Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM

34 posts, read 93,741 times

Advertisements

I head that people in Texas are not very friendly towards transplants, or at least not as friendly (treat transplants differently).....is this true???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:23 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave27 View Post
I head that people in Texas are not very friendly towards transplants, or at least not as friendly (treat transplants differently).....is this true???
I find that they give the the livers the hardest time, but the lungs they are nice to. Ohhh, you mean transplanted people. Most people here are transplants themselves, and if you make half an effort to enjoy your new adopted home they are more than nice. It's the clowns who move here and the whine and moan that get looked down on.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I've always felt very welcomed by the people I've met in Texas.

Some people I know may have some silly prejudices about my home state of California (which I give them a hard time about only if they bring up the subject first ), but Texans in general have never been anything but sweet to me.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
rb, couldn't have said it better myself. Some groups in some cities (Dallas) may be kind of clickish, but just wiz on their front porch a coupla times, they'll learn to wear their shoes.

The real snobs are usually transplants themselves and just too embarrassed to admit it.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:54 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,463 times
I didn't have any problem from natives or non-natives when I moved here back in '97. At first we met a lot of transplants (apartment living) but oddly enough most (if not all I can't think of a transplant right now except for a friend's wife from Oklahoma) of our friends we hang out with are natives to north Texas.

Now people (not a lot) have some interesting thoughts about Louisiana (where we immediately came from and DH is a native of) and California (where I lived for about 15 years), most people here realize they are just "generalizations." But I have to laugh, when I moved from Cali back to Louisiana I actually had a native Californian friend, a college graduate, ask me if it was hard to manuever to and from places in a boat. The man seriously thought all things were connected via canals I guess.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM

38 posts, read 113,025 times
NOPE!

"Hospitality City!"

Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
I'm originally from North Carolina where southern hospitality is a given. I find that the good people of the Lone Star state are every bit as nice and hospitable. I have yet to run into anyone that wasn't very pleasant.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
I'm from VA and before that NY... and I haven't had a single issue. I wear my NY Yankees shirts out, and give Cowboys fans a hard time, and I always get a good response out of everyone.

My daughter was wearing a school shirt, and her elementary school's mascot was the Patriot... and she wore it after the Cowboys played the Patriots. I told her that she was going to catch hell for wearing it, but she insisted that people would know it's her school. Sure enough, some guy was giving her a hard time, but it was all in fun.

But I find wherever I may be, being the first to act friendly goes a long way. I'll always hold a door open for people, always say excuse me and thank you, and even though I'm from the north, I'll say m'am and sir out of respect. It goes a long way, and more times than not you'll get it right back.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
The real snobs are usually transplants themselves and just too embarrassed to admit it.
This couldn't be more true!

Native Texans, and there are still a lot of us around, are very hospitable!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
Native Texans, and there are still a lot of us around, are very hospitable!
Yep, there are still a few of us out there. Some areas of the metroplex have more than others.

As for those transplants...........I've tried to transplant some of my flowers and not had much luck. Some people just have a green thumb for that kind of stuff Don't care to have to EVER worry about the medical kind of transplants ! No thanks.

Then there are those OTHER kinds of "transplants". Them folks born from somewhere else that seem to find their way to our blessed state and home. We like'em all for the most part. Only ones we don't care for are the ones who moan, groan, bellyache and ****** all the time about how much better somewhere else is than here (heck, that is why us Texans go on 3-4 vacations a year ). Thank goodness those are less than the ones that are more likeable and come down and are appreciative of our hospitality . We even let them marry our children (heck, even I married a non-Texan.........shhhhh. I try not to let too many people know that. But, he DID move here by the time he was 2) . We are for the most part all good hearted people that enjoy ribbing each other. The ones that get their feathers all ruffled up don't know how to play along. We can usually all take as much as we dish it out if it is all done in good fun.

Oh, if you really want to get a Texan talking ask them where they vacation. We LOVE to go on vacation and not just to the Texas coast either. We do that as well but that is typically not our "BIG vacation". Spring Break is one vacation most of us all either head to the beach or mountains for. Then ask them where their lake house is or deer lease if you find a hunter. We LOVE going to the lake. A good number of us Texans have "second homes" located on some lake out in "the country". If one isn't into the lake thing they might have a "farm" or some land out in the country to get away from it all. Find your neighbor with a lakehouse and get to be good buddies with them. You might find yourself enjoying the life we all do and liking it.

How to meet these people:
1. If you see them out doing yardwork or peddling in the garage - GO OVER!!! We are not going to be intrusive and come running over when we see you out and bombard you when the moving truck first shows up. If your open to talking then we are too and don't mind a bit. Were not the ones that will be busy unpacking and trying to get settled and might not have time to stop and chat so we are not going to get in your way during the first few days. So if your coming in or out and have a few minutes and want to say hello then take the chance to do it. We won't mind a bit

2. Walk the kids to school and to pick them up. Even if you have to drive to pick them up go up and park and get out (don't park in the "pick up line" though - BIG NO-NO ). But find a parking spot and get out and wait under the porch w/ the other parents and get to know a few. Don't have to get knee-deep into PTA to get to know a few parents at the school . Volunteer to go on field trips as well. Go have lunch w/ your kids. Tons of easy ways to get to meet other parents at the kids school.

3. Even if you don't attend church and don't plan on it - find the local church and see when their Fall Festival is and GO!!! Take the kids up to "trick or treat" and enjoy the fun and games and meet some people in the area. Most won't care the least if you have never attended church in your lifetime. Same for their Easter Egg Hunt. The local churches put on all kinds of activities for the neighborhood and community and you don't have to attend to be a part of it. Oh, and their summer VBS is another great way for your kids to meet other kids in the area and expand their base of friends. As they get older and into more activities they will more than likely see some of these people and it will be a familiar face for them.

4. No kids??? You can find all kinds of activities for all ages and interests. If your an active adult that plays a sport you will be able to find an adult league. Into reading, find a book club. Go the rec center by you to work out and/or take a few classes of interest. Ride a bicycle and want to join a cycling group? There are PLENTY of those around as well. This is a HUGE thing here. Want to take up sailing - Lake Ray Hubbard in Rockwall is the place. Walk the dog around a nice inner city lake - White Rock Lake. Join the Dallas Arboretum, Dallas Museum of Arts or the Meyerson. Take a class at a local jr college for fun. Even some of the local school districts offer "continuing education" classes like stained glass art, welding, etc. Into cars (call me ) then there are a lot of car clubs and shows around (kind of dies down during the winter months though). Don't have to own one to go and check them all out and talk to the owners and other car nuts. There REALLY is a lot to do in the Dallas area. Enough to keep one busy for a LONG TIME and you won't have time to be "bored" or anything.

If you need help finding any kind of group for your interests just ask on here and I'm sure some of us will be able to point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas