Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:26 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times

Advertisements

The motto of Chile is "Friendship"? Not in English, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 PM

According to my research, the motto of Chile is "Por la razon o la fuerza" -- "By reason or [by] force". The implications would seem rather the opposite of the Texas motto.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Heh, why do so many contries flags look similar...bars, stripes, stars....they all look about the same for many countries...I am guessing most of those people coming up with the Texas flag had no idea what the Chilean flag looked like (if they could find Chile on a map ).
Ecuador and Colombia copied from Venezuela
Venezuela copied from Russia

Russia

Venezuela

Colombia

Ecuador

Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 AM

There's no point in asserting some deliberate falsehood that naive persons might believe, i.e. Venezuela copying its banner from Russia. Grow up.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
much ado about nothing

Old 09-22-2009, 06:52 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
i.e. Venezuela copying its banner from Russia. Grow up.
I knew that some ignorant person was gonna make a comment like that.

Russkiy Mir Foundation :: Diaspora Communities :: Russia and Russians in Serbian History, Part 3 (http://russkiymir.org/en/diaspora/ - broken link)

Very few people know that Venezuela’s national hero, Francisco de Miranda, was the first Latin American to initiate contact with Russia. He spent a year living in Russia and received the rank of colonel from Catherine the Great.
A rumor exists which holds that de Miranda took the Russian flag as the basis for his revolutionary flag, substituting the white stripe, which he associated with Russia’s snow, with a yellow stripe to symbolize the wealth of the American continent.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 AM

Even if some Russians endorse that mythology, that would be an example of Great Russian Chauvinism, a particularly absurd example of which is that the original religion of Lithuania (a country in which I've lived) is Russian Orthodoxy, when in fact Lithuania was the last European country to be pressured into converting from its native pagan religion to Christianity by the Teutonic Knights who repeatedly harried and invaded the country. This conversion was to Roman Catholic Christianity and never to Orthodoxy. The relatively small number of Orthodox congregations in Lithuania have been established to serve Russian immigrants and have never been churches for ethnic Lithuanians. This is just one of many examples of Russian nationalists trying to claim Russian origins for all sorts of things.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
Ecuador, Colombia,and Venezuela took thier flag from Bolivar's state of Gran Columbia.

Gran Colombia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Ecuador, Colombia,and Venezuela took thier flag from Bolivar's state of Gran Columbia.

Gran Colombia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unquestionably that is the direct origin of the extremely similar flags of these three countries that were briefly parts of a single nation. I suppose one might ask about the inspiration of the original design of the flag of Gran Colombia, but I don't buy the idea of a Russian flag inspiration. The leading republican inspirations at the time of South American liberation were France (which had fallen back into monarchy) and the USA. The Russian tricolour of the day typically had a double-headed eagle device superimposed on it, being an emblem of the tsar. Miranda, BTW, was the "forerunner" of Venezuelan independence and was incarcerated by the Spanish. He did, I believe, play a small role in the American Revolution and was influenced by both the French and American revolutions. He did not live to play a direct role in the final liberation of the northern portion of S. America that was spearheaded by Simon Bolivar.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
There are only so many distinctively different colors which can be used on flags, so with as many countries as there are, some similarities are unavoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas