Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:19 AM

7 posts, read 13,037 times

Advertisements

Hello, i am curently living in Mexico and been considering to move back to usa, especifically Brownsville. Wondering if local residents can enlight me more on how's crime there, or if the town is a safe place to settle. Job wise and so on?

Malls, gamestop, cinemas, what are good places to check there?

In advance thanks for your time and attention to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
It is relatively safe. It has to be better than Mexico. I'm sure somebody will link how it's the "safest metro in the country" but that is just because of low trust in the police, so crime doesn't get reported as often. It's still not bad though. I would rather live there than most parts of Houston, Dallas, or any large city in the south really. Most of the growth is near McAllen. I honestly know a lot more about McAllen, which still isn't a lot, but hopefully somebody can specify more on Brownsville. It's near the best beach in Texas, which is enough of a reason for me to like it.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
It is relatively safe. It has to be better than Mexico. I'm sure somebody will link how it's the "safest metro in the country" but that is just because of low trust in the police, so crime doesn't get reported as often. It's still not bad though. I would rather live there than most parts of Houston, Dallas, or any large city in the south really. Most of the growth is near McAllen. I honestly know a lot more about McAllen, which still isn't a lot, but hopefully somebody can specify more on Brownsville. It's near the best beach in Texas, which is enough of a reason for me to like it.
Thanks for the answer, by the way how is the weather in there, i have been reading mixed answers in quora and other sites, some people says is too hot, others says weather is good.

Noticed by looking at google maps the town have got some growth in the recent years

Old 04-05-2019, 10:53 AM

It is pretty damn hot. Look at this chart. I guess it depends what you call "good". I am from San Antonio so I can handle it more or less but it still sucks sometimes.

Yes, the entire Rio Grande Valley area is growing pretty rapidly. Brownsville not as much, but it's definitely changed over time if you've ever visited.

This is from the reddit about Rio Grande Valley. It was made by somebody who lives there, and it was a pretty popular comment, so people must agree. These are just stereotypes about each of the towns down there (there are a lot of towns down there).

Roma - Drug dealers and immigrants

Rio Grande City - Drug dealers and rancheros

Sullivan City - Drug smuggling crossing point

Peñitas - River crossing point for drugs

La Joya - Speed trap and politics

Mission - the ghetto Sharyland, good football

Sharyland - where the white people in the Valley live

Hidalgo - immigrants and State Farm arena

McAllen - where the rich people in the Valley live and the people from - Mexico come to shop

Edinburg - UTPA and that's pretty much it

Pharr - McAllen's ugly stepsister, but with gangs

San Juan/Alamo - ???

Donna - gang central, lots of fighting

Weslaco - for some reason the water smells, and sluts

Hargill - vatos locos

Edcouch-Elsa - good football, pregnant teens

Santa Rosa - where people go gamble

Mercedes - outlet malls, stockshow

La Feria - I've never ever ever stopped here. Does anyone even go there?

Harlingen - the poor Brownsville

San Benito - like La Feria

Raymondville - hicks

Los Fresons - Speed trap, stop here to get snacks for the beach

Rio Hondo - nobody knows how to get there, not even the people from Rio Hondo

Port Isabel - smells like fish, go to the HEB for beach supplies

South Padre - smelly beach, overpriced food, but always a good time

Brownsville - the zoo, and immigrants

https://www.reddit.com/r/RioGrandeVa...st_reputation/

Assuming you don't get good replies, maybe you could try that sight. I know there is a poster from McAllen here, and he probably knows a good amount about Brownsville. Not sure if I've seen anyone actually from Brownsville

Old 04-06-2019, 01:41 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
I live in the McAllen area, but don't know too much about Brownsville. I have been to Brownsville 4 times in the 4 1/2 years that I have lived in the Valley. From what I have seen, it is a fine city. It seems well spread out, with no traffic congestion. It seems to have wide open areas so you don't get the feeling that you are in a large city. I remember seeing fisheries on the east side with plenty of fishing boats. It is close to South Padre Island, my favorite beach resort. Sorry I can't offer anything more.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Im on that side of the valley (About 10-15 mins from Brownsville) Definitely has a better selection of places to eat no doubt than Harlingen/San Benito and other surrounding areas. . Its fine. Plenty to do. Love the Olmito Flea Market there and its quick shot over to SPI where I go every Friday night to eat Shrimp in the Fall and Winter Months

Ive been in the Valley for 13 years after graduating college . NEVER had a problem. I had more problems living in the northeast than I ever have had in the valley. And I'm an Anglo. With that said. Its definitely segregated. Whites generally stay with whites. Hispanics with Hispanics. It feels like 1960s Mississippi. Its different than Northeast than that regard no doubt. But all and all its fine. Safe and everyone is pretty easy going and laid back and friendly

The whole Valley is growing pretty rapidly. Great place to live. Far cheaper than Florida too

Old 04-06-2019, 06:49 PM

I didn't know there were enough white people for them to only hang out with each other

Old 04-06-2019, 07:19 PM

thanks for the replies guys, honestly the more i research i am sure i will love the place

Old 04-06-2019, 07:41 PM

243 posts, read 268,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Houston is the safest city in Texas and much more safer than many small towns

Old 04-06-2019, 07:50 PM

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas