Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM

4,704 posts, read 4,042,723 times

Advertisements

I wanted to thank everyone again for their responses. The information provided has been very helpful.

And at the risk of being repetitive and boring, the whole reason I started this search if you will is because, at 42, being divorced with no kids, and getting tired of moving around, I want to find a place where I can stay for awhile or preferably permanently.

For the majority of my life I resided in large metropolitan areas. It was great, lots to do, nightlife, etc, but I find that at this point in my life I don't really require those kinds of diversions anymore. My preference now is a medium sized city (population around 100,000 or so) that will give me the kind of amenities that one expects but doesn't have to be on the cutting edge culture wise. I'm not going to be a homeowner, just a renter so as long as I can find work that will keep a roof over my head, food in my mouth, and pay my bills, I'm good. I'm not religious, though I am conservative. I live in the desert now so hot isn't an issue, but I'm not a big fan of humidity. And we do get our share of weird bugs and creepy crawlers here too.

From what I have read and researched, either Abilene or San Angelo seemed like they might be a good fit for me. But I'm not set on either and am certainly open to other suggestions within the great state of Texas. So if anyone else would like to throw out ideas, I would be more than happy to hear them.

Again, thank you all for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 06:20 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times
If I were single and just looking to enjoy life,I would move to Corpus Christi,or even Port A if I was willing to work for just a living wage.

Actually,if I were able,I would live in one of the ski areas of CO.Being able to ski every week in winter would be awesome.When skiing was over,then I would come back to CC.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,268 times
Well, I have lived in San Angelo for a year-after moving here from Houston, TX cause of my husband's job. It is ok-As far as jobs go, it depends on what you do-if you are in medical, there is a lot of jobs, but there are few and far between for most others. I would recommend you check out the san angelo standard times website to see if your particular type of jobs are in there. As for shopping-it's not super-you can get the things you need, but if there is something unusual you are looking for, you may have to trek to San Antonio (not a bad drive). In my experience, Abilene seems to have more to offer-basically everytime I need something and I go on the internet to get it, Abilene has it. San Angelo does have some nice things though, as far as arena football and rodeo. It just depends on what you are looking for. Being a city girl myself I have days where I can't wait to get out of here, but there are days I am really attached to the place. You can rent a nice place here for cheaper than many other cities. Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 PM

492 posts, read 962,157 times
Abilene has continually practiced a no growth policy. It's population sign has hovered around 110k or so for 20 to 30 years. Most of those are probly voters still on the rolls but six feet under.

Abilene has expanded to the northeast and Abilene Chritten University and to the southwest and Buffalo Gap. What was once a prosperous city is something of a ghost town. Downtown is okay but there are strip malls everywhere that sit vacant or have been severely degraded in quality since their foundings.

Rentals are available at moderate prices and shopping, food and movies are suitable. Teh part I like best about Abilene is the rumble of the B1 (or 2 or whatever) bombers in the morning.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
Abilene has continually practiced a no growth policy. It's population sign has hovered around 110k or so for 20 to 30 years. Most of those are probly voters still on the rolls but six feet under.

Abilene has expanded to the northeast and Abilene Chritten University and to the southwest and Buffalo Gap. What was once a prosperous city is something of a ghost town. Downtown is okay but there are strip malls everywhere that sit vacant or have been severely degraded in quality since their foundings.

Rentals are available at moderate prices and shopping, food and movies are suitable. Teh part I like best about Abilene is the rumble of the B1 (or 2 or whatever) bombers in the morning.
You're kidding, right? A "ghost town?" I guess you've missed all of the new hotels and restaurants moving in, the new cancer research center that's being built, and the wind technology companies coming here.

Btw, when I moved here two years ago, the population was 115,000; now it's 116,000. Our unemployment rate is well below the state average and we're weathering the recession quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas