Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM

129 posts, read 335,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
voting age at 16 !!! just because they hold a job !! think back to your 16 age and how mature you were then . i had a job selling papers ,but that did not make me mature enough to the point that i cold determine what was good for the country . go to any local mall and loo at the abundance of immature teens hanging out there . even at Mcbarfs there are plenty of same working there . NO ! i would not want tem to vote that will affect my life .
I'd be much more worried if only people over half the way through their natural life span would be able to solely determine the future of others than if16-year-olds were allowed to vote.

I wish Texas would repeal the law against murder from the hours of 4-6 PM Monday through Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 07:01 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Abilene
It is illegal to idle or loiter anyplace within the corporate limits of the city for the purpose of flirting or mashing.
Austin
Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket.
San Antonio
It is illegal for both sexes to flirt or respond to flirtation using the eyes and/or hands.
Richardson
It is now illegal to place a "for sale" sign on a car if it visible from the street.
(Whats the use? if you can't see it?)
Lubbock County
It is illegal to drive within an arm's length of alcohol - including alcohol in someone else's blood stream.
(technically an arresting officer would be in violation of this offense)
Port Arthur
Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator
(I don't know, maybe this one is ok)
Texarkana
Owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights.
(I wonder where you plug them in?)
Mesquite
It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts.
Clarendon
It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster.
El Paso
Churches, hotels, halls of assembly, stores, markets, banking rooms, railroad depots, and saloons are required to provide spittoons "of a kind and number to efficiently contain expectorations into them."
Houston
Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday,
but it may be purchased on Monday.

It is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday.
Galveston
It is illegal to drive a motor car down Broadway before noon on Sundays.
Jasper
Dogs must be on a leash at ALL times. Fine of 100 dollars.

These are a couple that could be reviewed.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Right now, if a child is "jumped" (attacked, whatever) in school, it is a criminal offense for the attacked child to defend themselves! They have to stand there and take the beating, or run. (Ask me how I know. ) Comparatively, we have "castle doctrine" and an adult can use deadly force to defend themselves or their property. I believe that a child should be able to use reasonable force to defend themselves at school.
that happened to me In High School, I was stabbed and beat the living hell out of the guy who did it, in the end I got arrested, charged with disturbing the peace (evend though I didnt initiate it) Disordely Conduct, Assault and Battery, and strikin a peace officer ( I had no coice the cop was pushing me, while I was defending myself from punches being thrown at me)

Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM

15 posts, read 41,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Open carry of beer? I think that is pretty much standard practice around here.
It would seem I was not specific enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
'Open carry' pertains the the visible carrying of sidearms/handguns (as opposed to concealed carry, which is allowed if you have a license).

Old 11-05-2008, 03:19 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
that happened to me In High School, I was stabbed and beat the living hell out of the guy who did it, in the end I got arrested, charged with disturbing the peace (evend though I didnt initiate it) Disordely Conduct, Assault and Battery, and strikin a peace officer ( I had no coice the cop was pushing me, while I was defending myself from punches being thrown at me)
I agree with you and it amazes me that this law/school regulation isn't challenged for its constitutionality. We all have the right to defend ourselves (not the right to have the "state" or school defend us). This is just another gross disregard for the US Constitution that many have willingly put up with (or just turned their eyes away from). No one can protect you better than yourself (even the cops are there only AFTER the crime has been committed). Of all places, who would have thought that Texas would have such an absurb law.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 AM

778 posts, read 2,503,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraejtp View Post
It would seem I was not specific enough.

I'm pretty sure I was just kidding.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 41,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
I'm pretty sure I was just kidding.
At first I though so too, but then someone else agreed with your interpretation.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I know this is very controversial, but I think is very stupid
Why is it that each state has a different age of consent???
Shouldn't it be just one age? or people don't realize how many people live a couple of miles from a different state?

The same person that is "doing nothing wrong" in X place, it's a "disgusting pervert" 2 miles down the street

BTW, before anybody says something crazy, the reason I've thought of that is because of a relative of mine that got in trouble.

Last edited by Dopo; 11-05-2008 at 05:34 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 11:30 PM

5 posts, read 10,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
voting age at 16 !!! just because they hold a job !! think back to your 16 age and how mature you were then . i had a job selling papers ,but that did not make me mature enough to the point that i cold determine what was good for the country . go to any local mall and loo at the abundance of immature teens hanging out there . even at Mcbarfs there are plenty of same working there . NO ! i would not want tem to vote that will affect my life .
We all have different levels of maturity regardless of our age. Some people never grow up.

The point is that we SHOULD be able to vote if we're working. At this moment, sixteen year olds are forced to accept the minimum wage. I know a lot of minors who work to help support their families, they have to help their mom and dad because inflation is rising.

They should be able to voice their minds. With a higher level of responsibility, teenagers would most likely act on a higher level of conscience knowing that they're accepted and that their voice is being heard. Instead of being disinterested in the political progress, they can work knowing they can vote for laws that support their lives.

====

Open carry of firearms!?

If that's the case, we should have more saloons around the place. I think open carry would make a lot of people uncomfortable, and unsafe, at the same time.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,146 times
B&P Code 7027.2 Bad California law.
Why...ask me.
scott@gouca.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas