Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,122 times

Advertisements

My family and I have decided we are ready to make the move to Texas. My husband has been itching to move there for many years now and I have finally had enough of the cold and dry air in Colorado. Narrowing down where to live is very tricky though so I'd love suggestions! Here's what we need/are looking for:

We'd like to be on as much land as possible but a minimum of 5 acres.

We have two kiddos and one on the way. I homeschool them so I don't need a school right there per say but I would like to be near activities for them, (sports, acting/plays, dance, etc.)

I know tornadoes are a fact of life in Texas but an area that is a little more protected would be preferable.

I do not want to deal with flooding or hurricanes.

Also just looking for a safe area.

Our budget is $450k if the land includes a house or $175k if it is just land. We love the towns of Hutto, Ennis and Bee Cave but all of those seem outside our price range for getting land so something in those general areas would be good but open to advice.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Last edited by LoneStarAtHeart; 02-10-2021 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 10:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,401,740 times
254 counties, probably 3000+ municipalities, 830 miles east to west, 860 miles north to south. Cities from DFW at 7.5 million in the metro area to Orla with population 2.

You're going to have to tell people a little more about what you're looking for to get any kind of meaningful response.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:16 AM

11,882 posts, read 26,979,002 times
Will you or your husband need to work? If so, you'd be wise to find a job first before moving here. That will help you narrow down where you'll want to live.

Tornadoes are actually quite rare. The likelihood of your home getting hit by one is very low. It's really not consideration when choosing where to live. This would be like a Texan saying that they didn't want to live in Colorado because they are afraid of avalanches.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Will you or your husband need to work? If so, you'd be wise to find a job first before moving here. That will help you narrow down where you'll want to live.

Tornadoes are actually quite rare. The likelihood of your home getting hit by one is very low. It's really not consideration when choosing where to live. This would be like a Texan saying that they didn't want to live in Colorado because they are afraid of avalanches.
Good to know, thank you! I work for my company remotely so I can be anywhere. My husband works in maintenance so I'm hopeful he'll have a good amount of option.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:28 PM

8,300 posts, read 5,744,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarAtHeart View Post
Good to know, thank you! I work for my company remotely so I can be anywhere. My husband works in maintenance so I'm hopeful he'll have a good amount of option.
Hi LoneStarAtHeart.

Texas is a huge state in land area, with cities and metros areas of varying sizes/cultures.

To help us with suggesting areas that may be a good fit for you and your family, could you please provide more information about some of the things you would like to have in your desired location?

*Proximity to amenities (shopping, restaurants, museums, airport, etc.)
*Scenery (I.E. would you prefer the heavily forested parts of east Texas, Texas hill country, etc.)
*Demographics (I.E. is diversity important for you, political leanings, etc.)

etc.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:29 PM

5,647 posts, read 4,987,631 times
Most parts of Texas will have localized flood risk - ALWAYS check floodplain information. That said, SE Texas (Houston area) will have higher risk of flood frequency and have more flood-risk locations generally. If you're avoiding hurricanes, at least "full strength" hurricanes, stay at least 100 miles from the coast.

For more affordable land / home values, (1) stay away from the Hill Country and (2) consider being near smaller metros (Tyler, College Station - Bryan, Waco etc.).

Old 02-10-2021, 04:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,035,507 times
If your main thing is wanting to be on land, I would second the above comment and look for a place near a small city. For land near one of the large cities it is going to be too expensive and/or too far out to commute.

But, outside of Fort Worth might work too.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:34 PM

12 posts, read 8,341 times
Hi,
We are moving from Colorado to Texas alsoWe just bought a house in West Texas(Canyon) on almost 4 acres for 330 k.We checked the area before and it is pretty nice small town close to Amarillo.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:02 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,104,237 times
Near Tyler for many reasons. Check Tyler Sub-Forum. Smallest metro by far with its on Texas Sub-Forum. Why? Enough interest in the Tyler General Texas Section of the forum needed a sub-forum created.

Much of Tyler is beautiful, wooded, vegetation when using the state of Texas as your comparison. MAJOR medical options for a city Tylers size. Great shopping, restaurants for a city its size. Much more. A great small zoo, major performing arts at U.T. Tyler Cowan Center, surprisingly nice regional symphony orchestra, 1 1/2 hour to DFW for your major metro "fix".

https://www.tylertexasonline.com/tyl...ldwell-zoo.htm

https://cowancenter.org/

https://visittyler.com/etso/

Last edited by Mark Senior; 02-15-2021 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 11:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,339,441 times
Boerne, Helotes, Bulverde region, NW of San Antonio. (Lots of Maint jobs in nearby medical district, Commercial (Cantera / Six Flags), and UTSA) Very 'family friendly' and good school (extra curricular) and Homeschool resources + easy escape to where many in Texas come to vacation. (<1 hr away vs 4-6 hrs away for many)

Moving to TX from CO
If you can't beat them, join 'em... Texans had overrun Colorado in the 1970's, thus we were gone from CO by 1980. (Not by free choice)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas