Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 24,192 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My fiance(soon to be married) and i just got transfered to for hood, and im so new to the whole army thing! We have a young son who is almost 2 and so we are looking for somewhere off base to live we have heard copperas cove is good?? Also what would be the best way to meet people? We will not have any friends and i wont have any women to talk to Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM

158 posts, read 471,623 times
Copperas Cove is nice, Harker Heights is nice and many areas of Killeen are nice. As with any town and any city there are places that are more desirable than others, but I lived in that area for nine years and I didn't see anything that was completely unacceptable. Depends on where you are coming from...etc.

How soon are you to be married? On post housing is very nice (for the most part) and the utilities can be a bit expensive in that part of the world (especially during the summer months which are long). Many people find that living on post is financially advantageous and easier socially given that Fort Hood is in a continuous (and has been for many years) deployment cycle. It's nice to make friends and have neighbors that know exactly what you are going through. Just my humble opinion. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM

we are in atlanta right now so it will be a change for me.. he is from there so he absolutly loves it! We are getting married in a few months and he leaves this month it got moved up.. The only thing with on post is i think the waiting list is like a year or something.... Im sure he will get deployed fast so i would feel much safer on post but i dont know that, that can happen.. are their any wives groups or anything like that?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 AM

I can't imagine an assignment on Fort Hood that wouldn't include a deployment for the soldier. I'm sorry to put it that way. I have seen a few soldiers here and there that don't deploy but by far most are assigned to units that do deploy. So I think you are wise to anticipate that georgiagrl.

Yup, if you are coming from Atlanta or east of the Mississippi it's going to be a change for you. Just the weather and the landscape for the most part. I grew to love it though

When you get to Fort Hood check out the ACS they have classes that introduce you to life at Fort Hood also since you will be a new military wife I always suggest taking the AFTB classes (1 and 2) Army family team building. There will be FRG's (company, battalion, brigade) there are many social groups that meet that you might be interested in that are a part of the Fort Hood community.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 PM

awesome thank you!! also do you know anything about the day care on base?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:36 PM

In order to get daycare of post you will have to register your child (once you are married, you're going to have to be married hun).

There is a building on post called the Copeland Center (your soldier will know exactly where it is, it is where he inprocessed and it will be where you get your military ID card for yourself once you marry).

In the housing office of the Copeland Center you can go in and register your child for CYS (Child and Youth Services) and when you do that you will be able to access childcare on post.

I strongly urge you to use childcare on post. It's safe, clean and all of the workers are trained extensively. You will like them The cost is according to income so it's a sliding scale. Also if, once you marry, and your Husband is deployed ~ Many times they offer a certain amount of free childcare to the Junior enlisted family members. At one time they offered it across the board General Officer dependent to dependent of E-1! (I told you Fort Hood had it going on :wink: )

Here is a link that will tell you what documents to bring with you when you register your child. You can click on that casading menu under the heading listed: Print your forms, fill them out, make an appt. and make sure to take all the documents listed~ and you should be in and out pronto~

++ Fort Hood FMWR ++ Central Enrollment Registry

Another great link for all military wives who want to be in the know:
Welcome to Fort Hood Army Community Service

Once you get there make sure to go to the "Hood Howdy" information fair. ACS has some fabulous classes that will allow you to empower yourself with knowledge not only about Fort Hood but the Army. I suggest the AFTB class (level 1 and 2) and also the community resources class for you. Those classes are in the Oveta Culp Building that sits adjacent to the Copeland Center. Just give them a call and reserve a seat. They have on-site childcare for you during class.

Good luck and welcome to being an important part of the Army, by keeping the homefires burning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas