes obvious what a gaping hole we have in this country when it comes to mental health. I won't be talking further about that- too emotional for me.

BTW - My entire family on both maternal and paternal sides, are either fat, or obese, but I am not. Regardless of the genetic component, it can be thwarted. The biggest problem is the quality of food in this country, and cultural dogma around food, and lack of exercise. Lonestar alluded to kids not knowing any better and how there is no clear solution; but also westerner talked about more PE in schools (obviously I agree with that - see my chosen degree plan), bearing in mind PE = physical EDUCATION. The physical part is very important, but how about kids also being TAUGHT what happens with food on a chemical level to change your body? That won't happen because we have completely ruined our food by putting stuff in it so that it can grow bigger, better, faster, more and all for MONEY

(I'm getting myself angry....better stop here....)

https://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/H...table-20170919

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111009/

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/causes.html

https://stateofobesity.org/healthcare-costs-obesity/

https://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/data_stati...rt_disease.htm

https://www.heritage.org/health-care...at-can-be-done

https://health.usnews.com/health-new...he-er-for-care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas