Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to pay a portion of your income for health care, why on earth do you think that others should want to pay a portion of THEIR income for YOUR health care? Especially when you are, by your own admission, capable of buying a "nice home" wherever you eventually land, something that many of the people who would be paying for your health care are not able to do? Where is the logic in that? Do you REALLY think you're owed that? If you do, how can you justify it rationally?

And, Australia. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Hey-- I am retired--so I have do plenty of time to loiter on these boards--as apparently you do...
I understand that you don't want to be taken advantage of by a system that IMO does abuse the working middle-class who are frankly wage slaves (and I include myself in that category) and have little to power to off-set the hugh swing over the past 2-3 decades that have allowed corporations (controlled by a select group of high income individuals) control more and more power in US society and become more and more callous to the needs of their employees...where a govt has allowed and abetted certain companies and sectors to enrich themselves at the public expense all the time proclaiming it was to achieve a "better life"

it is greed dominated system of dog eat dog with little but lip-service in protecting the rights of the American people and providing a quality standard of living...

When US is compared with other countries we have seen significant slide in infant mortality and other health issues like rising obesity, sinking educational levels and quality of life issues..

you remind me of my husband's boss--who owns an company that is really making money hand over fist--he has become VERY wealthy in the past 10-12 yrs--not Jobs or Gates rich--but RICH--
and he hates to pay taxes --abhors social programs -- is basically cheap--the health ins coverage for employees could be free because his company makes so much money but NO that would take money out of his pocket...
-- does all kinds of creative accounting to minimize or avoid them...I am sure he has his tax attorney working over time trying to save him money--
yet he voted for the current president and republican congress that have created the greatest fiscal deficit in US history... which he does not care about because he personally will have enough wealth to protect himself and his family from any downside...

the only thing I would say is that if you are a person of color--Australia does not have a great history in that area--from what I have real there is still a lot of real prejudice there and there is a growing antipathy to people who come in to work and take advantage of Australia's social programs---so you might not get much sympathy there either...

Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Forget Texas~go with Australia.

If you're interested in learning more about Australia, there are a few wonderful Aussies who hang out in the Weather Forum on this very site. We often wander off topic a bit so we can learn more then just the weather patterns in our different countries. You're free to DM any of them and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you info. From what I've learned, I don't think they'll give you the info you want to hear, but they'll give you answers.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:19 AM

12 posts, read 34,347 times
Quote:
and from what my friends in oz tell me, housing is EXTREMELY expensive there..... particularly in comparison to the states.......
You can build a new house there for about the same money as in Texas. It is true that real estate and everything else in Australia got very expensive to us, but it is only because our dollar has lost its value. They don’t have 9 trillion dollar national debt there, and our government spends more and more giving less in return. I don’t think you are going to miss much, unless you have a family in the U.S. It is BY FAR easier to obtain a resident visa in Australia than to get a green card in the States. And from this moment your family has the same benefits as citizens, including access to Medicare.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 AM

12 posts, read 34,347 times
Quote:
Therefore, those displaying here a judgmental, self-righteous attitude are IMO hypocrites. There must be quite a few of them also in Texas judging from some responses to my questions.
There is lots of churchianity in Texas (instead of Christianity) and with it lots of bigotry and hypocrisy. This is major difference between Texas and Australia from my experience.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with what people are saying on here.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconX View Post
There is lots of churchianity in Texas (instead of Christianity) and with it lots of bigotry and hypocrisy. This is major difference between Texas and Australia from my experience.
Boy, where did YOU hang out in Texas? I hear this frequently, and, you know, I've lived in Texas going on six decades now, been elsewhere, and find that there's no more of that here than other places. Except that some people seem to have "bug me about religion" tattooed on their forehead or something.

Lots of assumptions in the quote above. Including that religion (Christianity or otherwise) has anything to do with the statements being made about someone wanting the rest of us to pay for their expenses so that they don't have to work.

Still waiting for a logical, well-written defense of the idea that because the OP doesn't want to pay a portion of his income for health expenses for his family, that the rest of us should want to pay those expenses for him out of OUR income so that he can be a writer.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 AM

42 posts, read 108,877 times
Quote:
They don’t have 9 trillion dollar national debt there, and our government spends more and more giving less in return. I don’t think you are going to miss much, unless you have a family in the U.S. It is BY FAR easier to obtain a resident visa in Australia than to get a green card in the States. And from this moment your family has the same benefits as citizens, including access to Medicare.
Australia has NO National Debt!!! They’ve had a surplus last year. Like you, I’m concerned with nearly 10 trillion of National Debt that we have, as well as with our government spending and taxing more every year, with FED making the dollar weaker to help CBs and their buddies at Wall Street. When I sold my house in the U.S. just a few years ago, I could buy or build 2 houses in many parts of Europe. Now, after 8 years of GWB, if I sell my house in Europe, I can buy or build 2 similar houses in Texas with enough change left for a new car and a bike! But after reading and thinking about these two options, I am going to spend that money in Australia .

Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Falcon, I don't understand why you and Alfredzio need a green card to live in the U.S. Alfredzio previously stated that he is a U.S. citizen.

IMHO~you should definitely stick with Australia.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM

283 posts, read 1,282,126 times
Quote:
Australia has NO National Debt!!! They’ve had a surplus last year. Like you, I’m concerned with nearly 10 trillion of National Debt that we have, as well as with our government spending and taxing more every year, with FED making the dollar weaker to help CBs and their buddies at Wall Street. When I sold my house in the U.S. just a few years ago, I could buy or build 2 houses in many parts of Europe. Now, after 8 years of GWB, if I sell my house in Europe, I can buy or build 2 similar houses in Texas with enough change left for a new car and a bike! But after reading and thinking about these two options, I am going to spend that money in Australia
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
http://www.oldcardboard.com/lsj/images/cowboy.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas