Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 PM

287 posts, read 503,186 times

Advertisements

I am certain that I want Texas to be my next, and I hope, last home.I live in Denver right now. The terrain here bores me to death. I grew up in the midwest, and I miss wooded ravines, and othersuch interesting terrain. I am not interested in the coniferous type oftree, rather I love deciduous trees, especially patches of woods.Is this something like what I might find outside of Fort Worth? Outside of Dallas?North of the DFW metro? South? I want to mention that I am interestedin every city except Houston (too big, too much concrete based onmy impressions of it). San Antonio is the city I am considering alongwith Dallas or Fort Worth. I have the impression that San Antonio issurely not as wooded as Dallas, and that the trees in SA are probably not the big impressive types such as oak, or whatever. I just wantto situate myself where I will be happiest, and I would be happiestin a place where me and my dog could explore wooded ravines, dig for old beer cans and bottles, and enjoy playing around in a thicketof woods. Thank you for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 AM

214 posts, read 724,846 times
Being from Michigan I love the trees and greenery as well...Houston takes the bill for me

Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 AM

33 posts, read 181,469 times
You would probably be happiest in Austin. I lived in Denver, Houston, Fort Worth, etc. True, Houston is actually very wooded and beautiful, but the parks are dangerous even in the day time. Same goes for Fort Worth and San Antonio. However, Austin is an outdoor paradise and very dog friendly. Lots and lots of woods, trails, water, dog parks, and people out with their dogs. My son, sister-in-law and nieces and nephews all live there and all run around the various parks. There is a river that runs through the city and it's called Town Lake at one section. All kinds of activity there. Austin seems pretty safe in the day time. Denver has great, safe parks, but I know what you mean about getting tired of fir and pines. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
How about South East Texas. Places such as Brazoria, Sweeny, West Columbia, East Columbia, Santa Fe, any towns in Brazoria County. You would be about an hour or so from Houston, maybe a touch more depending on which town. You have all types of trees not of the coniferous variety. Even moss draped Oaks which I do miss seeing, especially with a light morning fog around them. Lake Jackson would be another town with nice trees. You might like Austin, but it doesn't have the same types of trees you mention. It has Junipers (many call them cedars), scrub oaks, Oaks...but not moss draped, and lots of pines as well. North of Houston and areas around Tyler are also known for trees (but mostly of the coniferous type).

Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Great Trinity Forest (http://www.trinityrivercorridor.com/html/great_trinity_forest.html - broken link)

Unfair Park - What's So Great About the Great Trinity Forest? Well, Find Out.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,459 times
Thanks for the great links, lakewooder.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 AM

73 posts, read 123,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
I am certain that I want Texas to be my next, and I hope, last home.I live in Denver right now. The terrain here bores me to death. I grew up in the midwest, and I miss wooded ravines, and othersuch interesting terrain. I am not interested in the coniferous type oftree, rather I love deciduous trees, especially patches of woods.Is this something like what I might find outside of Fort Worth? Outside of Dallas?North of the DFW metro? South? I want to mention that I am interestedin every city except Houston (too big, too much concrete based onmy impressions of it). San Antonio is the city I am considering alongwith Dallas or Fort Worth. I have the impression that San Antonio issurely not as wooded as Dallas, and that the trees in SA are probably not the big impressive types such as oak, or whatever. I just wantto situate myself where I will be happiest, and I would be happiestin a place where me and my dog could explore wooded ravines, dig for old beer cans and bottles, and enjoy playing around in a thicketof woods. Thank you for your answers.
You should check this thread out on this forum.

Did you know: San Antonio Has Trees?

I'm only linking the first post because most of the thread turns into a back and forth arguing match like the fifth grade.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
I am certain that I want Texas to be my next, and I hope, last home.I live in Denver right now. The terrain here bores me to death. I grew up in the midwest, and I miss wooded ravines, and othersuch interesting terrain. I am not interested in the coniferous type oftree, rather I love deciduous trees, especially patches of woods.Is this something like what I might find outside of Fort Worth? Outside of Dallas?North of the DFW metro? South? I want to mention that I am interestedin every city except Houston (too big, too much concrete based onmy impressions of it). .
Well that's too bad about Houston because I think it generally has the tallest trees and most variety of trees of the places you mention. Dallas is much more of a prairie setting in general and not nearly as wooded except for a few areas inside town. And it probably has just as much concrete as Houston.... if you look at aerial shots, Houston is way more green. If I were you, I'd look at north San Antonio, some areas of Austin (not east), and some areas of Houston like Memorial or The Woodlands (which sound like a great fit for what you want)

Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 PM

287 posts, read 503,186 times
wow, I totally have no idea what to do now. I will keep reading posts, contemplating,and looking at aerial shots until I get even more confused. I thank you for your inputs.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,031 times
East Texas is known as the Piney Woods region of Texas.....

National Forests of Texas

The Big Thicket National Forest is located in SE Texas ....too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas