Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 01:07 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ummm...and Houston is? Well, I guess that popularity is only in Houston. I’ve yet to meet a Houston Rockets fan in Dallas, who’s not from Houston. Let’s be real, the Mavs and the Rockets are only popular in their respective markets. No team in Texas is popular like the Cowboys. Houston doesn’t have one team that carries that amount of fans beyond state lines. Again, we have teams in every major league. If that’s not a sports town, then what is?
Cause your in Dallas duh! You can easily google this information and see Rockets are more popular and recognizable of a franchise than Mavs. Is Mavericks popular in their region or do they just exist there? Name me Mavericks most popular players and ask yourself if you really think their popular.

And let me make myself clear, I’m not a big Houston sports fan myself but having one huge franchise and a slew of other bad franchise teams doesn’t make you a sports town. Even Cowboys home games will have just as many away teams fanbase in their stadium if the team sucks.

I went to Jerrys world back in 2014 to watch my Niners beat the Cowboys and it was more Niners jersey than Cowboy jerseys. I can see just about any team jersey in DFW, can’t say the same for a city like STL where it’s mostly Cardinals and Blues.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Agreed on the sports stuff. At this point, Houston has more mainstream sports stars than DFW for sure. Only sport where this is not the case is football, but I bet JJ Watt is still a bigger name than any current Cowboy. Add in basketball and baseball, and it's no question who has the more popular names. There are kid baseball fans out there in Texas that can name the entire Astros lineup of the top of their head. Can't say the same for the Rangers, or the Mavs in basketball.

Gotta disagree with you on JJ being more popular than any cowboy playing right now. Zeke and Dak are probably more popular than JJ. I know they have some of the best selling jerseys on the league right now. Hell I think Hopkins and Watson are becoming just as popular as JJ is now.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:11 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Gotta disagree with you on JJ being more popular than any cowboy playing right now. Zeke and Dak are probably more popular than JJ. I know they have some of the best selling jerseys on the league right now. Hell I think Hopkins and Watson are becoming just as popular as JJ is now.
The JJ Watt era is certainly dying down, but if you were to take a photo of all 3 and show it to random people in the street (casual fans), I think most would recognize JJ Watt over Dak and Zeke. Jersey sales tell a story, but not the whole story. Khalil Mack had the second highest number of jersey sales last year but no way is he more popular than Zeke, JJ, or Dak. JuJu had more sales than Watt last year but Watt is still a more popular player.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The JJ Watt era is certainly dying down, but if you were to take a photo of all 3 and show it to random people in the street (casual fans), I think most would recognize JJ Watt over Dak and Zeke. Jersey sales tell a story, but not the whole story. Khalil Mack had the second highest number of jersey sales last year but no way is he more popular than Zeke, JJ, or Dak. JuJu had more sales than Watt last year but Watt is still a more popular player.
LOL no way. Maybe in Houston, but Zeke and Dak are all over the news nationally.

Zeke for the holdout, Dak for his impending contract. Both of them for playing for the Cowboys.

Khalil Mack is about as well known as JJ Watt, which is to say, nationally known if you follow the game, but only regionally very popular.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
LOL no way. Maybe in Houston, but Zeke and Dak are all over the news nationally.

Zeke for the holdout, Dak for his impending contract. Both of them for playing for the Cowboys.

Khalil Mack is about as well known as JJ Watt, which is to say, nationally known if you follow the game, but only regionally very popular.
That's simply not true. I mean even compare the amount of social media followers among them all. JJ Watt has the most out of all the players mentioned and 10x the amount of followers as Khalil Mack.

The only way anyone would know about the Zeke holdout or Dak contract is by following the game or watching DFW local news, so how can you say people only would know Watt because of following the game?

Let me ask you this, has Dak or Zeke every done something that made national news that didn't have to do with football, because JJ Watt has a couple... Also JJ Watt has been on multiple daytime talk shows (mainly female audience), cable news, more nationwide commercials, etc.

Don't be disrespectful!

Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Cause your in Dallas duh! You can easily google this information and see Rockets are more popular and recognizable of a franchise than Mavs. Is Mavericks popular in their region or do they just exist there? Name me Mavericks most popular players and ask yourself if you really think their popular.

And let me make myself clear, I’m not a big Houston sports fan myself but having one huge franchise and a slew of other bad franchise teams doesn’t make you a sports town. Even Cowboys home games will have just as many away teams fanbase in their stadium if the team sucks.

I went to Jerrys world back in 2014 to watch my Niners beat the Cowboys and it was more Niners jersey than Cowboy jerseys. I can see just about any team jersey in DFW, can’t say the same for a city like STL where it’s mostly Cardinals and Blues.
You just missed my point. I never said that the Mavs is a very popular sports franchise at a national level. I’m saying the Rockets and the Mavs are only mostly relevant within their market. Period. The Mavs are popular enough (within their market) in Dallas to have sold out every home game since 2001. The Rockets do not have a Lakers-type popularity within Texas....neither does the Mavs. That why I said I’ve never seen a Rockets fan that’s not from Houston. If the Rockets are that much more popular, they should have a larger following outside of their market. Especially, within the same state.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You just missed my point. I never said that the Mavs is a very popular sports franchise at a national level. I’m saying the Rockets and the Mavs are only mostly relevant within their market. Period. The Mavs are popular enough (within their market) in Dallas to have sold out every home game since 2001. The Rockets do not have a Lakers-type popularity within Texas....neither does the Mavs. That why I said I’ve never seen a Rockets fan that’s not from Houston. If the Rockets are that much more popular, they should have a larger following outside of their market. Especially, within the same state.
Rockets are one of the most popular teams in the league and that’s a fact. A top 10 popular team, Mavs is not. Rockets share the same market with 2 other teams. Spurs being the other one that’s more popular than Mavs as well. Mavericks is simply #3 in terms of popularity. Since the rise of GSW, Lakers doesn’t even have the stronghold like it use to do. It’s real simple when it comes to the NBA, the more star players you have or wins you have, the more popular you are. Your really downplaying Rockets fanbase as if you haven’t seen Harden or Chris Paul all on State Farm or any other commercial that adds to Rockets lore.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
The main point is who's more popular outside their market both domestically (especially within Texas) and internationally. Without question, that's the Rockets over the Mavs. There's more star power, more national games, more commercials, millions more social media followers, etc.

By the way there is no team that has Lakers/Celtics-type popularity except for the Warriors, but this is very recent (last five years). Warriors fans currently are like Heat fans from '10-'14.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:23 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
And we’re back to the Dallas/Houston pissing match that I knew this thread would turn into.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:24 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Rockets are one of the most popular teams in the league and that’s a fact. A top 10 popular team, Mavs is not. Rockets share the same market with 2 other teams. Spurs being the other one that’s more popular than Mavs as well. Mavericks is simply #3 in terms of popularity. Since the rise of GSW, Lakers doesn’t even have the stronghold like it use to do. It’s real simple when it comes to the NBA, the more star players you have or wins you have, the more popular you are. Your really downplaying Rockets fanbase as if you haven’t seen Harden or Chris Paul all on State Farm or any other commercial that adds to Rockets lore.
Hate to break it to you Chris Paul is in OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas