Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstar721 View Post
let me tell you some thing (too the people who be dis'in on the valley !)
the valley is pretty the bomb (that means good) and i wouldnt trade it in for any thing in the world
i am 17 years young lol (that means laught out loud) and i am born in raised here in the valley (Mcallen)
it has been in incredibliy awesome i swear youll meet the most nice's people here and there is alot of personality !
but the only thing i wish for is that mcallen's downtown had more skyscrapers ! & fix up the ghetto looking side of Mcallen !!!
Basiclly all im saying is the valley is awesome with the best weather beaches & people
and in case the city of Mcallen is reading this
Would it kill you too fix up South Mcallen a little & more skyscrapers please
thank you very much have a nice day (:
Investors propose destination theme park, retail development off Expressway 83 in McAllen | mcallen, park, destination - TheMonitor.com (http://www.themonitor.com/articles/mcallen-54097-park-destination.html - broken link)

Mexican investors plan to build 22-story tower in McAllen | plan, story, build - TheMonitor.com (http://www.themonitor.com/news/plan-56908-story-build.html - broken link)

hope yall enjoy them muah♥
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,329 times
I lived in McAllen for 4 years. I had to leave in july of 2013 because of family and health reasons. I moved to Austin, Tx. Austin is a unique city. However, I miss the valley. I hope to return there someday. The people are wonderful. The winters are very mild. It is inexpensive to live there. The church is alive there. There is very little crime compared to Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc.. Yes, there is a lot of public corruption. The valley is not perfect. But believe me neither is Austin. I am a 62 year old retiree. I love Texas. And in my opinion the Valley is more Texas , than Austin, Houston, or Dallas. One last thing. The RGV is getting better. The bigger cities in Texas are becoming less and less livable every day. Austin, Dallas, Houston are becoming more congested, more polluted, more corrupt, more expensive, less friendly, more crime ridden, etc., at an alarming rate.

Last edited by Ricky the retiree; 06-27-2015 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: to add a comment

Old 06-27-2015, 11:24 PM

13 posts, read 19,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native to CO View Post
hello people of the rio grande valley,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some perspective on Edinburg? How is the town, the environment? I am thinking of moving from Denver, CO to work at the Edinburg Children's Hospital. Anyone know anything about the hospital? How they treat their RNs? And also, how far would it be to commute from south padre island area? Thanks in advance!

p.s. Oh and how safe is if for a SWF that doesn't speak spanish?
Are you working the regular peds or the PICU? I know a few people that work in the Peds floor and from what Ive heard the ratio runs a little high at times up to 7:1 and I was once told the stays are very short so they have a constant turnover of patients . They slow down a lot in the summer so be prepared to be put on call. I work on the Adults side of the hospital, it is a small hospital and like most of the RGV are chronically understaffed (or is that everywhere? lol) However, it is not horrible and the management at least is trying. I moved down here as a new grad last year and was shocked to find out new grads were hired into almost every unit due to being such a shortage of nurses. Ive been here a year and it seems we have always had travel nurses on our unit. The area around the hospital is growing rapidly, DHR ( a large hospital in the area) is right down the street, and what seems like some of the nicest areas I've seen down here. The RGV is kind of slow living, not much to do. Have you ever been down here? It's not the nicest area but Edinburg and McAllen certainly seem to be the "nicer" areas.

As far as not speaking Spanish, you would definitely be the minority as the majority of people down here are of Mexican decent, if you are ok with that then you shouldn't have any issues. As far as being safe, I have never felt unsafe? I always hear how bad the RGV is but I have never witnessed anything or felt unsafe.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,104 times
You can definitely tell on here who is from the valley and who isn't. This is a very small town regardless of what some may say here. Obviously they've never been in suburbs of a real city. The RGV is small town. Moved here a few years ago for work. Worst mistake of my life and now we will be leaving soon which can't happen fast enough. It's 2015 and this thread is from 2011. Goes to show how little actually changes. Beaches are not that great compared to those in California and Florida where they are way better and the economy and housing is low here because it's the poorest place in the US with the worst real estate development (construction) I have ever seen and the schools are absolutely horrible. You'll pay about $140,000 for a house that won't last a year while your kids go to school and receive a low grade education. Let's not get started on the corruption and work ethic in the RGV because we will be here all day. Point blank, don't move here unless it's a vacation home.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,104 times
Default For proof

Anyone with a brain can simply visit the websites of the news stations here in the RGV and see for themselves just how bad this place really is. KRGV, the Monitor or any simple google search will show you the reality of living here before you come. For anyone to say they haven't seen anything just proves the level of ignorance that is down here. There are high speed chases on HWY 83 and other side roads daily and they are mostly from drug smuggling or alien smuggling criminal organizations. There are a high number of home invasions. My friends house was robbed while she was not home. They kicked in her front door and took clothes and some other items, most likely sold at the trash flea market they have in one of the towns here. Never caught the guy by the way. Even though it was broad day light and people were walking around in the neighborhood. There are no "nice" parts in the valley. You simply have to settled for better than what is then born here. This is the truth. Most of you valley people may not like what I have to say but it is the truth so stop lying to these people. Thank you.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
If this thread was a person, it would be starting fourth grade in a few weeks.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
I try to find more good than bad here as I am unable to leave just yet but damn, people here as a whole make it so hard! New York's got nothin on rude people compared to the RGV and talk about ethnocentrism. There is only one way of life here either accept it or get out... I'm just not down with that. Praying for the ability to move soon and give my children more of a chance to see life far from here. Beach is awesome here, that's about it.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:31 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Well.. Life expectancy rate is the highest in the rio grande valley and higher than most other states from what studies have shown. Im sure the low paced lifestyle and warm climate has positive effects on a person's health

Old 03-17-2017, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,718 times
The valley is a dump!

Old 03-17-2017, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,718 times
Run away from the valley as quick as you can, and don't look back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas