Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 PM

25 posts, read 91,514 times

Advertisements

Yes I am going to Texas Tech. I chose it over the University of Oklahoma because I don't want to be caught in a tornado and I liked the program at tech better. I guess if I find Lubbock as weird as you say it is, I can still live with it because I will only be there for 2 years. If I do like it and find a good job I might stay. I am just so sick of New York's winters. Is Lubbock really that bad? Also a lot of New Yorkers are weird too lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:43 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Well, you can throw that tornado business out the car window while driving on down...
Quote:
The 1970 Lubbock tornado was a tornado event that occurred in Lubbock, Texas on May 11, 1970. It was one of the worst tornadoes in Texas history, and occurred exactly 17 years to the day after the deadly Waco Tornado. It is also the most recent F5 tornado to have struck a central business district of a large or mid-sized city.
And you'll miss the opportunity to attend one of Texas' better schools, the University of Texas at Norman, locally referred to as OU. Hope you like football.

Some bars/clubs in Texas will card you at entry, especially if you don't look really old for your age. Some will give you some trouble with an out of state ID. It's your call. And I don't think the people in Lubbock will give you a hard time with NY plates on the car since it will make them feel really really international. They may even want you to take them for a ride.

Hope you like football.

Hook 'Em

Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Well, you can throw that tornado business out the car window while driving on down...

And you'll miss the opportunity to attend one of Texas' better schools, the University of Texas at Norman, locally referred to as OU. Hope you like football.

Some bars/clubs in Texas will card you at entry, especially if you don't look really old for your age. Some will give you some trouble with an out of state ID. It's your call. And I don't think the people in Lubbock will give you a hard time with NY plates on the car since it will make them feel really really international. They may even want you to take them for a ride.

Hope you like football.

Hook 'Em
I definitely don't look 22 years old, hope they won't give me too much of a hard time. No one in their right mind would want to make a fake New York State drivers license anyways because it would be too difficult due to the holograms and you not being able to chalk them anymore. I will also have to get use to Texas being a big football state and that university being a football school. I personally am a big hockey fan being from a cold climate.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorker View Post
I definitely don't look 22 years old, hope they won't give me too much of a hard time. No one in their right mind would want to make a fake New York State drivers license anyways because it would be too difficult due to the holograms and you not being able to chalk them anymore. I will also have to get use to Texas being a big football state and that university being a football school. I personally am a big hockey fan being from a cold climate.
I don't know where these people are getting these ideas from (maybe hatred for Tech), but there are tons of out-of-state license plates here in Lubbock. It seems like most of them are from California, Florida, or the Midwest I see a New York license plate every once in a while. Nobody will give you a hard time. Tornadoes are not a problem here either. Lubbock has only been hit by a tornado once in its 100 year history. Texas Tech does have a hockey team, but I don't know how good they are. You might find Lubbock pretty different since you are moving across the country.

Last edited by Westerner92; 07-04-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
yorker, you are going to be in for bigtime culture shock when you hit the Hub of the Plains! You should have checked out the place before deciding to attend grad school there.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
yorker, you are going to be in for bigtime culture shock when you hit the Hub of the Plains! You should have checked out the place before deciding to attend grad school there.
The place has changed since the 70s, you know.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:45 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
It's still going to be a major shock to the eye, believe me. Further, the City of Lubbock is one of the most politically and socially conservative places in the nation and that can't be denied -- it's objectively evidenced by voting patterns, social polling, churches, etc.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
that is the thrill of it i guess, not knowing if you will fit in or not. the reason i chose to go to school in texas was because i wanted to go some where different and experience a different culture than NY. i could have easily gone to grad school in NY and pay in-state tuition but i chose not to for that reason.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
"City of Lubbock is one of the most politically and socially conservative places in the nation and that can't be denied -- it's objectively evidenced by voting patterns, social polling, churches, etc"

More evidence that the OP has made a good decision!

We loved living in Lubbock, moved there from Colorado Springs.....the people I went to school with (Tech) were from all over the country (the world, actually).

Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 AM

185 posts, read 463,704 times
yorker,
I think there is a law where you have like 30 days to change your plates and get an ID with your new Texas address on it. However, its kind of like the speed limit law. You know, dont go over 30 mph, and everyone goes over 30, most everyone. I guess it really depends on how much of a law abider you are. I kind of shun rather small insignificant laws myself, but now as I'm getting older, I've learned sometimes its better to just go by the book.
Just go to the place, tell them you want to re-register your car, pay like a little bit of mula, then go to the ID gettin place, and tell them your new address. So that way you wont have to worry yourself.
Culture shock? It sounds like thats what you want to me. It is cool to go to other places, and realize that people are not all the same, and who knows you may fall in love with Texas; although, Lubbock is not exactly one of the best places to fall in love with in Texas. Not to say you might not love it, but your really there for your eduacation, both in your field of study, and in life itself.

Welcome Pardner, o bienvenidos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: