Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:58 PM

71 posts, read 167,815 times

Advertisements

Casa Grande peak

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 07:45 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times
Wow! Look at that beautiful sky!

squatt3r, your pictures are great. Thanks for sharing!

Here's hoping some more Big Bend pictures show up in this thread.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,171,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Just my opinion of course, but I believe that the Big Bend area is just beautiful. I've lived in Houston for all of my life and just discovered Big Bend a couple of years ago. When I was a kid, we would often take driving trips out West, but we'd just head west on I-10 until we got to El Paso, then head North into New Mexico and then sometimes go on to Arizona, Utah, or Colorado. For some reason, we never went to Big Bend though.

Well, I was bored when I had a week off a couple of years ago and I thought I would try going somewhere new, not knowing what to expect. When I got to Big Bend, I was amazed by how beautiful and varied the scenery was. The different rock formations, desert mountains, and winding river with the strip of greenery around it were beautiful. I also loved the wild horses that I saw, the roadrunners, and different types of cacti.

Then there is Terlingua which has its own charm. The old ruins, old hippie/"free spirited"/artistic people, remoteness, and overall vibe of the small desert community were fascinating to me.

It's just my favorite part of Texas. I wonder how many people have spent their lives in the Texas triangle and have thought that the only scenic area of Texas is the Hill Country (not knocking the Hill Country of course, it is a very nice area). I think Big Bend is just one of those underrated places that a lot people don't really know about or think about.
It’s one of the most beautiful area of Texas.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:06 AM

here are a few pano shots

Old 10-17-2019, 03:59 PM

638 posts, read 568,142 times
Being from Dallas and Big Sprng. Big Bend is the prettiest place in Texas. It is our West Texas Mexico world.
I lived in Guadaljata Mexico for four years. Living in Mexico was the best 4 years of my life. Mexican cities are amazing, the people are humane, soophistacated, wise.Their cities are in Mexico are marvels of man.America does not understand Mexico in any way. I lived there for years.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM

638 posts, read 568,142 times
Default Mexico is an old culture

I lived in the US and Mexico countries. I prefered Mexico. Maybe because I liked Mexican people and their culture. The food there was good but not to my love. I was a fan of Guadalara. That city is a world city on any level. If I came back I might choose Guamajuato,

Old 10-19-2019, 02:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
I agree BB is incredible. I had no idea how great it was, and it is a long ways from any where else Id been so it felt like a whole nother country. Not just the BB NP either. As a kid I recall hearing Presidio was the hottest place in the US many time but it was not at all what I expected. Just a nice quaint small town that felt like it could have been in Mexico or a few other latin countries. We made two trips down there thus far. First trip we stayed in lajita in a historic place where former calvary quarters were converted to a neat hotel. Second trip we stayed in Shafter at Cibolo Creek Ranch. No phone, no television, no cell signal. Its a restored private fort that is a national historic register place. The story of Milton Farber who built these forts to protect his family living in this no mans land with danger in all directions. It too is a unique place and attractive in S. Texas remote sort of way. This is where SCOTUS justice Scalia passed away. Several movies have been filmed in this location. Several hollywood types escape from the paparazzi down here. The meals are served family style, no menus just tell the cooks during the day if you have any special diet restrictions. The bar is self service, you get a card that you place a mark on each time you got a drink. It is better known in Europe than in the USA for some reason. We had an even split when we were there. Makes conversation fascinating over the lunch.

Its takes a long drive to see this area whether you are coming from Houston, San Antonio, Dallas or even El Paso. Nearest commercial service airport I believe is Midland but they do have a private landing strip for those with their own plane. Anyway its worth the trip

Old 10-20-2019, 10:06 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree BB is incredible. I had no idea how great it was, and it is a long ways from any where else Id been so it felt like a whole nother country. Not just the BB NP either. As a kid I recall hearing Presidio was the hottest place in the US many time but it was not at all what I expected. Just a nice quaint small town that felt like it could have been in Mexico or a few other latin countries. We made two trips down there thus far. First trip we stayed in lajita in a historic place where former calvary quarters were converted to a neat hotel. Second trip we stayed in Shafter at Cibolo Creek Ranch. No phone, no television, no cell signal. Its a restored private fort that is a national historic register place. The story of Milton Farber who built these forts to protect his family living in this no mans land with danger in all directions. It too is a unique place and attractive in S. Texas remote sort of way. This is where SCOTUS justice Scalia passed away. Several movies have been filmed in this location. Several hollywood types escape from the paparazzi down here. The meals are served family style, no menus just tell the cooks during the day if you have any special diet restrictions. The bar is self service, you get a card that you place a mark on each time you got a drink. It is better known in Europe than in the USA for some reason. We had an even split when we were there. Makes conversation fascinating over the lunch.

Its takes a long drive to see this area whether you are coming from Houston, San Antonio, Dallas or even El Paso. Nearest commercial service airport I believe is Midland but they do have a private landing strip for those with their own plane. Anyway its worth the trip
Yeah they have talked about Chibolo ranch on the ticket a couple times in the last few months.

From what ive gatheted about it, it is basicly a dude ranch for the rich and famous.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Old 10-26-2019, 03:08 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,465 times
I have visited the area a number of times and, while it is all pretty interesting, Big Bend Natl. Park stands out as a special place. Has anyone here been to Maderas del Carmen Natural Reserve on the Mexico side? The mountains there seem to be a bit more extensive and reach a bit higher altitudes than the Chisos. (Some of the Sierra del Carmen mountains can be seen from the US side, looking south from Boquillas in BBNP -- pretty impressive)

I have stayed a couple of times at the Lajitas Resort, which is right on the Rio Grande. It's a very nice facility and easier to book accommodations at than at the Chisos Lodge in BB Park. Haven't been to the Cibolo Creek Ranch, but I'm curious about it. However, I'm not into hunting or heavy drinking, so I don't know whether that would make a visit there less interesting.

A couple of weeks ago, I spent a long weekend in the Davis Mtns area, which is also interesting, although (to me) it lacks the other-worldly charm of the Chisos Mtns. It is definitely worth a visit and the "Star Parties" at the McDonald Observatory there are worth taking in, in addition to hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas