Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Oak Cliff (Dallas) and went to UofH (Houston). The area around UofH was really nice but if you walked 2 blocks north things got really bad. I never ever had a problem and I spent alot of time at TSU. Oak Cliff is somewhat like a city within a city. It has affluent, middle class and poor residents. I fell much safer in Oak Cliff than I do in places like Dixon Circle (South Dallas). Ft Worth has more of gang problem than Dallas but danger can lurk around any corner.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
Man worst neighborhoods are in houston, I've lived in dallas and its not bad as they make it seem. If dallas had a place like the southwest, dallas police wouldn't know what to do. But in my young life I've seen so much violence I though it was normal, until I got out of houston and realized its not. I grew up in greenspoint back when it was called gunpoint, and back when people use to play pool in the old apple tree store. Then I lived in the hiram clarke area, and fondren area and seen homocides, carjackings, shoot outs and anything else you can think of. Houston has 2.4 million people with 400 or so homocides while new york has 500 or so homocides but has 8 million plus. That says a lot about crime in houston.
I agree that it certainly seemed that way to me too. My dad lives in Houston and works in the 5th ward. It seems like something is always happening there. However statistically, Dallas is the more dangerous city. Theyre violent crime rate is about a point higher than Houstons.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Which city seemed really intimidating to you???

Waco has gotten really bad and starting become like the rustbelt. Just last week someone broken into my cousins house and beat her and shot her husband.[There okay though]. Last year my cousin was shot and killed. It's just really crazy how bad crime has got in that area, especially East Waco. I feel that area alone could probably revile the hoods in Houston and Dallas.

It was also just rated one of the poorest cities in Texas/ Worst place to raise family,etc.
My grandmother lives in Waco. Waco like any city has its problems. East Waco has a problem with gangs and viloence. I dont know thats its really any worse than most other places though.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I grew up in Oak Cliff (Dallas) and went to UofH (Houston). The area around UofH was really nice but if you walked 2 blocks north things got really bad. I never ever had a problem and I spent alot of time at TSU. Oak Cliff is somewhat like a city within a city. It has affluent, middle class and poor residents. I fell much safer in Oak Cliff than I do in places like Dixon Circle (South Dallas). Ft Worth has more of gang problem than Dallas but danger can lurk around any corner.
Yeah, I'll say once you get past Alabama st going north of UH in third ward is when things get iffy.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 PM

100 posts, read 446,507 times
For me probably the one time I was really like "Damn, I do not feel safe at all" was not anywhere in TX (Been everywhere in TX too) was on Kingshighway in St. Louis. I don't know what it was, cause I've been through rough spots in almost all the cities in TX (except Austin), including a lot in El Paso where most of my family lives and of course in the Valley (La Paloma, La Navarro, PSJA etc.) but call it Mexican intuition but as soon as stopped there to pump gas I was like "I need to get the f*** out of here now."

Old 06-11-2009, 08:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
but call it Mexican intuition but as soon as stopped there to pump gas I was like "I need to get the f*** out of here now."

That's just intuition in general. I can handle getting down just about anywhere in Houston but I was off I-5 somewhere near 1st street or so in Los Angeles, and I got that same vibe. Time to get the F out.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I've never been anywhere in Dallas that was as unsettling as a couple of spots we stopped at in Houston. Good gravy.

I thought El Paso would be scary until I spent a lot of time there and realized most of the violent crime stays across the border...rated the third safest big city in the country while we were there.

I am not scared or intimidated of any Texas city I can think of. But maybe it's because I'm comparing them to Moscow, Jakarta, Mexico City...

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I've never been anywhere in Dallas that was as unsettling as a couple of spots we stopped at in Houston. Good gravy.

I thought El Paso would be scary until I spent a lot of time there and realized most of the violent crime stays across the border...rated the third safest big city in the country while we were there.

I am not scared or intimidated of any Texas city I can think of. But maybe it's because I'm comparing them to Moscow, Jakarta, Mexico City...
Laredo is up there imo. I went there with my dad once and we stayed like 3 blocks from the border.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
My grandmother lives in Waco. Waco like any city has its problems. East Waco has a problem with gangs and viloence. I dont know thats its really any worse than most other places though.
I don't think it's worse than any other place; I feel it has gotten worse though. The city and school are really becoming too strict. They just recently closed down the best club in Waco (Legacy) and plan to build a fence around Waco High and enforce uniforms.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:18 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't think it's worse than any other place; I feel it has gotten worse though. The city and school are really becoming too strict. They just recently closed down the best club in Waco (Legacy) and plan to build a fence around Waco High and enforce uniforms.

How are they being too strict? If these people that go to clubs and shoot up the place and these kids in schools wouldn't act like hooligan's, than the city and school district wouldn't have to take such drastic measures.

I think the city AND the school district are fed up with these fools that can't act right, that is why they are being so "strict" as you say. I don't blame them, but at the same time, it spoils it for everyone that can act right.

What would you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas