Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:35 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Grew up in warm weather but spent the last almost 20 years in the Northeast .. snow. cold and all! Not looking for scorching heat but it also gets hot in NE in the summer ..

Boy that's a laugh!

Quote:
Are there moderate climate areas in TX that are still booming but don't scare away snowflakes from the East?
No.

Texas is more or less between the southern Great Plains and the northern end of the Great Coahuila/Chihuahua Desert. The Great Plains has wild swings in weather, as we're far away from the moderating influence of any ocean. The Great Coahuila/Chihuahua Desert is hotter than Hades (it used to be called the "despoblado"; even the Indians largely avoided it). So the region in between these is not going to ever be characterized by "moderate climate".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Quote:
Grew up in warm weather but spent the last almost 20 years in the Northeast .. snow. cold and all! Not looking for scorching heat but it also gets hot in NE in the summer ..probably not at the same level as TX and summers are short lived here..

Wife is a physician and I'm in IT, programmer and planning to work remotely so location is not going to be that much of a factor for IT related jobs but would like to be in an area that does offer jobs in case I need to be onsite.

Are there moderate climate areas in TX that are still booming but don't scare away snowflakes from the East?
every booming big city area in Texas gets really hot in the summertime.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:51 PM

514 posts, read 438,237 times
I'm trying to compare the summer in TX to say summer in NY and MA, so the temperatures are high and maybe the length of the summer in TX is different from NY and MA? Is the difference too extreme or would you say it really depends on individual tolerance for heat?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Quote:
I'm trying to compare the summer in TX to say summer in NY and MA, so the temperatures are high and maybe the length of the summer in TX is different from NY and MA? Is the difference too extreme or would you say it really depends on individual tolerance for heat?
I've lived in both places. Remember those three day "heat waves" in the NE, when it hits 95 plus and the dew point rises to 75? Everybody is cranky and sticky because not everyone has AC? Well, it's like that for about four months. The big difference is everyone here has AC. My office, house, and car make life easy. When I went back to visit, we had a heat wave. I had to spend half the time in the cellar because I couldn't take it.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 PM

I hear about the AC being everywhere in TX and at least that part is nothing to worry about. It's similar in that I didn't find any issues having AC or climate controlled places in the South Shore in Boston but I hear you that it barely goes over 100 for too long but if one is in a car with an AC and every building you go to has AC then it's not that bad. Heck I even carried umbrella in Boston for better heat protection..when not in a car and walking to train station..probably got some strange looks from others but it helped..

Before real Texans start scorching me .. I'm naturally tanned and if I got little more Sun I would be crisp brown!!

So what are you saying that you were able to adjust going from NE to TX and it's manageable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I've lived in both places. Remember those three day "heat waves" in the NE, when it hits 95 plus and the dew point rises to 75? Everybody is cranky and sticky because not everyone has AC? Well, it's like that for about four months. The big difference is everyone here has AC. My office, house, and car make life easy. When I went back to visit, we had a heat wave. I had to spend half the time in the cellar because I couldn't take it.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:19 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,213,500 times
Texas wasn't really settled until air conditioners were invented. If you spend too much time in the sun without proper protection you could possibly earn skin cancer like my mom did.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 AM

160 posts, read 196,273 times
Quote:
I hear about the AC being everywhere in TX and at least that part is nothing to worry about. It's similar in that I didn't find any issues having AC or climate controlled places in the South Shore in Boston but I hear you that it barely goes over 100 for too long but if one is in a car with an AC and every building you go to has AC then it's not that bad. Heck I even carried umbrella in Boston for better heat protection..when not in a car and walking to train station..probably got some strange looks from others but it helped..

Before real Texans start scorching me .. I'm naturally tanned and if I got little more Sun I would be crisp brown!!

So what are you saying that you were able to adjust going from NE to TX and it's manageable?

Basically every house in the state has an AC unit of some kind. Something to consider is you will need to run it almost non stop in the summer which causes our electricity bills to double. You can develop some tolerance to the heat. That said, from May - October nobody really does anything outdoors unless you have a pool or go to the lake. With the humidity being so high you sweat like crazy which causes dehydration and heat stroke quickly.

Heat related deaths of kids, elderly, pets, and homeless are pretty common news stories during the summer months. It can be very dangerous if ignored.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 PM

Looking at Houston area, mostly suburbs. Spoke to someone who lives in Sugarland. They speak highly of the area. What do you think about Houston suburbs, Sugarland vs Woodlands, for family of 5, will be enrolling kids in elementary and middle schools. How's the commute to Houston downtown?

The person I spoke to works in Texas Medical Center and that's apparently not all the way in the downtown Houston.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:18 PM

738 posts, read 764,821 times
Quote:
Looking at Houston area, mostly suburbs. Spoke to someone who lives in Sugarland. They speak highly of the area. What do you think about Houston suburbs, Sugarland vs Woodlands, for family of 5, will be enrolling kids in elementary and middle schools. How's the commute to Houston downtown?

The person I spoke to works in Texas Medical Center and that's apparently not all the way in the downtown Houston.
There's an old joke you can live in Corpus and get to the med center in the morning faster by flying to Hobby and taking a cab than commuting from Sugarland by car. It's "typically" a 25-75 minute commute but can be worse. Pretty much all of the Med Center Hospitals have Sugarland annexes because of that. It's kinda one of the worst commutes in the United States.

Corpus doesn't usually hit 100 and has Boston level wind speed so is more "moderate" than other parts of the state except the couple weeks a year where the wind stops and that happens to be August/September so we can get mid 90's and high 80's humidity. (That's when you go to Colorado for vacation).

Old 03-25-2019, 01:04 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,240 times
Quote:

You might want to look at Pearland--that would be your easiest commute to the Med Center. Downtown Houston and the TMC are in separate areas within the city. Do you know for certain your wife would be working in the TMC? I'd recommend finding the job first, then deciding on where to live. Unless she is joining a specific group that practices only in the Medical Center, you'd probably be better off locating to the suburb where the job is located. There are opportunities in the medical field throughout the area, including all the way to Galveston. It can take well over an hour to travel from one side of town to the other, so not good if one has to take call.

School options will likely be better in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas