Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,216 times

Advertisements

Greetings!
In a few years I wish to retire near San Marcos. I have read glowing reports about Austin and San Antonio, but very little about San Marcos. I like it being a University town and it appears to have lower housing prices compared to its bigger neighbors.
Any comments about San Marcos? Thanks!
esteps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 01:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteps
Greetings!
In a few years I wish to retire near San Marcos.
San Marcos is a nice, clean college town....Sis attended/graduated from what was then called Southwest Texas State (now Texas State University), and I always enjoyed my visits there. She lives in a small bedroom community north of there now. Housing isn't cheap, but it's all relative, I guess.

Very pretty, attractive, lots of things to do and bigger places nearby.

You could do a lot worse than SM, IMHO.

Last edited by Yac; 07-26-2006 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 17,229 times
I've found that mysanmarvelous.com has extension lists of information about San Marcos and the local community.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:01 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default San Marcos

San Marcos is a nice city (I wouldn't really call it a town). You're close to Austin and not to far from San Antonio. Plus you have the Hill Country next door to the West. Oh, I guess if you must shop...there is Tanger Outlet. Here are some useful San Marcos links.

http://ci.san-marcos.tx.us/
http://www.sanmarcostexas.com/tourism/default.htm (broken link)
http://texfiles.com/sanmarcostexas/index.htm

Old 09-04-2006, 12:08 PM

14 posts, read 255,943 times
Two words....party city....Have you thought about New Braunsful? Its closer to San Antonio than to Austin, but I think that its alot nicer. My In-laws and my best friend and her in-laws all live there. Everyone that I have known to live there loved it.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,600 times
Looking for places to rent in the Seguin area that has land enough to plant a garden. Need 3/2/2 single story.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I have visitors who come on Amtrak, and I pick them up and drop them off in San Marcos (much easier than SA or Austin). I (and my visitors) are very impressed with San Marcos, which seems like a really lovely, liveable place. There is a very inviting park along both banks of the river, where people swim, even after dark, which seems to be a nice feature.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
San Marcos is a nice little city. The only things I wouldn't like about it are the long, hot and humid summers and the terrible traffic on I-35 between Austin and SA. But the town itself is very clean and interesting.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:19 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,506 times
Wow, this is a really old thread to suddenly spring back to life
My brother teaches at Texas State, and loves it in San Marcos.
I like it well enough when visiting him that if I ever move from Alabama (which depends on a number of factors, such as being able to sell my house in Alabama for a decent price) , I will strongly consider moving to the San Marcos area myself. I work from home, so where I choose to live will be based just on where I want to live, rather than depending on the job market in the traditional sense.

Quote:
The only things I wouldn't like about it are the long, hot and humid summers and the terrible traffic on I-35 between Austin and SA.
The redeeming feature of the hot summers is the cool, spring-fed river (71-72 degrees year-round). I-35 doesn't bother me too much, except for the 5 miles or so leading into downtown Austin. I-35 from San Marcos going south usually goes pretty smoothly.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM

22 posts, read 74,144 times
Well, back to life it is! I actually love San Marcos; it is a medium sized city that continues to grow each year. It is, of course, a "college town," but the students respect fellow san marcos residents very well. The city is made up of about half college kids and half permanent residents.

Plus, there is actually a pretty well sized group of retirees living here, which you can always tell by how fast they are driving. lol

As far as parties go, this is a college town, but the city and university have a close relationship with each other to ensure that San Marcos residents are not bothered by the activities of students; any police officer will testify to that.

Of course, the campus is beautiful.

And to add to all of that, if you love shopping, you will also love it here. The san marcos outlets offer a wide variety of stores to cater to everyone's shopping addictions. The range from simple big and tall outlets, to gucci, Saks, and lacoste stores. We also have a brand new Target, Best Buy, JC Penney, and lowes.

In Conclusion, New Braunfuls is boring; come and enjoy the stunning rolling hills of San Marcos.

(:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas