Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:23 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I always found this new fad of: "I was born in Texas but Texas just sucks SO bad..Everyone here is just SOO beneath me..They're all backward, hicks, redneck, unrefined, horse-people --- while Im just SOO upscale and polished, and Ive even seen a SKYSCRAPER BEFORE!! wow..Im practically a Northeasterner" outlook so hilarious...

Not only is it self defeating but what people dont realize is that: It doesnt matter whether you move to frickin Maine or Mars...You will always be a native Texan..The residents of wherever else you move will still only know you as one of those "hick, redneck, unrefined, soul-less, horse people..who just happened to move their miserable butt into my region, and is trying his darndest shed part of himself to fit in here."...lol

I mean inevitably: if you cant be the least bit proud of where you're from (or at bare minimum resist being ashamed and disgusted at the fact that you hail from that place), whereever you go you're still just going to be some pathetic, cheap imitation of whoever is actually native to that place; and if you're really of the mindset that "whew thank goodness I got away from those lowly pickup driving, hicks", then most likely you wont even know it. lol...

If you're going to put words in my mouth, at least get your grammar and diction correct.

I never said I was ashamed to be from Texas, or that I would cease to be a native Texan when I moved. I said I didn't like Texas, that it's a miserable state, and I was looking forward to moving. If I was ashamed to be from Texas, I certainly wouldn't be on a message board specific to Texas.

Yet again, keyboard psychologists. You know not a damn thing about me or my feelings, aside from the fact that I have little tolerance for morons and I seriously dislike living in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Some people just like to complain ;no matter what their circumstances. Most are people who really don't do anyhting about their situation other than that. There are lots of cool places that have cheap property many even cheaper. I am surprised that you waited until the markets dropped so much in your area.

My wife just graduated from colllege, as I did recently. Been kind of busy with that. Also have an ailing fmaily member that I care deeply about, and I don't want to move until she passes on. It would devastate her.

As for the market, I just bought my house, a foreclosure, for a ridiculous discount. I give it 3-4 years for the market to turn around, and I can sell at very good profit and then go any place I care to with enough cash to afford to live anywhere I choose. But very few places have the cheap housing that Texas has. I am looking at a minimum $60K extra to get a place thats even close to being comparable.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
If you're going to put words in my mouth, at least get your grammar and diction correct.

I never said I was ashamed to be from Texas, or that I would cease to be a native Texan when I moved. I said I didn't like Texas, that it's a miserable state, and I was looking forward to moving. If I was ashamed to be from Texas, I certainly wouldn't be on a message board specific to Texas.

Yet again, keyboard psychologists. You know not a damn thing about me or my feelings, aside from the fact that I have little tolerance for morons and I seriously dislike living in Texas.
If you're going to try to correct my diction at least learn what miserable implies...It implies a state of being a person is in....A) No one was trying to correct or quote ANYTHING you specifically said (dont flatter yourself, you're not that important to Texas or anyone else), so put your little magnifying glass away and quit searching for reasons to act offended...B) I didnt claim to know anything about your little miserable butt..nor am I interested in knowing anything about your disgraced self... so hurry up and skidaddle to lalaland or wherever the hell you feel like moving and kiss their ass instead.

Dont come at me ignorant and I wont come at you ignorant. I stated my opinion and as you like to put it "(whahh!) Yall are attacking me for just stating a negative opinion." If Im an internet psychologist you're damn sure the cyber nutcase kid...If you can throw it you better damn well be able to catch it. Frickin crybaby..hurry the hell up and get the HELL out of Texas.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-30-2008 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-30-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
If you're going to try to correct my diction at least learn what miserable implies...It implies a state of being a person is in....A) No one was trying to correct or quote ANYTHING you specifically said (dont flatter yourself, you're not that important to Texas or anyone else), so put your little magnifying glass away and quit searching for reasons to act offended...B) I didnt claim to know anything about your little miserable butt..nor am I interested in knowing anything about your disgraced self... so hurry up and skidaddle to lalaland or wherever the hell you feel like moving and kiss their ass instead.

Dont come at me ignorant and I wont come at you ignorant. I stated my opinion and as you like to put it "(whahh!) Yall are attacking me for just stating a negative opinion." If Im an internet psychologist you're damn sure the cyber nutcase kid...If you can throw it you better damn well be able to catch it. Frickin crybaby..hurry the hell up and get the HELL out of Texas.

Yes, your entire post was in no way aimed at me, it just happened to conveniently fit the entire previous posts. Right.

I find it so amusing that you people get so worked up over the fact that I don't like Texas. Really, you take it as a personal insult. There has to be something deeply disturbed within you people to act like that.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:55 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Yes, your entire post was in no way aimed at me, it just happened to conveniently fit the entire previous posts. Right.

I find it so amusing that you people get so worked up over the fact that I don't like Texas. Really, you take it as a personal insult. There has to be something deeply disturbed within you people to act like that.
I could careless about your particular post...take your magnifying glass back out..If you read the beginning I referenced the: FAD...which it is..here recently there are quite a few self proclaimed "Urbane" people (mostly younger individuals) whining about how Texas isnt somewhere they "think" they deserve to live instead...If you happen to be a part of that fad, so be it..If I had've been talking TO or ABOUT you specifically, I know where the quote button is.... if it didnt pertain to you u need to keep it moving instead of coming at me in apoplectic malcontent for "just stating my negative opinion" of what I perceive to be a fad. -- heed your own counsel.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-30-2008 at 02:10 PM..

Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM

271 posts, read 809,790 times
As an ex-OTR truck driver I've seen most all of this country and have lived coast to coast. We are blessed to have such a wide range of scenery in this great country and there's something for everyone's taste out there. Texas IMHO has more variety than any state in this country in regards to landscape,weather,people,and opinions. There are parts of Texas I wouldn't live in and parts I wish I could move to today. I choose to live here and will probably never leave because this great state has the nicest most generous people I have ever had the privilege to know and that's what makes Texas number one in my book.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
Quote:

People could care less that you don't like Texas.People DO take offense when you decide to go beyond merely stating you don't like it and saying how it sucks,is miserable,and is soulless.If you can't tell the difference between the two then you are not nearly as intelligent as you wish to portray yourself to us dumb,snuff dipping country bumpkins.

But rather than continue the line of insults,I would like to change course and find out how you know so much about how ALL of Texas sucks.Where all exactly have you lived?And by living I mean permanent,change the address,send the kids to new schools if you have them,have the relatives come there for the holidays lived.Not visited,or worked a short period,but lived enough to learn about the area and the people.Give us a rundown.

Have you ever lived in Houston?Not my cup of tea but a lot of people like it.

Ever lived in Austin?Nice Hill Country area.

Ever lived in San Antonio?

How about CC or Port A?

What about Lubbock?

Ever lived in El Paso?Some like it,some hate it,but have you ever lived there to have an opinion?

What about west Texas?The Big Country?

Ever lived in Tyler?How about deep east Texas around Sam Rayburn?

How about the RGV?Any actual experience with it?

What about the Alpine/Marfa/Ft Davis area?Ever lived there?

What you've done is on par with me moving to LA,deciding I don't like it,and then coming back to TX and telling everyone how much CA sucks.Such as statement would be ignorant,because I never lived in northern CA,or anyplace else but LA.It looks to me like you pulling the same ignorant stance here.You've lived 2 or 3 places,and from that decided that the whole state sucks.Only an imbecile can come to such a conclusion without having lived in most of TX.

So tell us,miserable boy,where all have you lived to come to this profound conclusion?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
If you look at the OP post ;he is just one of those that is unhappy for whatever reason and has to stir the pot. If he had post negatives and positives he might have been accepted but you can find miserable people like him posting in every states forum.They just can help but strike out in the end.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you look at the OP post ;he is just one of those that is unhappy for whatever reason and has to stir the pot. If he had post negatives and positives he might have been accepted but you can find miserable people like him posting in every states forum.They just can help but strike out in the end.
The OP was about someone who WANTS to move to Texas and was asking for recommendations on the best place to relocate to. The person who thinks Texas sucks just jumped in.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:32 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
You say you "didn't really like that area". So, because I didn't like that area, I am a racist? I simply did not feel comfortable being a minority, or not being able to communicate in my profession without constantly using an interpreter, and I was discriminated against on a daily basis, simply because I am an Anglo. There is nothing wrong with wanting to "fit in" and feel comfortable where you live. Think about it, how many black people would move to, and stay in a county in Texas that is 99% white? Not many. Right? I don't think there is anything wrong or racist about the way I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
NO Bellestare you are racist sorry.

I have lived in different parts of South Texas- the last 9 years in Rockport. Rockport is 80% Anglo but its 100% English speaking as the hispanic population has been here generations. In Denton there is a much higher percentage of non-English speakers. I practiced law in both areas and because I took the time to learn Spanish, thought it would serve me well here.

Corpus is about 50% Hispanic but 90% Speak English.

Only in certain parts of the Rio Grande Valley do you run into almost total Spanish- although even there most can speak Engiish if they want to. I served a term as District Attorney in the valley, but I didn't really like the area.

Rockport on the other hand is super. Good schools,friendly people and no traffic. Rockport gets people from all over -because of the boating,fishing, yachting and construction. The only negative is that because of this there are more men than women- especially in the 45-55 group but its still a great place. Its growing and so easy to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas