Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2018, 10:37 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I have decided not to take anything you say seriously unless you provide at least an equal amount of evidence as TexasReb had.
Argumentum ad verecundiam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 04:26 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Argumentum ad verecundiam
Quicquid iuvat nocte dormiunt.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Quicquid iuvat nocte dormiunt.
Amisso Disputatio

Old 11-22-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Amisso Disputatio
Non est tibi (close enough)

(I feel like we might be hijacking the thread now haha)

Old 11-22-2018, 09:36 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
All of my Texas born and raised kinfolk consider grits to be an abomination. In fact, the only one who will eat grits when we go to Cracker Barrel is my immigrant husband. My sister moved to Georgia about a decade ago and she doesn't really consider Texas to be Southern.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Viva le France!

Carpe Diem!

E pluribus unum!

Semper fi!

Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
All of my Texas born and raised kinfolk consider grits to be an abomination. In fact, the only one who will eat grits when we go to Cracker Barrel is my immigrant husband. My sister moved to Georgia about a decade ago and she doesn't really consider Texas to be Southern.
Honestly I don't think grits is the be all, end all of southerness.

I grew up in NY and we had grits quite commonly. It may not have been a staple here back in the 1950's, sure, but by the 80's and 90's it made its way up here.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
It's not just grits, y'all. It's also boiled peanuts (I know you can find them in Texas but they are still a rarity), cowboy churches (Texas has tons of them - the traditionally "deep South" states don't have nearly the concentration), the southwestern and Mexican influences (less the further east you go), the accents (they definitely differ by region), the economic base, the African American influence ("deep South" states have a lot more of it), etc., etc. Texas is definitely a southern state, on the border of the American South, but it's not a Deep South state. That's all I'm saying.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:49 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's not just grits, y'all. It's also boiled peanuts (I know you can find them in Texas but they are still a rarity), cowboy churches (Texas has tons of them - the traditionally "deep South" states don't have nearly the concentration), the southwestern and Mexican influences (less the further east you go), the accents (they definitely differ by region), the economic base, the African American influence ("deep South" states have a lot more of it), etc., etc. Texas is definitely a southern state, on the border of the American South, but it's not a Deep South state. That's all I'm saying.
Exactly this. South Carolina to Louisiana is deep south. That doesn't mean places like Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia aren't southern. But they don't have the deep south feel that those places have. And then you have the Mississippi delta regions of Tennessee and Arkansas that are much more akin to Mississippi deep south feel than Appalachian regions of Georgia, Alabama and the Carolinas.

I think we forgot the hallowed place that high school and college football hold that anchors Texas deeply with its fellow southern brethren. It is not experienced on this level in any other part of the country. Don't know if anyone mentioned that.

Differences don't make it not the south. But it's banging one's head against the wall at this point to say otherwise. There is an arrogance in some Texans that is both compelling and off putting at the same time. This refusal to say they aren't southern and just "Texas" is bordering on the off putting side.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:29 PM

3,890 posts, read 2,204,375 times
In my opinion Texas is a little bit of everything: southern, southwestern, Mexican and a dash of the midwest. It's what makes us unique and awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas