Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times

Advertisements

Many parents aren't allowing there kids to even start wrestling these days, with all the problems with herpes wrestlers have been having nation wide. It's sad. I know several boys that are just dying to try....but I understand their parents hesitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I think wrestling is growing in popularity. Westlake High School and Bowie High school in Austin are "powers" in the state at the 5A level. The UIL (University Interscholastic League) regulates the sport and coordinates the district, regional, and state championships.

Football is a clear #1, but #2 and beyond vary greatly by city and school. Baseball can be bigger than basketball at many schools. Some will be surprised how strong tennis, golf, and swimming are in many schools.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
My high school had wrestling and is pretty competitive at it--we've had 2 kids win UIL state titles in the 6 years we've been in the UIL. Most of the 5A schools, at least those in major cities, have wrestling teams. Wrestling is only one classification in Texas--if a 1A school has a wrestling team, it has to compete with 5A schools. 4A Highland Park has been the dominant force in Texas high school wrestling in the past 10 years or so.

Football is number one by far. I would say that at my high school soccer is #2 but that's just because we're really good at it. After that would be basketball. Most of the other sports don't get many fans at the games, but we have almost every sport there is for boys in Texas--varsity lacrosse, rugby, ice hockey, crew, you name it. They just started cycling, water polo, and men's volleyball teams--very weird for Texas.

But football is far and away the most popular sport in Texas--nothing else really comes close.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 PM

107 posts, read 285,402 times
When my kids were in school in Katy, Texas ( Within the last 5 years) wrestling was just taking off. I think it will become more popular in other Texas towns too. They even had a few female wrestlers that kicked some butt. In Katy though, Football is huge!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Is high school wrestling big in Texas

what other sports are big in texas besides football
I remember it some in the `80s, but now that you bring it up, I don't recall the last time I've heard about a wrestling match or known a kid who wrestles.

Baseball, basketball are pretty big. Of course nothing like football! Lacrosse is starting to take off here in Dallas.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
IME not as big as in other states I've lived in such as Colorado. I think it's also bigger here in Delaware and the surrounding states. It really seemed to be a big thing in Colo.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
There is no wrestling at any school I know about in the Waco area.

In the Waco area I'd rank HS sports in terms of popularity as follows:

BOYS
-----
Football
Baseball
Basketball
Soccer (more popular in heavily Hispanic schools)
Track
Tennis/Swimming/Golf/Cross Country/Powerlifting

GIRLS
------
Basketball
Softball/Soccer
Volleyball
Track
Tennis/Golf/Swimming/Powerlifting/Cross Country

Band is also a competitive UIL activity in Texas and is probably the most popular activity in many schools.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:46 AM

104 posts, read 605,580 times
MMA is big in Houston..so therefore some wrestling is somewhat since wrestling is a big part of it. We have wrestling in the High Schools around my area like Clear Lake and Clear Brook. I'm a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu assistant instructor here in Houston at Gracie Barra Texas which is also fairly big.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No, I'd say Basketball comes after Football. Track is up there as well.
well i dont know what town your living in but in central texas basketball is not was big as baseball. And track is not anywhere up there

Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 AM

156 posts, read 493,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coboblack View Post
MMA is big in Houston..so therefore some wrestling is somewhat since wrestling is a big part of it. We have wrestling in the High Schools around my area like Clear Lake and Clear Brook. I'm a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu assistant instructor here in Houston at Gracie Barra Texas which is also fairly big.
Fast forward 5 years, MMA is even more prominent and influences more kids to participate in wrestling. I know some coaches in KATY ISD that recruit and promote wrestling to complement their MMA and/or BJJ game. It's a very effective tool. Just look at the shear numbers of wrestlers in the Mayde Creek and Morton Ranch programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas