Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 AM

472 posts, read 1,792,210 times

Advertisements

There seems to be alot of discussion on the topic of Marijuana whether it be Medical Marijuana or looking to legalize/decrimalize Marijuana so that it can be taxed to help the economy. Im just wondering why these discussions are not happening in Texas. Are we that conservative/closed minded/backwards?

What are your thoughts?

medical marijuana - Google News

Last edited by Bo; 03-19-2009 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 AM

452 posts, read 1,027,776 times
I would vote for legalizing/decriminalizing. At the very least, for medical purposes, especially since marijuana has less adverse effects than many of the prescribed meds out there. People who want to use it will use it, whether it's legal or not, so why not legalize and tax, IMO?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,586,220 times
There is a huge political power in south Texas that will do anything and everything in it's power to thwart any effort to legalize pot. It's called the Mexican Drug Cartels.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM

452 posts, read 1,027,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
There is a huge political power in south Texas that will do anything and everything in it's power to thwart any effort to legalize pot. It's called the Mexican Drug Cartels.
How so?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Interesting,
because the money that they are making, we could be making that money in taxes

Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Interesting,
because the money that they are making, we could be making that money in taxes
It wouldn't be anywhere near the money that they're making. We're talking medicinal purposes, correct? How many people do you think actually need it? Remember, we just turned down stimulus money...we must not need it that badly.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 03-19-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,629,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
It wouldn't be anywhere near the money that they're making. We're talking medicinal purposes, correct? How many people do you think actually need it? Remember, we just turned down stimulus money...we must not need it that badly.

I believe the term(s) "legalize/decriminalize" was used also.

I am all for the decriminalization of weed ... errrr ... pot .... errrr .... marijuana, dude! I think that is a righteous idea !!!!

I'm sure if I burned a couple of high grade reefers I wouldn't care how high my taxes are gonna be raised! Or at least I wouldn't realize it !

Party on!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:55 PM

361 posts, read 924,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
I would vote for legalizing/decriminalizing. At the very least, for medical purposes, especially since marijuana has less adverse effects than many of the prescribed meds out there. People who want to use it will use it, whether it's legal or not, so why not legalize and tax, IMO?

I have to agree. Weed is less narcotic than legal prescriptives like vicodin, plus not as addictive.

I am no fan of potheads, but weed became illegal in the early 1900's at approximately the same time alcohol became legal thanks to prohobitionist puritains. We've now had three Presidents in a row smoke weed. It's time to change an out-dated law.........

Quote:
Yep. If it gets legalized, then it would be grown domestically, and the Mexican cartels would be out tens of millions of dollars. THE reason for the violence along the border is drugs coming to the US. legalizing weed would deal a death blow to cartels and even street gangs here in the US and put that money into the law-abiding as well as the taxes. Not only would it devastate their sales of illegal weed, it would hurt their sales of other drugs too as a legal high would be bought anywhere, making it more attractive than tracking down some criminal with meth or crack.

Plus the taxes. The government can't make tobacco users pay all the country's bills (even though they'd love to) and weed would provide an instant windfall in revenue that it really needs right now.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
firstclassflyer: How many of us actually need alcohol? (Many more than pot, since it is more addictive.) I think that one reason pot is so far from being legalized is the booze lobby, which fears that the easily-grown marijuana plant might cut into their sales. It's a lot harder to make your own whiskey. Lots of people went blind or died during Prohibition trying to make their own 'bathtub gin'.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,210 times
Thanks for the San Antonio replies yall got in before this thread was moved.

Snappy Bob you make a great and scary point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas