Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonga View Post
Do you have evidence that Perry was involved in 'lining the vaccine makers pockets'? - or is it true because you read it on the Internet?
Are you kidding me? This is the best you can do? Why do you suppose he was pushing so hard for a MANDATE for young girls to receive a vaccine that (though not anywhere near 100% effective) is used to prevent a SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE? I thought Perry was supposed to be a social conservative. Had a Democrat pushed for this vaccine to be given to young girls (and many did back Perry on this), social conservatives would have been screaming bloody murder about how the "nanny government" was trying to take the place of parents and how the government was telling young girls it was OK to have sex.
Thank heavens plenty of social conservatives did speak up and fight him on the mandate, and I was happy as an independent to find some common ground with those folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Do you have evidence that Perry was involved in 'lining the vaccine makers pockets'? - or is it true because you read it on the Internet?
C'mon slonga - connect the dots. The Gardasil mandate was pushed by a Merck lobbyist who just HAPPENED to be Perry's former chief-of-staff.

Texas carries a lot of clout in this country. Just look at the private toll road explosion that's spreading across the country. Texas was a test-bed for it.

Merck intended to get Texas to sign onto mandatory vaccination so that the other states would fall in line.

You honestly think for one second that Merck is doing this out of the kindness of their heart? If so, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:29 PM

124 posts, read 253,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
C'mon slonga - connect the dots. The Gardasil mandate was pushed by a Merck lobbyist who just HAPPENED to be Perry's former chief-of-staff.

Texas carries a lot of clout in this country. Just look at the private toll road explosion that's spreading across the country. Texas was a test-bed for it.

Merck intended to get Texas to sign onto mandatory vaccination so that the other states would fall in line.

You honestly think for one second that Merck is doing this out of the kindness of their heart? If so, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.
Of course Merck is not doing it out of the kindness of it's heart -- that is how capitalism works - the entrepreneurial motive drives companies to create great products (like Gardasil and yes! Lipitor) and make a profit to boot. Believe me its a system that beats all others.

The lobbyist in question (Mike Toomey) also represented most Fortune 500 companies and was chief of Staff for 2 governors. You imply that he solely represented Merck. Methinks you add one and one and get 5.

ps The Economist magazine has a special report on Texas called Lone Star Rising where it concludes - Texas has become a well diversified financially sensible state and Gov. Perry deserves some credit for this. He has been a powerful advocate for entreprenership, low taxes and small government. Carry on Texas!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Of course Merck is not doing it out of the kindness of it's heart -- that is how capitalism works - the entrepreneurial motive drives companies to create great products (like Gardasil and yes! Lipitor) and make a profit to boot. Believe me its a system that beats all others.

The lobbyist in question (Mike Toomey) also represented most Fortune 500 companies and was chief of Staff for 2 governors. You imply that he solely represented Merck. Methinks you add one and one and get 5.

ps The Economist magazine has a special report on Texas called Lone Star Rising where it concludes - Texas has become a well diversified financially sensible state and Gov. Perry deserves some credit for this. He has been a powerful advocate for entreprenership, low taxes and small government. Carry on Texas!

Then why did Merck not go to any other state and get them to make it mandatory.

As for Perry and the low taxes........ HELLO!!! Check out what he has done for the Franchise Tax for business owners. He is KILLING small businesses. Our franchise tax rates DOUBLED in the last year. BECAUSE OF PERRY! I know of some businesses their franchise tax rates from the previous years TRIPLED! He is NOT a friend of small business owners in the State of Texas. How this can mean is a "powerful advocate for enterprenership" I don't know. If a small business person gets taxed out of business because of the franchise tax they have to pay that is NOT friendly at all. Bush was going to abolish it, or at least that is what he said when he was running for gov. I sure didn't believe him and didn't vote for him. Sure enough he completely forgot about that campaign promise as soon as he got into office. Perry hasn't done anything about it either except RAISE the rates.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Far as I am concerned, Rick Perry, showed some guts and spoke some truth in THIS regard, at least.....
Political posturing, nothing more. It takes no guts at all to pander to your base.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM

124 posts, read 253,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Then why did Merck not go to any other state and get them to make it mandatory.
Does NOT prove anything - one should NEVER make conclusions from one data point. I would not like to ask you how many shooters were on the grassy knoll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
As for Perry and the low taxes........ HELLO!!! Check out what he has done for the Franchise Tax for business owners. He is KILLING small businesses. Our franchise tax rates DOUBLED in the last year. BECAUSE OF PERRY! I know of some businesses their franchise tax rates from the previous years TRIPLED! He is NOT a friend of small business owners in the State of Texas. How this can mean is a "powerful advocate for enterprenership" I don't know. If a small business person gets taxed out of business because of the franchise tax they have to pay that is NOT friendly at all. Bush was going to abolish it, or at least that is what he said when he was running for gov. I sure didn't believe him and didn't vote for him. Sure enough he completely forgot about that campaign promise as soon as he got into office. Perry hasn't done anything about it either except RAISE the rates.
Wrong - the increase in margin tax was due to the screaming democrats who are demanding increase in all taxes. Perry was consistently against the franchise tax.

Why the anger. Business taxes here are VERY low and they also plan to scrap the franchise tax for all business' with sales less than 1 Million. As a business owner we have an obligation to pay some taxes and business taxes in Texas are very low. It should be a moral obligation for all to pay business taxes and the old method was full of loopholes that helped many unscruplous businesses' avoid paying any taxes.

Texas is the #1 state for business in the US and Perry has consistenly fought against state SPENDING. Look at the colors of all of those who hate hime here -- their complaint is that he did not approve this or that program or give state employees the fat benefits that they enjoy in California.

Perry has consistently fought to stop this state turning into the next California. He is not perfect but is better than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: