Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 03:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I have visited the area a number of times and, while it is all pretty interesting, Big Bend Natl. Park stands out as a special place. Has anyone here been to Maderas del Carmen Natural Reserve on the Mexico side? The mountains there seem to be a bit more extensive and reach a bit higher altitudes than the Chisos. (Some of the Sierra del Carmen mountains can be seen from the US side, looking south from Boquillas in BBNP -- pretty impressive)

I have stayed a couple of times at the Lajitas Resort, which is right on the Rio Grande. It's a very nice facility and easier to book accommodations at than at the Chisos Lodge in BB Park. Haven't been to the Cibolo Creek Ranch, but I'm curious about it. However, I'm not into hunting or heavy drinking, so I don't know whether that would make a visit there less interesting.

A couple of weeks ago, I spent a long weekend in the Davis Mtns area, which is also interesting, although (to me) it lacks the other-worldly charm of the Chisos Mtns. It is definitely worth a visit and the "Star Parties" at the McDonald Observatory there are worth taking in, in addition to hiking.
I could be extremely wrong but I think that area is part of the Sierra Madre Oriental. If there is one thing I wished for Texas to have is that the Sierra Madre Oriental extended into Texas. It stops just short of the Red River and it runs entirely in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 11:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I could be extremely wrong but I think that area is part of the Sierra Madre Oriental. If there is one thing I wished for Texas to have is that the Sierra Madre Oriental extended into Texas. It stops just short of the Red River and it runs entirely in Mexico.
You mean Rio Grande and not Red River.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You mean Rio Grande and not Red River.
Yeah that's what I meant. At the time I was had football on my mind.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Just my opinion of course, but I believe that the Big Bend area is just beautiful. I've lived in Houston for all of my life and just discovered Big Bend a couple of years ago. When I was a kid, we would often take driving trips out West, but we'd just head west on I-10 until we got to El Paso, then head North into New Mexico and then sometimes go on to Arizona, Utah, or Colorado. For some reason, we never went to Big Bend though.

Well, I was bored when I had a week off a couple of years ago and I thought I would try going somewhere new, not knowing what to expect. When I got to Big Bend, I was amazed by how beautiful and varied the scenery was. The different rock formations, desert mountains, and winding river with the strip of greenery around it were beautiful. I also loved the wild horses that I saw, the roadrunners, and different types of cacti.

Then there is Terlingua which has its own charm. The old ruins, old hippie/"free spirited"/artistic people, remoteness, and overall vibe of the small desert community were fascinating to me.

It's just my favorite part of Texas. I wonder how many people have spent their lives in the Texas triangle and have thought that the only scenic area of Texas is the Hill Country (not knocking the Hill Country of course, it is a very nice area). I think Big Bend is just one of those underrated places that a lot people don't really know about or think about.
I agree that the Big Bend region of the state is pretty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas