Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 04:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,779,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
Well I think that might be impossible because I think we might have a constitutional amendment now that forbids a state income tax if I am remembering correctly.
I remembered voting on this now that you mention it. They had it worded in a tricky way to try and fool people. The politicians thought most voters either wouldn't bother to pay that much attention to the wording or more than likely they thought voters were just too dumb to catch it and would naturally vote no (as in against) if they didn't want the tax.

Guess those politicians aren't as smart as they like to think they are.

We had already had a similar tactic pulled in my county a few years earlier pulling the same stunt. It was in regards to allowing the city to annex quite a bit of property and yep, same thing. You had to vote yes to it and even knowing that actually meant no, it still gave you pause for thought

Such tricky little dicks they are.

https://ballotpedia.org/Texas_Propos...mendment_(2019)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 08:39 PM

754 posts, read 411,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I remembered voting on this now that you mention it. They had it worded in a tricky way to try and fool people. The politicians thought most voters either wouldn't bother to pay that much attention to the wording or more than likely they thought voters were just too dumb to catch it and would naturally vote no (as in against) if they didn't want the tax.

Guess those politicians aren't as smart as they like to think they are.

We had already had a similar tactic pulled in my county a few years earlier pulling the same stunt. It was in regards to allowing the city to annex quite a bit of property and yep, same thing. You had to vote yes to it and even knowing that actually meant no, it still gave you pause for thought

Such tricky little dicks they are.

https://ballotpedia.org/Texas_Propos...mendment_(2019)
Ya I remember that they worded it differently to fool people.I had to pay close attention to vote against a consitutional ammendent.However I think i may retire elsewhere due to property taxes.I dont benefit from no income taxes in Texas because I dont make much.I sort of wish we had a state income tax here but it would never work anyways because we would have high property and income taxes.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:07 AM

392 posts, read 318,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't remember when it was 5%. When was it 5%? I know it was 10% back in 1996.
Before 1998

See
TAX CODE Section 23.23

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1039, Sec. 47, eff. Jan. 1, 1998. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1173, Sec. 9, eff. Jan. 1, 2004.

Last edited by Sugarlandbubba; 09-13-2022 at 06:25 AM..

Old 09-13-2022, 08:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
Before 1998

See
TAX CODE Section 23.23

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1039, Sec. 47, eff. Jan. 1, 1998. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1173, Sec. 9, eff. Jan. 1, 2004.
I stand corrected. Memory off a bit. Late 1996 is when I bought my first house, 1998 would have been the first year I had to deal with tax appraisal increase.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:24 AM

2,021 posts, read 3,530,597 times
Stop voting for every bond election that comes along. People vote for every. single. one. Then complain that property taxes keep going up.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:19 AM

754 posts, read 411,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Stop voting for every bond election that comes along. People vote for every. single. one. Then complain that property taxes keep going up.
Ya I vote against every bond of any kind when it gets on the ballot where I live.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:01 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Too many people see bonds as "free money", only look at the stuff they GET and don't seem to understand that you have to pay for it. Or they think it will be 'someone else" that has to pay for it.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:28 PM

33 posts, read 20,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
Sure the state can change the valuation laws and related tax reliefs. Who has made the changes to the Texas Tax Codes? The STATE!

Do you remember when the maximum annual assessment increased was capped at 5%? Now, it's capped to 10%. It was a change in the Tax Codes.
This is correct

Old 09-13-2022, 01:41 PM

33 posts, read 20,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
1. They are called roughnecks, not rednecks.

2. Totally not true. My husband is oil and gas and his company manufactures a tool for oil and gas rigs. They can't keep up with the demand.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Majority of the rigs are just rebuilt, refurbished, upgraded etc. The oilfield is doing good but not great. It’s being hampered by a limited number of drilling permits being issued and a serious lack of labor. It’s not the most attractive line of work it once was. Hourly pay is not that great anymore, they just want people to work longer hitches and more overtime. But for less hourly. It actually paid better in the past. Most of the workers are coming out of the El Paso and Valley Regions. With some being flown in from the slow Oil Sands Region in Alberta up in Canada for long hitches. Don’t be surprised if it starts slowing down over the next year. Oil prices are currently down in the $80’s from being over $100 not that long ago. And with a recession starting too set in, along with the labor issues that are getting worse. A lot of investors are starting to pull back on a lot of projects. Born and raised in the Permian Basin, a lot of friends and some family that work oilfield.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:58 PM

15,514 posts, read 7,546,110 times
Quote:
Yes, it was called Robin Hood. Rather than send the money back, schools would pull up perfectly good carpeting, etc., anything to spend the money in order to keep from sending it back and losing it.
That's not How Robinhood, or Chapter 42 to give it the legal name, worked. There were calculations based on tax base and number of students. If the Amount of tax base per student exceeded a certain amount, the school district had to send money to the State general fund. ISD budgets had nothing to do with it. In fact Houston ISD had to reduce expenditures to send money to the State, which caused actual harm to lower SES students. Austin ISD was sending $500 million per year to the State.

Quote:
It will never happen. State income tax would just be an added tax no matter if the politicians promised differently. They promise a lot of things. Remember when they promised if Texans would pass the lottery the profits would go to our schools, reducing our school property taxes?

It really doesn't matter how much revenue the government (from the federal down to state, to county/city) brings in through taxation, it will never be enough. There is no sense going into the greed, corruption and obnoxious waste we all know exists in our government and throwing more money at it sure isn't the answer.
Using the lottery for education just meant the Legislature didn't have to come up with as many tax dollars for education. Education spending did not increase.

If Texas had an income tax, then people whose income dropped would have a lower tax bill than they do now. Of course Dan Patrick and his ilk think that high earning people shouldn't have to pay more taxes because that would reduce the amount available for political donations, so we have a high property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas