Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 01:14 PM

9,963 posts, read 6,677,955 times

Advertisements

If we are going to stereotype Houston and Dallas based on fashion, it’s not one that dresses nicer, it’s two different styles. Dallas is more known for dressing preppier while Houston is known for dressing urban. How that translates to dressing nicer on city data, I have no clue. I guess urban fashion is a newer thing than preppy fashion is, but urban fashion is a lot trendier than preppy fashion is and it’s becoming more and more that way. Now if we are going to be honest, both cities are a mix of both. But if we stereotype, that’s definitely the difference. You see it in the designers. Dallas is home to Forty Five Ten, Houston is home to Johnny Dang.

What I want to know is where the idea that white apparel is considered nicer. It’s 2020, if anything, this has flipped by now. And as I’ve stated, these are just stereotypes. Dallas has a very large minority population as well, they are just less known for it. Dallas excels in urban apparel depending where you’re at as well. If you’re in an affluent white neighborhood in Houston, they’ll dress preppy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 02:30 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,125,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
By that logic, wouldn't most major cities feel 'weird'? I'm just not sure I see why Austin seems to stand alone as being a weird city, when it's pretty comparable to a lot of other major cities (especially Houston and Dallas).

This is the stereotype, but anyone who has spent even just a little time in Dallas would know it's home to a lot of different things.

For example, if I lived in the Cedars, East Dallas, or Oak Cliff I would think Dallas and then visited West 6th or the Domain I would think Dallas would be the weird/hip city and Austin would be home to the 40k millionaires.
Save yourself the energy. Gaylord is a troll. If you don't want to see his posts, there is the ignore list.

Old 06-06-2020, 04:45 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,620,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If we are going to stereotype Houston and Dallas based on fashion, it’s not one that dresses nicer, it’s two different styles. Dallas is more known for dressing preppier while Houston is known for dressing urban. How that translates to dressing nicer on city data, I have no clue. I guess urban fashion is a newer thing than preppy fashion is, but urban fashion is a lot trendier than preppy fashion is and it’s becoming more and more that way. Now if we are going to be honest, both cities are a mix of both. But if we stereotype, that’s definitely the difference. You see it in the designers. Dallas is home to Forty Five Ten, Houston is home to Johnny Dang.

What I want to know is where the idea that white apparel is considered nicer. It’s 2020, if anything, this has flipped by now. And as I’ve stated, these are just stereotypes. Dallas has a very large minority population as well, they are just less known for it. Dallas excels in urban apparel depending where you’re at as well. If you’re in an affluent white neighborhood in Houston, they’ll dress preppy as well.
They seem too demographically similar to have a huge difference in fashion.

I find that fashion is mostly based on race, though not entirely.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
They seem too demographically similar to have a huge difference in fashion.

I find that fashion is mostly based on race, though not entirely.
I completely agree here. Houston is more known for its diversity and Dallas is, where the perception comes in.

When you take your trip to Dallas, I hope you go to the ethnic areas they have to offer. People don't think of Dallas as the cultural hub that Houston is, but there's plenty to offer there. This perception majorly differs reality. Unless you base your entire stay in Uptown, University Park, Highland, etc then you should see plenty of cultural attractions. Despite preferring Houston, I like Dallas and think it should be showcased for what it really is.

You're right about fashion and the race factor, but to get more specific, it's different cultures that have different fashion. Different cultures within each ethnicity will have their own sense of style. The perception is Houston is urban and Dallas is preppier. But the reality is both are a mix. And obviously the OP is very uncultured if he views preppy dressing as the gold standard.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:40 AM

12,909 posts, read 9,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Save yourself the energy. Gaylord is a troll. If you don't want to see his posts, there is the ignore list.
But yet you've followed me around for the last 5 years?

Old 06-08-2020, 10:43 AM

12,909 posts, read 9,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
By that logic, wouldn't most major cities feel 'weird'? I'm just not sure I see why Austin seems to stand alone as being a weird city, when it's pretty comparable to a lot of other major cities (especially Houston and Dallas).

This is the stereotype, but anyone who has spent even just a little time in Dallas would know it's home to a lot of different things.

For example, if I lived in the Cedars, East Dallas, or Oak Cliff I would think Dallas and then visited West 6th or the Domain I would think Dallas would be the weird/hip city and Austin would be home to the 40k millionaires.
Actually you can't be a 40k millionaire while living in the Domain.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:08 PM

577 posts, read 459,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Doesn't stop them from hanging out there.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
40K millionaires live in less expensive areas to substitute everything else they’re spending on. Alief is full of them.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:04 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,471,815 times
I still don't see how people can spot a "40,000" dollar millionaire....do people wear their bank statements on their foreheads along with the leases to their rented BMW?

Old 06-08-2020, 05:29 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,284,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
When I went to Plano and Frisco, I was amazed at how upscale it was. The Legacy and Frisco Station were booming with high end shops and high rise condos, for one. There were also a lot of luxury cars, and people seemed to be very well-dressed and slim.

The level of image-consciousness was almost as high that of my hometown of Orange County, California. That is quite remarkable, given that DFW is an inland city, while Orange County is coastal, and inland cities tend to be a bit less hip than their coastal counterparts. I don't know, maybe it's all the California transplants flooding Collin County in droves!

By contrast, Houston seems more low key, as do other Gulf Cities. New Orleans may be known for the debauchery of Mardi Gras, but drive across the Causeway and you'll find St. Tammany Parish--a quiet, conservative area that is worlds away from the chaos of New Orleans. St. Tammany Parish is well to do, but it's also quite low key. People weren't as fashionably dressed as they were in SoCal or Plano. Or, for that matter, the suburbs of Sacramento, California.

It seems as if the Gulf Coast has this laid back, down to earth vibe. I haven't been to Florida, but supposedly the Panhandle is the "Redneck Riviera" that stands in stark contrast to status-obsessed Southern Florida.

Frisco ..... maybe, yes, kind of but Plano? I mean sure if you only visit the Legacy West area but overall I'm not sure I agree with your assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas