Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 09:18 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,146,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
@Thoreau424

I just want to tell you from the bottom of my rich and deeply Texan heart how much I am impressed by the ways you think ! You are indeed a pearl of wisdom.
Thanks Bob! I really appreciate that! I love Texas, and love the strong thinking and "living large" that true Texans show. I'll have to admit that I moved elsewhere for awhile, and it only opened my eyes even more to the treasures of my native state. Have a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 09:25 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Maybe back 50-60 years ago when Earl Campbell, Billy Sims, Matthew McConaughey and Forest Whittaker were born there. Forrest's family did move to California when he was a kid but things have improved. Remember Patrick Mahomes is from the Tyler area and his dad played MLB and easily could have moved but stayed.

Last edited by walker1962; 08-12-2021 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-12-2021, 02:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Maybe back 50-60 years ago when Earl Campbell, Billy Sims, Matthew McConaughey and Forest Whittaker were born there. Forrest's family did move to California when he was a kid but things have improved. Remember Patrick Mahomes is from the Tyler area and his dad played MLB and easily could have moved but stayed.

Mahomes is awesome....he is the future of NFL QBs.

An honored alum of my Alma Mater. #gunsup

Old 08-12-2021, 07:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Yerp. (Spit.) That thar's me - third world.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:02 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Congrats on your move! At least tell us you'll be at Grapefest this year lol. Berlin and Asia are headlining. As a Gen Xer, i would go in a second if I could!

Thanks for posting this. I haven't seen Berlin live since the mid 90s, and I haven't seen Asia live since the 80s. I'm going to try to go.

Old 08-18-2021, 10:36 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
And let's not forget that towns like Jasper and Vidor are located in that region too, with a notoriety of dated thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Please, someone with your learned background and deep insight please expound on this statement for there is nothing of substance in this other than the name of 2 towns.
I'll chime in. Can't speak for Jasper. I met a couple of people from there and all I can say is the impression I get is the lifestyle is as quick as molasses.

I've spent a lot of time from Beaumont to Sabine Pass though. I don't really consider Vidor, Orange or any of that region "East Texas". It is deep Southeast TX which is a totally different animal, like SW Louisiana West. I'd say "East Texas" starts around Silsbee or Kountze, with Lumberton being kind of a border area receiving white flight from Beaumont.

Believe it or not some of the nicest people I've ever met were from Vidor. But let's not kid ourselves... there are a lot of total dumbasses out there, too-- bad enough they're the #1 laughingstock for all the natives who live in the surrounding podunk towns. And yes, there is a lot of very dated thinking in the Golden Triangle, but it is with an odd mix of very progressive thinking too. It's why that whole region is a SNAFU.

As far as the real East Texas goes... I really like it. It is nothing close to the 3rd world. I've thought about buying a little 2 bedroom fixer-upper on 3-4 acres when the kids are grown. Yes, even with all the stories of meth, incest, outlaw hideaways, and the pervasive mentality of "don't be too sharp or too quick if you know what's good for you". Looks cheap & peaceful, and after you secure your place it seems like the biggest issues are a 90' tree falling on your house from severe weather, and flooding.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:18 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,630,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
I'll chime in. Can't speak for Jasper. I met a couple of people from there and all I can say is the impression I get is the lifestyle is as quick as molasses.
Nice of you to chime in but really trying to get Thoreau's meanings to his statements. I just hate to see hit and runs!

I will try to address your post with my thoughts on it though.

On Jasper, I really like Jasper but I spend a considerable amount of time at Lake Sam Rayburn . . . fishing in a mostly quick as molasses style. Lifestyle choices are in direct correlation to happiness in many. I've lived in a few regions of the US including New England (Maine), Fla., and the E. Tenn. hills (still own 80 ac. NE of Sevierville). Never lived west of where I live now but my dad did live in Alaska for 22 years so I have a handle on life there. Not really sure of what the meaning or the undercurrent of your statement "lifestyle is as quick as molasses" is. Negative or positive connotation?

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time from Beaumont to Sabine Pass though. I don't really consider Vidor, Orange or any of that region "East Texas". It is deep Southeast TX which is a totally different animal, like SW Louisiana West. I'd say "East Texas" starts around Silsbee or Kountze, with Lumberton being kind of a border area receiving white flight from Beaumont.
I said this in the start of this thread. This region around Beaumont is not "East Texas" per se. I agree with the premise of this part of your post. I have lived in this SE part of Texas much of my life (30 of 67 years) with a considerable part of time in Port Neches (moved the last time from there in 1996 and wouldn't return). My mother, maternal grandparents , and a sister is buried there.

Quote:
Believe it or not some of the nicest people I've ever met were from Vidor. But let's not kid ourselves... there are a lot of total dumbasses out there, too-- bad enough they're the #1 laughingstock for all the natives who live in the surrounding podunk towns. And yes, there is a lot of very dated thinking in the Golden Triangle, but it is with an odd mix of very progressive thinking too. It's why that whole region is a SNAFU.
A lot of total dumbasses everywhere. I'm not taking up for Vidor. It's just a mixture of "country" people and a bedroom community that is supported by industry around Orange and Beaumont/Port Arthur and probably to an extent the Sulphur/Lake Charles industries. I've known plenty of folks from there and can't find a discernible regional character flaw despite the dumbassity you mentioned above. It can be trashy visually so I guess that's a flaw but not unique.

Quote:
As far as the real East Texas goes... I really like it. It is nothing close to the 3rd world. I've thought about buying a little 2 bedroom fixer-upper on 3-4 acres when the kids are grown. Yes, even with all the stories of meth, incest, outlaw hideaways, and the pervasive mentality of "don't be too sharp or too quick if you know what's good for you". Looks cheap & peaceful, and after you secure your place it seems like the biggest issues are a 90' tree falling on your house from severe weather, and flooding.
A lot of the "stories" you mention are old history, urban lore, and some have little to no basis. Do I know the "bad areas" in my county? Sure I do but I also know the "bad" areas in Houston and even some in DFW. My thoughts are that Thoreau is dancing around certain racial stories on Jasper and Vidor.

Meth can be an issue I guess. Most meth in the US is coming from Mexico and of the higher use states 6 of 10 are northern tier states along with California. (https://www.banyantreatmentcenter.co...s-palmsprings/) Michigan and NY are #1 and #2. Meth issues are really non existent for the most part. That "meth lab" cooking is so "Breaking Bad" and so 2008.

FTR states with the highest incidence of incest: (Texas not in the top 20) Maybe E Tx is different????

Washington
Oregon
Montana
South Dakota
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Louisiana
Indiana
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Maryland
Delaware
Maine

Outlaws? Rilly? --- Easiest places for an outlaw to hide out is an area of high population density and that's not E. Tx.. Seriously . The Big Thicket was an outlaw hideout . . . in the 1800's.

Ha ha ha ... "too sharp, too quick" Really makes me giggle. Hard to respond. I'm a retired (07/2020) neuro trauma RN for 30 years. At what point should I dull my point? Almost everyone I know respects high functioning/intelligent folks.

I love living here as I've said. My biggest complaint is weather related, the humidity, and my tolerances are diminishing. My electric power can be spotty in bad weather but I am the last meter on a long leg that travels 6 miles through towering timber. You gotta cut any risky trees around your dwelling(s).

What are you "securing your place" from?

I think if you adjust your preconceptions you might fit in in here in East Texas.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
No. SOMEparts of east Texas are backwoods, poor, racist, and stuck in the past, but absolutely none of it is 3rd world.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:08 PM

27 posts, read 126,878 times
Default Sulphur Springs

We moved to Sulphur Springs in Dec. after living in Dallas/Irving for 15 years. The people are kind, it has any type of food you could want, and the service is better than in the city. People take pride in their houses.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:13 AM

1,952 posts, read 828,149 times
Many people think East Texas is Jasper and Vidor.

Just as many think conservative voters all watch Fox and follow Q-Anon.

It is simply not true. The world is just not that simple, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas