Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Texas, seeking information on Austin, San Antonio, Houston, good schools, real estate prices, metro areas, cost of living

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,652 times

Advertisements

Again, how can any city be very conservative with those facts I stated? It just don't fit with the basic definition of the word.

From what I stated to the basic results of some the past local elections held in San Antonio that changed term limits that approved billions of dollars in new construction so the city could progress, etc, etc.

Yet you have yielded not one iota of evidence to affirm San Antonio as "very conservative" well, besides your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Also the systems you speak of in San Antonio may be underway, but I live here and I see nothing going on.
www.viabrt.net

Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
If you want to live near your parents, go with San Antonio. Austin would feel isolating (Fairbanks all over again) since it's small and hovering with around a million people in the region (compared to 2 million in San Antonio, and more in Houston and DFW) and it's better to live in the gorilla than next to it. San Antonio feels like a big city and it's booming right now. (Tip: If it starts getting stagnant again, leave immediately!)

Houston is (unbelievably) much closer to Austin than to San Antonio. If you want to live in a name-brand (gamma) world city again but close to your parents, Houston is it.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Houston is (unbelievably) much closer to Austin than to San Antonio. If you want to live in a name-brand (gamma) world city again but close to your parents, Houston is it.

Unbelievable indeed. According to google maps, downtowns to downtowns is only about a 12 mile difference (185 miles to Austin vs 197 to SA).

In my experience, it's 3 hours to either city, since there is no direct interstate route from Houston. 71 and 290 are both stopped up with traffic lights, while I-10 is a straight shot (usually) without interruptions.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 AM

Just to quickly add, San Antonio isn't known as a techy city nor is it a techy city in regards to having an overall big tech industry that takes up a big percentage of the overall economy but SA does have a growing tech sector in an already diverse economy of other industries in San Antonio.

For instance, check out Rackspace's new HQ in Windcrest: They want to turn Windcrest into a Tech Town with themselves and other tech related companies.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1513/rswcvh0.png

Just this week a tech company from Houston announced it was relocating to San Antonio.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...22/story9.html

SA is also home to NewTek, Blogcatalog.com, SATAI, etc.

Not to mention the Westover Hills data center hub where nearly 10 data centers have been built, including a half billion dollar 470,000 square foot Microsoft data center, with future plans to expand by double its size, with more data centers planned.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
haha I was so set on going to DFW when I first considered texas but now I am just going to go to the place where I can get the best job. Yup, I plan on looking for work in all three 3 metro areas. The 200 mile commute to go interview should be interesting. I plan on renting a place close to my location of work. What it comes down to is which city is the best work and live environment. That would be the location where you can get the best job without paying a bundle for living expenses. All of texas seems to be very affordable. When you are working 8-5 you aren't going to be going out on the town every night. You'll probably get home, make something at home and watch TV or so some other at home activity. Then on the weekend you can drive to whatever metro area you want to go to. It isn't going to kill you to drive 200 miles one way so you can go out on the town (unless of course you drive a gas guzzler).

Old 12-19-2008, 09:15 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Yea, I did hear about this. Sorry, my mistake. Still not finished though, and from the looks of the route pretty worthless. Again, this is my opinion. Unless you are in downtown and need to get to the Medical Center, or vice versa. Fairly undesireable areas in between. More of a low income transit system for the less desirables in the areas between to get in and out of the downtown and mess with San Antonio's tourism district, and I dbout I'll see many instances of individuals needing emergency medical assistance taking this.

Hey, at least we may see more crime downtown! I've been on these before and they tend to get pretty crummy if not kept up. From the looks of the route this should go downhill quickly. I really hope not, I love this city, just not too optomistic on this one.

Last edited by TX_AGGIE13; 12-19-2008 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 25,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
If you were moving to Texas from elsewhere, which city would you pick and why? I'm considering:

Austin - because I like the techy/geeky vibe and liberal attitude, plus my parents live there. It's still cheaper than Fairbanks.
Fort Worth - because it is cheap, cheap, cheap and near a major international airport. Seems like you can live there cheaper than Dallas and take the train when you want to do something in Dallas? My brother also lives in Denton.
San Antonio - because it is also cheap and very large. Seems like you can be close to Austin and get a larger city for less money? Thoughts?
Houston - on the list because it also has a major airport and is diverse and reasonably priced. Further from family and don't know about the humid weather. Good beaches nearby? Beaches would be nice.

We are looking for a place with relatively good schools. My husband is a high school math teacher. We'd like to be able to afford to live near the school.

I know Texas has more suburban sprawl in most cities, but I would like a place where I could walk some. I'd also like a fairly diverse place with lots of different types of people.

What appeals to me about Texas? My family lives there. No more snow and 40 below winters...ever! Shopping malls, chain restaurants, and plentiful, cheap real estate. Being able to walk outside at some point during the day, year round would be a plus. I mean, even when we went to Austin in July and it was 96 everyday, you could still take a short walk outside at some point during the day and breathe a little fresh air. Here, in Fairbanks, you drive half a block in the winter and warm your car up 20 minutes to do so because it's too cold! Sunshine, sunshine, and sunshine!

We'd consider towns that border the big cities, if they are cheaper, have better schools and basically feel like you live in the city anyway, but no isolated, small towns. I guess I'm more thinking, what metro/area would you pick and why?
I lived in Victoria, Texas 12 years ago, and it was beautiful. The winters required jackets but never no snow. I am trying to move back to Texas but I still cant decide if I want to go back south or move to Dallas/ Forth Worth area. I also thought about San Antonio. Texas is a big state....such hard choices.....any ideas!!!!! Happy Holidays.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,646 times
Something to consider when thinking of Austin is that it is a major university city, which makes its central city area comparatively more expensive than, say, San Antonio. The seasonal influx of students and the associated shortages of available apartment housing has always made downtown and the UT-area of Austin, its most walkable urban areas, simply outlandish in terms of housing costs, while in summer when the bulk of the students leave it can seem pretty remote. I remember the rental costs for a single-room efficiency ($1000+/month!?!) being more than many mortgage payments for a middle-class 4-bedroom suburban home in Northside San Antonio. As Austin is also popularly reviewed nationally for those relocating, its suburban housing market also gets tight (99% occupancy when I was last looking a few years ago), often making for higher costs and waiting lists for both home purchases and home rentals. Given that both cities have walkable downtowns encircled by unwalkable sprawl, and both have extensive bus systems, if affordability is an issue, San Antonio may be worth a closer look.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:22 PM

78 posts, read 203,206 times
I agree with TexasHorseLady; Roundrock or Georgetown

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas