Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
yes i am church going.
yes i am very conservative republican
yes i am FIERCELY PROUD of Texas
i am a cowgirl type of woman. i like to ride, i go to every roping and rodeo there is. i hunt. i fish. i listen to only TEXAS country music (not Nashville country).
will i fit in, in West Texas?
if i dont, then at least i know i will fit in where i SPENT MOST of my adult life-in the rural counties betwee Ft Worth and Wichita Falls...i just dont want to go back there cuz i have way too many ex's in that part of Texas!!

Well, there is your problem. I look at Texas as devided into three parts. North and East Texas: Southern United States Texas, Conservative Republican church going people who are proud to be texans (Think of Hank Hill.) West Texas: Southwestern United states with a fairly good mix of these two. El Paso is really close to Juarez.

South Texas: Southwestern United States, The LIBERAL BELT as most Northern and Eastern Texans call us starts in Austin and continues down to Laredo and McAllen. The majority of Texas voting in South Texas vote Democratically and have Liberal values.I for one have lived in San Antonio all of my life and have never voted for a republican...I don't know anyone who has.

But I must admit that I, a hispanic male in his early twenties without a Texas twang, southern draw, or Mexican accent, and my wife,an African American women in her early twenties felt racism in North and East Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM

392 posts, read 749,470 times
The answer to "South Texas or West Texas" is this: "neither." My favorite place is the Hill Country!

(I don't have a problem with South or West Texas though. I just really love the Hill Country.)

Old 10-26-2013, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
The RGV is very rich with Mexican traditions. Mexican has a very beautiful culture full of diversities, but I am full Mexican, my dad is half white(spain) Mexican & half native (Aztec) my mom is full white Mexican. Mexicans are the most racist people against our own people, I have to admit. I have a bit of tan to my skin but I am light with light hair, & my cousins call me dirty skinned, at school I am referred to as "black" because my skin has a bit of orange to it. Here, if you are not white with blonde hair & blue eyes with perfect Spanish accents & such you are discriminated against. Our schools are mostly Hispanic but the Mexicans here seem to be whiter than the actual Anglos.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:00 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiginton59 View Post
Warm, Very Friendly, Beautiful lakes, rivers and parks, big art and music scene, great tourist attraction, low cost of living, great schools and ideal for retiring people and family living. San Angelo has always been in my heart and is now my permanent home. I have lived all over Texas and love it here. Check out this web site for more information: San Angelo Texas real estate homes properties and online real estate search
Yeah, I love it here in San Angelo.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
I for one would choose not to get into this discussion. I will however say that diversity MAKES Texas just like it makes the United States. It's like posing the question what defines "American", answer: The many cultures and the "melting pot" that makes up the United States. Same goes for Texas..

Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I for one would choose not to get into this discussion. I will however say that diversity MAKES Texas just like it makes the United States. It's like posing the question what defines "American", answer: The many cultures and the "melting pot" that makes up the United States. Same goes for Texas..
Totally agree, I have been down there before for an extended period of time and I never had problems there. I was glad there wasn't any "texas twang" or any of the other annoying nuances that I seem to find in east texas.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 PM

43 posts, read 123,964 times
So much racism in this thread lol but it actually made me laughed!

The point about the abuse of government funds can be true but it is also true for any race.

But who would live in south texas? Flat, humid, plain ugly, discousting....so funy that "notam" poster went straight to race....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas