Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM

98 posts, read 318,174 times

Advertisements

We are currently from Illinois. Hubby is an electrician. We are considering moving. We want warmth! Are there jobs there for hubby? He is not union here. Currently does new residential (mansions, normal sized homes) remodels, services, some commercial. What is the job market like for him? Is this a good area for kids? We have 3 kids- 4, 3, 8 months. I homeschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 7 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Smile Welcome

You are always welcome in Texas. Can you be specific on where you'd like to move??

Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,291,512 times
^
I think she is looking for suggestions.
Any big city...Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, or Austin...
I get a funny feeling you would like San Antonio...sort of small town... Activities for kids (the claimed best water park in the Nation, Schilterbanh (sp), is said to be in Texas... I forget which one... new Braunfels or Galveston...) but yeah...

Old 05-28-2008, 08:39 AM

I am looking for any area that is good for my family in terms of hubby being able to find a job, good cost of living, etc.
tia

Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
All I could do is name some cities. Many of them are kid friendly. I live close to Austin. So that's what I'd recommend. But, there's also San Antonio, Dallas, etc...A friend of my husbands just quit his OTR truck driving job to become an electrician, but he lives somewhere between Austin and Houston.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:11 AM

Where is a good place ther eto look for a job? Good cost of living? etc
Thanks all!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
mommyjnny,

Most of the state offers good job potential and the cost of living here is reasonable. Unless you're more specific about your preferences, it's hard to make recommendations. For instance, people are recommending the metro areas but that might not be what you want. (I for one have never wanted to live in a big city or suburb of one!)

Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Yes, just asking about where a good place to get a job is....pretty much the entire state. Any of the cities, big or small offer good prospects for employment.

Do you like beaches? Would you prefer a hilly topogrophy? Desert? Mountain? Do you prefer moss draped oak trees? The topogrophy in Texas is different in different regions of the state.

Do you like towns and cities with a large ethnic diversity? There are towns and cities in Texas that are large in Spanish, Czech, German and Swiss ancestries. Austin and surrounding areas are rich in all four ethnicities. San Antonio and points south would be more heavily Mexican/Spanish/Latin.

Do you like a slower pace of life in the city or town you choose:Austin, San Antonio and points South may be a good choice. Houston and Dallas would be faster paced. Farther West Texas would also be more relaxed as far as pace of life.

Do you like a city with lots of outdoor type recreation or do you like things more in line with indoor activities, such as museums, art galleries, operas, music?

Just some points to ponder so we can offer more insight.

On cost of living...Austin is the most expensive city in Texas to reside unless you look outside of the central core into the suburbs and surrounding smaller towns.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:44 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,917 times
And the Beaumont area is rich in its cajun ethnicity.

Just a reminder of another!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:36 PM

True! You're right, After I wrote that, I realized I left out an entire region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas