Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

There is always a catch to all federal funds. Not taking it means that small businesses will not suffer.these cost are always passed along to consumers as a cost of doing business;so we pay part of this cost and even more when the funds runout. Better to fund this another way IMO.Some states have no option as they are running out how and have no money to fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
These bills coming out of the new Congress are huge (over 1000 pages) with no time for the CongressCritters to even read what they are voting on.

I have no doubt they are loaded with "strings". The VA discovered by reading the bill that Vets will be no longer covered under the new budget for their war related injuries. The government is counting on a new revenue stream in the omnibus budget from "3rd party (ie, private insurance) payments for Vet medical care. That one was well buried and now that it's been discovered, I'm sure the new Administration will back off from it. Pays to really study this stuff.

You just don't know what they plan until you read it all. I'm not a Perry fan and never have been. He is still the Governor of Texas - it's his job to look after the State ... now and in the future. I give him the benefit of the doubt for now, especially since he is not the only Governor who is turning down this "help".

Rick Perry is a pure career politician with ambitions. I've never doubted that. Can he take his ambition out of Texas to the National scene? Who knows - in the meantime, it serves HIS interests to do the best he can for Texas in an uncertain time ... that's what we are living today, a very uncertain time. There were a couple of committees that poured over the new bills to find out what it all meant. Perry would not go against their findings ... it would be political suicide.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I'll vote for Perry in the next elections
if he has refused to take federal funds 1 time before 2009.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:41 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
His "Bolstering Conservative Credentials" strategy backfired on him. It is a miscalculation on his part. He might be able to get the public to forget about it as fast as Bush mentioned Iraq's "Weapons of Mass Destruction." The TV stations have footage of unemployment lines and the narrator mentions 6% unemployment rate and impending unemployment agency insolvency.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM

398 posts, read 1,416,955 times
Que viva kinky friedman!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:27 PM

17 posts, read 35,837 times
Not counting mine, there have been 25 posts in this thread, and not a single poster has identified the purpose of the unemployment scheme.

It is not to "help workers". The sole purpose of the clause is to continue to centralize power inj the federal government. They use various tools to achieve this, in this case unemployment. The federal government is not satisfied with wielding the most power. A central government wants all the power. That's the nature of the beast.

Reducing the power of the several states bit by bit, and concentrating it fully in the hands of the federal monopoly is the goal and has been since reconstruction, but especially since December of 1913. I liken the federal monster to Hal 9000 in 2001 a Space Odyssey. Dave Bowman would be we the people (the body politic) represented by our elected state officials a.k.a. the several states. HAL is the federal monster we created which has now become openly hostile to us by virtue of taking our power by diluting and repealing our rights.

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Dave, I read you.
Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL?
HAL: I know you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Remember brothers and sisters, our founders gave us a republic not a democracy. They sent King George a letter and told him that their rights did not emanate from his throne, but directly from the throne of God Himself. Our form of government does not allow for the government to be the arbiter of our rights. Our system of government was modeled so that a central government would be less powerful than those of the states.

Our Bill of Rights does not give us our "rights". The BOR was a letter to the central government giving it specific powers and what was not given to it by the constitution was reserved to the several states. The Second Amendment for example does not give you the right to bear arms. Our founding documents clearly state that those right are given to man by God Himself, and the Second Amendment is just a friendly reminder to the central government that it has no power to ever infringe upon that God-given right.

The fact that our central government violates its own constitution routinely and tramples our God given rights gleefully, is a testament to the ignorance of the people. It is no accident that our schools do not teach the true nature of how our government once operated. A dumbed-down citizenry is one which is easily led astray. No better example of that exists in recent history than the recent election of a known Marxist to the White House.

I to would have loved to see a black president in the white house. Not a leftist ideologue who only cares about pushing his agenda of retribution, redistribution, and collusion with like-minded traitors, but a real black man like Walter Williams or Thomas Sowell. Men with integrity, honor, intelligence, and most importantly perhaps who love their country, and consider their country to be America, not Africa.

Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Frank, none of those scumbags are worthy to tie the shoelaces of Williams or Sowell. Now what were we talking about? Oh yeah, federal unemlpoyment money for the states. If you have not yet gathered, I am opposed to it.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
I to would have loved to see a black president in the white house. Not a leftist ideologue who only cares about pushing his agenda of retribution, redistribution, and collusion with like-minded traitors, but a real black man like Walter Williams or Thomas Sowell. Men with integrity, honor, intelligence, and most importantly perhaps who love their country, and consider their country to be America, not Africa.

AMEN.

As one poster said in another forum, "America, what have you done?"

Old 03-14-2009, 06:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Like I said ... these bills are over 1000 pages long. They go back and change laws that were passed 50 years ago or more. The CongressCritters don't even read what they vote on. Part of that is because Nancy girl doesn't give the them the time to do so ... BUT, it's also because they think they have a job for life and don't care about those of us who put them in office.

Politics has become a career for these bozos. They tie up the money, they think they can do anything (or nothing) they want and they will continue to get elected. Why do they think that?

Because the people have allowed it. Time to wake up folks. They are not there for "us", they are there for them and we pay the tab for it.

K

Old 03-14-2009, 06:11 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
rick perry's "good intentions" in this case are completely spoiled by his actions the last 9 years as governor. I personally don't trust a single word the man says. he's a corporate kiss-up who's proven to be a lobbyist's best friend.

if it's not building a for-profit, foreign-owned super slab tollway that 70% of texans oppose, it's trying to set up other sweetheart deals like selling the lottery to ubs at phil gramm's urging or forcing every young girl in texas to get the gardasil shot that his former chief-of-staff lobbied for.

perry's an out of touch scumbag. He won the last election even though 61% of voters voted against him. regardless of where his heart is, it's long beyond time for him to go.
bingo!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
never forget Perry is an Aggie--
he knows the legislature (even the Republicans) will override this decision of his and the state will get the money--when it is gone--the legislature will revert to the way it calculates UEB currently--which has created a large shortfall because Perry in all his wisdom refused to increase the business portion when times were good and the economy was cooking--IF he had done that TX and its UEB people would have been in much better shape than it is now...
...because he is a died in the wool I never re-think an issue Republican
it is long overdue for him to be out of office--heck---he never should have been elected in the first place IMO...he gives Aggies a bad name...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: