Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:31 AM
su1 su1 started this thread

5 posts, read 6,959 times

Advertisements

My husband has got a job offer involving travel.We have decided to relocate to Texas.We are a family of four with two school going children.I am unable to decide which city to move to- Plano,Austin,Dallas,Houston or any other city with good schools,reasonable rent ,safety and few Indian families.We have heard good things about all cites which makes it even tougher to decide.
Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by su1 View Post
My husband has got a job offer involving travel.We have decided to relocate to Texas.We are a family of four with two school going children.I am unable to decide which city to move to- Plano,Austin,Dallas,Houston or any other city with good schools,reasonable rent ,safety and few Indian families.We have heard good things about all cites which makes it even tougher to decide.
Any help is appreciated.
Just to clarify, you said "few Indian familes". Did you mean you want to find places with other Indian familes as well?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Any help is appreciated.
If Houston is your choice this may be helpful

New to Houston Indian Community

Old 02-25-2015, 12:01 PM

yes, I meant looking for neighborhood with Indian families

Old 02-25-2015, 12:35 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Any help is appreciated.
You'll need to define what "reasonable rent" is.

Regarding Plano/Dallas, Neighborhoods that flow into Plano West High School (& it's feeders) will have a high percentage of Indian families.

Regarding Austin, neighborhoods that flow into Westwood High School (& it's feeders) will have a high percentage of Indian families.

Both areas are very nice, safe, suburban areas with LOTS of tech jobs nearby. Both schools probably have 15-20% Indian kids (& another 15-20% East Asian). Westwood & Plano West are two of the best non-charter public schools (I believe both are in the Top 10) in the country. Their feeder schools are of course very good as well. I know many kids who attend both HS.

I'm not familiar with what the equivalent School or Schools in Houston would be. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Tell us what reasonable rent is to you..... or if you are looking for a less competitive academic environment.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
yes, I meant looking for neighborhood with Indian families
The largest concentration of Indians in Texas is the suburbs North of Dallas (not Dallas itself). They are scattered in Plano, Frisco, Irving, Carrollton, and Richardson. The single largest concentration among a single city is Sugar Land southwest of Houston with Irving Northwest of Dallas being a close second. The city with the sinlge largest number of Indians is Houston, but thats because the city is so huge.

I would narrow my search to the following areas, if I was looking to live around a large Indian community:

1) Valley Ranch, Irving - This is the sinlge largest concentration of Indians of any neighborhood in the state. The downside is the schools are not as good.
2) Telfair, Sugar Land - Like Valley Ranch and almost on the same scale. The Indian community is very affluent here.
3) Russell Creek, Plano - This area is almost as big as the first two in terms of Indian population, but the schools are far superior. The Indian community is also very affluent here.
4) Coppell - The fastest growing in terms of Indian population by concentration with superior schools, but the Indian community is not as established. Its more of a work in progress.
5) West/Southwest Houston - This is the site of the most established Indian community in the state. But the schools are horrible unless you go for private schools.
6) Castle Hills, Lewisville - This is the site of an exceptionally affluent Indian community in the state. Schools are excellent as well. Like Coppell, its not as established yet.

I would rule out the city of Dallas and the Austin area. The Indian community in the Dallas area isnt in Dallas (but in the suburbs above) and Austin doesnt offer nearly as many ammenities to an Indian family as the Dallas or Houston suburbs. Austin is an awesome city, but it wouldnt be my top choice here.

My honest verdict would be to look at the Dallas area simply because the community is larger and growing faster, but you cant go wrong with Houston.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your quick response.
I am definitely looking for a good school district.I am not sure about the rent, $1200 for a 2br,maybe?
You guys are doing a great job helping alleviate confusion of people like me!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your quick response.
I am definitely looking for a good school district.I am not sure about the rent, $1200 for a 2br,maybe?
You guys are doing a great job helping alleviate confusion of people like me!
Kids attend schools, not districts. You'll need dig down on the "school tracks" or "feeder patterns" (not sure what the proper term is). You might find a Superlative school track & also an average (or below average) school track within the same district.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Kids attend schools, not districts. You'll need dig down on the "school tracks" or "feeder patterns". You might find a Superlative school track & an average (or below average) school track within the same district.

Yes, I do understand this and wanted to clarify that kid's education is one of my top priority and this is partially the reason we are shifting from California to Texas.
Plano West High School has a rating of 4/10 so definitely ruled out.

Last edited by su1; 02-25-2015 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 01:45 PM

wow. I don't know what to say. It's always been my understanding that Highland Park & Plano West are the two most challenging schools in the Metroplex. (Highest average SAT scores, highest AP test scores, highest number of Ivy acceptances etc.)

Last time I looked at one of those US News & Newsweek rankings, all of the usual suspects: Highland Park, Plano West & Southlake (in the metroplex) along with Westwood & Westlake (in Austin) were all in the Top 100 Public (non charter) HS in the country.

Maybe someone from Dallas can comment. I know that there were hundreds of Indian brainiacs going to PW....did they all move or graduate?

Sounds to me like GreatSchools might be broken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas