Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:18 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It is a national park in a desert many dozens (hundreds) of miles away from any town of any size whatsoever. I believe there are one or two lodgings in the park itself which are definitely not luxurious. Basically, if you have a group of backpackers and you arrive from your drive at 2 am and you just want to crash, or you want to come off the trail after a week of hiking and you want a hot shower and a night's sleep in a bed before you start the 10 hour drive back home, that's what they offer. Not much more.

You bring food, and you eat what you brought. Bring a Coleman stove and cook a few things on that, but of course if you are on the trail you either eat cold food or use a backpacker's stove (I like the white gas stove, but there are other choices).

If you are not prepared to camp and live rough, Big Bend is not for you. It is not a resort area, nor should it be. Those of us who don't want everything turned into Cancun deserve a few places to ourselves.
Great Post! I'd rep again if I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:16 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I've not been to big bend yet, so take this with a grain of salt. However, the fact that it doesn't have all the touristy accommodations seems like a massive feature to me, not a down side.

In fact, I'm in the planning stage of doing a week long trip to Big Bend this spring with some friends.

I've been to a large number of national parks. While the popular features and panoramas are usually incredible, the crowds really deteriorate the experience.

Take Yellowstone. One time when I was there traffic was backed up for an hour and a half because some lady thought she saw a bear (it was a tree stump) on a mountain side and created a chain reaction backup. Yosemite, Yellowstone etc are full of laud annoying tourists who generally have little to no respect for other people.

Last summer when I was in Rocky Mountain National Park, the crowds were so large that we spent a considerable amount of time on certain trails letting other people up or down the single file path. Yes, I did do some more remote hikes that were less crowded, but sometimes the more popular ones are that way for a reason.

I mean I think it is great that more people than ever, even the less outdoorsy, can experience natural beauty because of our NPs. In generally I think that's a positive thing, but my personal favorite hikes tend to be in National Forests that are less touristy but frequently have just as impressive natural beauty, in Protected Wilderness areas or in the less popular/ accessible National parks, which apparently big bend is one of.

Anyway, I think that is one of the big appeals of Big Bend, it's one of a handful of NP (in the lower 48 at least) that are genuinely remote and uncrowded.

Based on my research, whats wrong with Terlingua? It seems like a perfectly find jump off point to the park. I see tons of options, from motels to guest houses in town. I've stayed in similar accommodations in Moab just last week and its just fine. Terlingua even seems to have a few fairly nice restaurants. I think people should have more of an open mind towards small locally owed motels, especially near touristy areas, most of the ones I've stayed in are plenty cozy.

IDK if Terlingua is too much roughing it for you, I'm not sure Big Bend is your thing, maybe catch a cheap flight to Colorado and stay at a resort hotel in Estes Park.

Provided you don't have a medical reason not to, why not try camping? If you are worried you don't have the skills you can always hit up your local REI or whatever, they offer all sorts of fun classes for people of different levels. Then again, you can always just use google, I've learned all sorts of useful camping skills: new knots, new fire starting methods etc just from good old Google.
Thanks for the info. I've been to other nat'l parks, so I know what you mean about it getting too crowded. But I also think it's nice to have a great day of hiking then celebrate with a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant and maybe a massage the next day when you're feeling a little sore.

I've tried camping. I hate it. I like long hot showers and soft beds too much.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
There is a very nice resort in Lajitas: https://www.lajitasgolfresort.com
I stayed at the Lajitas Resort a few years back. It's very nice and not that expensive. You can even fly into there!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:20 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Thanks for the info. I've been to other nat'l parks, so I know what you mean about it getting too crowded. But I also think it's nice to have a great day of hiking then celebrate with a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant and maybe a massage the next day when you're feeling a little sore.

What you are describing is NOT AVAILABLE in Big Bend. Others have explained that and why.

Either prepare for backcountry backpacking, or pick another place to hike.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

If Terlingua is too much roughing it for you you could always try Davis Mountains State Park. The lodge there is apparently pretty nice according to one of my friends who's mother had a bad back and can't camp. You could always do a day trip from there to Big Bend. IDK that might be a nice compromise. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What you are describing is NOT AVAILABLE in Big Bend.
That's simply not true. But don't just take my word for it. Here's a pair of quotes from the web site of the Lajitas Resort, which is linked earier in the thread.

"We invite you to experience the myriad of activities available to you during your stay. For those who want a more relaxing experience, guests can enjoy a massage at the Agave Spa, relax by the crystal clear waters of our swimming pools, watch a movie at the Flat Rock Theatre,or simply enjoy the quiet of Big Bend."

"Enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Candelilla Café where we offer a diverse menu from prime cut steaks, chicken, seafood and a selection of signature side dishes. Choose from creative selections such as our house made guacamole/queso, fajitas, blackened salmon to our prime filet mignon. With panoramic views from the dining room or patio of the surrounding mountains and Lajitas’ award winning Black Jack’s Crossing golf course, you’ll enjoy the friendly service of our staff and the savory cuisine by our executive chef in a relaxed setting. "

Get thee to Lajitas, OP!

Old 01-06-2019, 10:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
OK, an hour's drive from the park HQ to Lajitas. I suppose that is doable pretty easily.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:40 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I stayed at the Lajitas Resort a few years back. It's very nice and not that expensive. You can even fly into there!
Yes BO, I suppose YOU can fly into there. Lajitas is as fancy as it can be for the Big Bend area. I suspect, and I could very well be wrong, that this is not an option for the OP. More of a drive into the area and looking for a resort, which you and I both know is Lajitas.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 AM

349 posts, read 260,644 times
You might also try Big Bend Ranch State Park. Hiking, mountain-biking, etc. Presidio, TX nearby with several hotels.

Big Bend Ranch SP

Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,110 times
Given what you've said, I don't know that Big Bend is going to be a fun experience for you. It is rough and remote and it eats comfort seekers for lunch.

I'll never forget backpacking the Marufo Vega Trail. After 10 or so miles of hiking we set camp for the night. Everything was prickly, even the rocks didn't want you coming near. I'll never forget finding a spot where it was obvious folks had camped before because it was the ONLY smooth rock we saw for several days. It was as if human buttocks had worn down the corrosive nastiness of the spot--it was a beacon of relative comfort in an otherwise ornery place.

Having said that, you might try the resort in Lajitas and stick to mellow day hikes. I'd recommend the Chisos Mountains. Check out St Elena Canyon too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas