Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 07:53 AM

21 posts, read 81,620 times

Advertisements

Greetings one and all,

I tried the search and nothing comes back. I do remember reading some information RE: ceader trees in Texas. The land my wife and I are looking at in the Hill Country has a mix of Oak and Ceader on it.

Do are Ceader Trees Good Bad or Ugley?

Thanks in advance

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
Try doing a search for Cedar. You have it spelled wrong.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:35 AM

21 posts, read 81,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Try doing a search for Cedar. You have it spelled wrong.
Thank you.

So far only bad thing is might cause someone to have allergy to the tree.

Trying to find out if they can cause damage around wells and septic systems.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
There are CEDAR trees in East Texas. Even a few Cedar of Lebanon.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoilman View Post
Thank you.

So far only bad thing is might cause someone to have allergy to the tree.

Trying to find out if they can cause damage around wells and septic systems.
True, many are allergic to them. They aren't pretty but quite prevalent in Texas and after a rain, they smell nice. They're more like shrubs to me than trees, a bit unkept looking.

I don't know about damage around wells and septic systems. I don't have any in my yard but my neighbor has ever so many. He has never said anything about damage to his septic system; he doesn't have a well.

I would think if roots got into the lateral lines, that would pose a problem. I have a giant and old Live Oak tree in my backyard and many large shrubs and have never had any septic problems at all in the 20 years I've lived in this home. I've never had the system pumped out nor do I use septic treatments in my toilets. I guess I'm very lucky!!

Old 02-18-2007, 09:24 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Cedar trees, which are really Juniper (or so I am told) are not native to central Texas. The major beef against them is that they suck up huge amounts of water (mostly near the surface) and prevent some of the native grasses from flourishing. Oh, and the Cedar Fever.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 PM

112 posts, read 803,715 times
I believe you all are referring to Saltcedar, also known as Tamarisk. As mentioned, it is an invasive, non-native species that depletes surface and groundwater, displaces native species and habitats, and provides very little wildlife benefit. I recall it's a major problem in W Texas and the RG valley and probably other places.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:52 PM

10 posts, read 42,144 times
Cedar, aka Mountain Cedar, but really Ashe Juniper can range from a garbage shrub to an attractive tree. The shed pollen like crazy starting around Jan 1 and stop around Valentines Day. Most people cut them down or at a minimum thin them out. Once they are out and can't use the 15+ gallons of water a day that supposedly is typical then the grasses return. But they are prolific and the seeds sprout seedlings every year. BUT they are evergreen and not much else is here in the Hill Country in Jan and Feb except live oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: